Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Vegan recipes / ideas to share?

Started by Matthew, May 21, 2015, 02:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

Planning on eating vegan as a health kick next week and wanted to trade some recipes with y'all so I got some yummy food to be eating.

QuoteSweet potato chips / fries

SWEET POTATOES

3 large, organic sweet potatoes, sliced into thick wedges (skin on)
    2 Tbsp avocado or melted coconut oil (any neutral oil with a high smoke point)
    1/2 tsp sea salt + pinch black pepper

HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE

2 tbsp creamy salted cashew butter (or sub tahini, although I much preferred the cashew butter for a more neutral flavor)
    1 Tbsp spicy mustard
    2 Tbsp maple syrup (or sub agave or honey if not vegan)
    pinch each salt and pepper
    1-2 Tbsp unsweetened original almond milk

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a baking sheet.
    Toss sweet potatoes in oil until all sides are well coated. Season with salt and pepper and toss once more, then arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet (if crowded, use two baking sheets).
    Bake for a total of 25 minutes, or until golden brown and tender, flipping once at the halfway point to ensure even cooking.
    While baking, prepare dipping sauce by whisking together cashew butter, mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Thin with almond milk (or water) until pourable.

Avocado Quesadillas

Ingredients
    1/2 avocado, more if you prefer
    1 small roma tomato, diced
    1 green onion, sliced
    2 tsp. nutritional yeast
    Seasonings of choice (smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, etc.)
    Salsa (optional)
    1 large tortilla

Instructions

Smash avocado and spread out on one half of the tortilla. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and any seasonings.
    Add tomato, green onions, and salsa.
    Fold over the top half of the tortilla, and place on a skillet over medium heat.
    Heat for a few minutes on each side until warmed through.

Yum! Anyone else got some recipes? :)
-Matt
  •  

Devlyn

I'm seeing spots just thinking about not eating meat.  :laugh:  I may try your recipes though, just smothered in pork chops! >:-)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Laura_7

You could try selfmade pizza:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,90841.msg1650705.html#msg1650705

another easy to make recipe is stir fried pasta:
pasta cooked, then fried together with onions
afterwards add some spices and salt to taste

flatbread is also easy to make:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,187624.msg1668568.html#msg1668568
  •  

Abby Claire

I was going to post some stuff, then I realized eggs and cheese does not a vegan make. lol

I made some raw veggie spring rolls before though. Just some carrots, cabbage, basil, onions, and peppers tossed in some soy sauce and wrapped in rice paper. Easy and awesome. And of course you can just sub any veggies you like. So if you like mushrooms, sprouts, avocado, cucumber, or whatever you can just throw it in. Or those who like fish, some shrimp or tuna or salmon fits very nicely in these too. Usually if I'm going full on vegan, it's going to be raw like this kind of stuff.
  •  

Laura_7

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on May 21, 2015, 02:42:37 PM
I'm seeing spots just thinking about not eating meat.  :laugh:  I may try your recipes though, just smothered in pork chops! >:-)

Hugs, Devlyn

Most of it is psychological.
I once read an analysis that before an ice age people were predominantly vegetarians. Its well possible given a healthy diet.
As vegans some supplements might be advisable.

There are many very yummy vegetarian recipes: soups, pastas...

•  

Girl Beyond Doubt

Soak dried peas for 12 hours (use dried peas and soak them, do not use frozen or canned peas)

Boil a bag of rice

Fry chopped onions, sliced carrots and soaked peas in olive oil until slightly brown, stir frequently

Shell pistachios while waiting and stirring

Keep pouring boiling water onto the fried vegetables and cook for about 10 minutes until they do not absorb any more water

Shell more pistachios while waiting and stirring

Add herbs, very little salt and pepper

Mix vegetable stew, pistachios and rice

Enjoy
The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself - Mark Twain
  •  

Matthew

All of those look good, gonna have to try that Girl Beyond Doubt.
Still gathering ideas, had something delicious yet simple for lunch though:

Vegan Cheese wrap

Tortilla
Sliced Cheese (coconut)
Lettuce
Cucumber
Grapes
Edamame Beans (!!!)
Chives
Thousand island dressing (egg free)

•  

Laura_7

Quote from: Matthew on May 24, 2015, 11:57:07 AM
All of those look good, gonna have to try that Girl Beyond Doubt.
Still gathering ideas, had something delicious yet simple for lunch though:

Equally simple are pasta...
simply cooking them, and adding some of the ingredients from your recipe...
or cooking a sauce, with onions, oil and further ingredients to taste...

hugs
  •  

stephaniec

I have 2 favorites : veg chop suey and veg soup. the chop suey you stir fry or simmer in veg broth, celery .  carrots, bean sprouts, green beans, brochlii , water chestnuts. simmer until preference required , add corn starch to thicken . serve with rice and or Chinese  noodles and douse with soy source .( ginger is optional while simmering)

#2 - soup "  take beets, celery, carrots, broch---, rutabaga, green beans, rice(optional),  boil in water to cover add vegetable bullion to taste( or go through the hassle of making your own veg bullion ( I'm too lazy) Also you can add any combination of vegetables your little heart desires.
  •  

Girl Beyond Doubt

Two more ideas to go with pasta:

- Cook frozen chopped spinach with fried onion, coconut milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg (great with spaghetti)

- Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino (garlic, olive oil, hot peppers and parsley - delicious, but easily ruined if too much heat is applied for to long)

The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself - Mark Twain
  •  

Matthew

Tried the quesadilla recipe but had to adapt slightly because of what we had in the house

Salsa
- 1 tomato diced
- 1/2 tomato diced as small as possible
- 6 olives, sliced
- 2 jalepenos diced
- 1/2 a pepper sliced
- 1/3 teaspoon lazy garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 drop tabasco

Quesadilla
- 1 large tortilla
- 1 small avacado smashed
- Salsa spread on opposite side
- Sweetcorn sprinkled on top
- Fold Quesadilla in half
- Heat on a skillet for 1 minute on each side

•  

Matthew

Been busy experimenting. Gonna try this one next week:

• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 green onions, diced
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 3/4 cup diced fresh mushrooms
  • 1 15 ounce can pinto beans
  • 1 tsp parsley
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • oil for frying

Sautee the onions and garlic in olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, until onions are soft. Add the green onions, cumin and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked. Set aside.

Mash the beans with a fork or a potato masher, or process in a food processor until well mashed.

Add the mushrooms to the beans and add parsley, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.

Shape the mixture into patties.

Heat about two tablespoons of olive oil and cook each patty until the veggie burgers are done, about 3 minutes on each side.

Serve in a bread bun, sweet potato fries recommended
  •