Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

spironolactone and ARB drugs

Started by MelissaRC, June 29, 2015, 05:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MelissaRC

I have been on estradiol for about 45 days, and thinking about adding an anti-androgen like spironolactone. However, I also have high-blood pressure (very well controlled) and take an ARB (Losartan) and mild beta blockers. I am tolerating the estradiol well, but wonder if there might be an interaction in between the spiro and ARB? 

Is anyone out there on a similar combination?

(and, yes, I will see a doc soon ...)
  •  

Mariah

Hi Melissa, welcome to Susan's. We have no way of knowing for sure if it is or isn't. Obviously you must be having an issue of some kind that you feel needs addressing. I would take that up with your doctor. I look forward to seeing you around the forums. Good luck and Hugs
Mariah

Things that you should read

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Rachel

I can not answer your question but welcome to Susan's.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

katrinaw

Welcome to Susan's Melissa

Sorry I can't answer your Q either, however your Dr or Endo will be able to help you.
I think, i recall, that Spiro does help in Oedema related issues, not sure about its effect on BP tho.

Look forward to seeing you about.

L Katy  :-*
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

.Christy

Hyperkalemia and hypotension may occur depending on the dose ur doc starts u out on.
My life doesn't exist in this lifetime.

•  

Randi

Simply Google, "Drug Interactions" or "Drug interaction checker" and you will find several sites that will provide the answers to your question.

"losartan oral + spironolactone oral

losartan oral and spironolactone oral both increase potassium levels in the blood"
  •  

Eva Marie

My endo has prescribed both spiro and Losartan for me since I have high BP. Of course I'm on estrogen and progesterone too, also prescribed by him. So far nothing has rotted off [emoji1]
  •  

fairview

I'm taking both the lostran and Spiro by rx. Doctor had no problem. That combo finally got me down to a healthy bp and eliminated the fluid build up I always had in my ankles.

Also for some weird reason when I started the Spiro the second night I started sleeping like a rock. No more sleeping pills.  Put my head on the pillow and 5 minutes later I'm asleep. Since the Spiro I've never had to watch my alarm clock tick into the next day. Strange.
  •  

KayXo

Spironolactone is known to reduce blood pressure (and water retention).
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Mariah

:police:
Ok folks lets please keep on topic. I just had to delete a string of posts that caused the thread to completely derailed. Thanks
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

iKate

Before I started HRT I was on Lotrel (amlodipine-benazepril) which is a combo ACEI and calcium channel blocker. It was OK but not that effective.

They took me off the benazepril and replaced it with Spiro as part of the HRT and a blood pressure medication. My blood pressure gradually improved so much that now they may take me off the amlodipine entirely. I did some lifestyle change and weight loss too.
  •