Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Seeing the Judge on Monday

Started by JustZac, July 03, 2015, 02:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustZac

On Monday, I appear in court to have my name ;legally changed. I'm so nervous, I feel like I'm vibrating out of my skin.
Came out to husband - June 2011
Came out to son - June 2014
Came out to daughter - January 2015
Came out to the world - Late June 2015
Legal name change - July 2015
July 16, 2016 - first T shot!
Top surgery consultations - May 4th & 5th 2016
Hoping for top surgery August 2016
  •  

londynlady

Congrats hunny.. I'm starting my process too

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

•  

Bimmer Guy

Quote from: JustZac on July 03, 2015, 02:13:15 AM
On Monday, I appear in court to have my name ;legally changed. I'm so nervous, I feel like I'm vibrating out of my skin.

Congrats!  Make sure you have everything you need before you go.  Some states require a letter from a therapist.  If your state required you to go to a clerk to schedule the court appearance, they probably would have told you then, but you may want to call them and check.

Good luck!
Top Surgery: 10/10/13 (Garramone)
Testosterone: 9/9/14
Hysto: 10/1/15
Stage 1 Meta: 3/2/16 (including UL, Vaginectomy, Scrotoplasty), (Crane, CA)
Stage 2 Meta: 11/11/16 Testicular implants, phallus and scrotum repositioning, v-nectomy revision.  Additional: Lipo on sides of chest. (Crane, TX)
Fistula Repair 12/21/17 (UPenn Hospital,unsuccessful)
Fistula Repair 6/7/18 (Nikolavsky, successful)
Revision: 1/11/19 Replacement of eroded testicle,  mons resection, cosmetic work on scrotum (Crane, TX)

•  

Alexthecat

I just went yesterday for mine. Judge just talked to me for a few minutes, didn't need anything with me.

•  

AndrewB

I'd put some of that anxiety aside, most judges won't care what you change your name to. It'll most likely go through great, without a hitch; when I went for the name change, the judge didn't take the bench for anyone there, and my mom also pointed out that people change their name to Batman, for all the judge cares. So long as you're not evading anything, such as debt, a criminal charge, etc, you'll be fine. Enjoy this big step, and don't fret!
Andrew | 21 | FTM | US | He/Him/His

•  

tgchar21

Quote from: Bimmer Guy on July 03, 2015, 07:03:53 AMSome states require a letter from a therapist.

You shouldn't need any letters just to get your name changed (now if you're also getting a court order to change your gender marker that of course is a different story).
  •  

Mariah

Congrats. you will be fine and before you know it you will leave with your name legally changed. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Bimmer Guy

Quote from: tgchar21 on July 03, 2015, 09:31:21 AM
You shouldn't need any letters just to get your name changed (now if you're also getting a court order to change your gender marker that of course is a different story).

You're absolutely right. However, judges also have the right to say no,and then  you have to deal with taking it to a higher court.  In my area the ACLU had toget involved (this is in the last year), to make that change. I went bold faced without a letter because I refused to bow to that, but some people just want the name change and don't want to risk it.  I respect that choice.
Stage 2 Meta: 11/11/16 Testicular implants, phallus and scrotum repositioning, v-nectomy revision.  Additional: Lipo on sides of chest. (Crane, TX)
Revision: 1/11/19 Replacement of eroded testicle,  mons resection, cosmetic work on scrotum (Crane, TX)

•  

lost._.at._.sea

Congratulations! Next comes all the government paperwork and trying to correct all your account information for accounts... EVERYWHERE. I don't think I've fixed them all yet  ::)

No need to be nervous!! The judge i saw was nice and not intimidating at all. He joked a lot too and seemed like he cared.
"Oh darling, we must have the skin of dragons lest we be ripped apart by ourselves."
  •  

JustZac

I DID IT!

I was so nervous, but when the judge asked me why I was seeking a name change, he gave me a reassuring smile. I wore a suit, and he was just SO nice.

And on Thursday I get on T!

It's happy dance time, guys!
  •  

Bimmer Guy

Quote from: JustZac on July 14, 2015, 01:21:40 AM
I DID IT!

I was so nervous, but when the judge asked me why I was seeking a name change, he gave me a reassuring smile. I wore a suit, and he was just SO nice.

And on Thursday I get on T!

It's happy dance time, guys!

Congrats, Zac!  That's exciting!

•  

Escher

Right on, Zac! Good luck, man. Congratuations!
"If you're going to walk on thin ice, you might as well run."
  •  

JustZac

Thanks, guys! I feel like I've got a good momentum going now. And to those just starting the process, I'm cheering you all on!!
  •