News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Infallible Conjectures

Started by Cindy, July 17, 2015, 06:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cindy

Science, Philosophy? Doesn't matter.

I'm bored so I thought I'd start a discussion over something we can argue about and not come to blows (I can hear Jill F say oh no count down time!).

There is an old conundrum first presented by Barkley that said:
If a tree falls down in a forest does it make a sound if no one is present to hear it?

It is an argument in quantum physics which is still fun.

Discuss!

Oh and a variation on schrodinger's cat conundrum.

What would you see (or not) if you put a siamese cat in a fridge? (no don't experiment please).

I somehow expect no responses. - If Cindy posts a quantum physics discussion it creates no response!
  •  

CollieLass

;) I see much Strangeness; but it`s not without a little Charm.......Perhaps, I`m feeling a weak attraction.  :D
  •  

Cindy

•  

Sydney Spitfire

The answer is simple, the tree never falls,It leans against another tree and never touches the ground.
  •  

AnonyMs

You've obviously chose your cat very carefully. It's a special case, and and the only one where I wouldn't see anything. I can't stand Siamese and and once I get it in there I'm not opening it again.
  •  

Tysilio

I'm an atheist, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying this classic comment on Berkeley's principle:

Quote from: Monsignor Ronald Knox
There was a young man who said "God
Must find it exceedingly odd
To think that the tree
Should continue to be
When there's no one about in the quad."

"Dear Sir: Your astonishment's odd;
I am always about in the quad.
And that's why the tree
Will continue to be
Since observed by, Yours faithfully, God."

And re: Schrödinger's cat, I saw this recently in the New Yorker:

Never bring an umbrella to a coyote fight.
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: AnonyMs
link=topic=192337.msg1717299#msg1717299 date=1437509586

You've obviously chose your cat very carefully. It's a special case, and and the only one where I wouldn't see anything. I can't stand Siamese and and once I get it in there I'm not opening it again.

Note to self- eat leftover Thai food in fridge before it rots.

So does the little light stay on when I close the fridge door?
  •  

Jill F

If a tree falls in a forest and it hits an accordion player, does anyone care?
  •  

Mado G

Mado G.

"This mountain is so formed that it is always wearisome when one begins the ascent, but becomes easier the higher one climbs." ― Dante Alighieri, Purgatorio
  •  

Jill F

I heard that because Schroedinger's cat is radioactive, it must have 18 half lives.
  •  

Mado G

Mado G.

"This mountain is so formed that it is always wearisome when one begins the ascent, but becomes easier the higher one climbs." ― Dante Alighieri, Purgatorio
  •  

Jill F

Dear Cat,

Schroedinger killed you. I was framed.

Love,
Curiosity
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: Jill F on July 21, 2015, 04:34:04 PM
Quote from: AnonyMs
link=topic=192337.msg1717299#msg1717299 date=1437509586

Note to self- eat leftover Thai food in fridge before it rots.

So does the little light stay on when I close the fridge door?

Ask the cat? But the answer may be yes and no.
  •  

Jill F

I think this thread deserves a Jill-ism of sorts...

Schroedinger's Joke- A joke which is both funny and not funny at the same time but there is no way of knowing if anyone else will laugh at it until you have told it... But by then it's too late and you will either look like an idiot or a comedy genius.
  •  

Serverlan

I'd love to interact with this thread, but if I do I fear the thread will decohere and ruin it for everyone.

Oh... oops.
  •  

Cindy

Since I had forgotten this thread did it exist or only when Serverlan saw it
  •  

Ms Grace

If a cat is in a box in a tree that falls in the forest does the cat know WTF is going on?
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

stephaniec

this is why people have such a hard time believing in God.( please believe me I'm not trying to start a war it's just my own personal conjecture unintended to be anything other than a benign statement in response to a benign conjecture.)
  •  

Kylo

Some time ago I explained the principle of the Double Slit Experiment to my True Love, who flew into a half-rage because it made no sense. Quantum physics was an affront to reality. It was hilarious.

The answer is a long cool beer and some neat beats. Chop wood, carry water.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Alycya

Surely it makes a sound even if no human being is there to hear it.

Humans always think to be too much relevant in the Universe.

... i think that there could be so many living beings near or under the falling tree, may be there are some flowers or some grass down there when the tree falls down.

Perhaps they don't hear a "sound" because they do not have ears, but may be they perceive that a tree is dying.

The tree itself is a living being... may be he (it?) is aware that is falling down.

This is not a quantum physics answer - :)

Aly
"Know masculinity, maintain femininity, and be a ravine for all under heaven" - Lao Tzu

•