Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Diane-35 discussion not permitted

Started by Susan, September 09, 2007, 01:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan

No sane or competent doctor would prescribe this acne medication/contraceptive as a medication for HRT in Male to Female Transsexuals. I have in the past banned discussion of the use of specific drugs, and I think it's time we do it again... A Google search only finds this drug mentioned in health warnings, self medication forums, and on online pharmacies.

Canada
One example of a drug that has been advertised in Canada is Diane-35 (cyproterone and estra-diol).
  • Diane-35 is associated with a greater risk of potentially fatal blood clots than other estrogen-progestin drugs and has also been associated with liver cancer.
  • it has not been approved in Canada for birth control.
  • it has only been approved for use in women with severe acne that has been unresponsive to other treatments.
  • it has been heavily advertised to teenaged girls for off-label use (the girls pictured in the Diane35 ads clearly do not have severe acne).
  • This is blatantly illegal advertising.

Excerpt from a Canadian scientific study...

QuoteDiane-35 is approved only as therapy for androgen-sensitive skin conditions, including hirsutism and severe acne unresponsive to oral antibiotic therapy.4 Treatment with Diane-35 should be discontinued 3–4 menstrual cycles after a woman's skin condition has resolved.4,5 Warnings to minimize a woman's exposure to the drug result in part from the association with venous thromboembolic disease...

What to do: Diane-35 should be reserved for temporary use in women with serious acne and should not be used solely as an oral contraceptive. All women who use combination oral contraceptives are at risk of venous thromboembolism and should be informed of this rare but potentially serious adverse effect, particularly if they are taking Diane-35.
New Zealand
QuoteFor example, when new serious risks were revealed through research into 3rd generation oral contraceptives, Diane-35, and HRT, the Ministry of Health, and other agencies such the New Zealand Guidelines Group and consumer organisations bore the cost of promulgating the new information to consumers.

So again discussing Diane-35 is not acceptable on this site. Take it elsewhere.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

taru

Please delete this post if it comes too close to the rules.

I think it is important to mention the dangerous meds - so people can avoid them.

e.g. locally (in Finland) this med (the same thing with a slightly different trade name) is used for birth control, and some mtfs have made the mistake of touching it. I don't think it is a killer drug - but it has much more risks than the better alternatives.
  •  

Susan

The ban is on advocating for or against a specific medicine or combination of medcines.

Providing the community warning of healthrisks to a drug would not be in violation of the ban on discussing this medication.
Susan Larson
Founder

•  

noeleena

hi....Susan      i have a friend in the u k who is on  estaadiol  &  andocur   & is saying still has hair & no changes or muscle loss   to me it seems  odd at the age of 44years of age   have you any idears on this .   the lenght of time  . i know is a part of it i am not sure how long she has been on them at this stage  . just getting to know her .    now for me at 60 i am pleased with what has happened for me  over 3 &1/2 years just what i expected with  hormones  .     s r s & b a  all done . i was & am on premarin  . & was on spiro  not now   these seem to work for some &  others  not.   there  have been quite a lot of changes for me   it has been neat   o  ya ....noeleena....
Hi. from New Zealand, Im a woman of difference & intersex who is living life to the full.   we have 3 grown up kids and 11 grand kid's 6 boy's & 5 girl's,
Jos and i are still friends and  is very happy with her new life with someone.
  •  

Berliegh

Quote from: noeleena on January 17, 2008, 12:51:22 AM
hi....Susan      i have a friend in the u k who is on  estaadiol  &  andocur   & is saying still has hair & no changes or muscle loss   to me it seems  odd at the age of 44years of age   have you any idears on this .   the lenght of time  . i know is a part of it i am not sure how long she has been on them at this stage  . just getting to know her .    now for me at 60 i am pleased with what has happened for me  over 3 &1/2 years just what i expected with  hormones  .     s r s & b a  all done . i was & am on premarin  . & was on spiro  not now   these seem to work for some &  others  not.   there  have been quite a lot of changes for me   it has been neat   o  ya ....noeleena....

I started on ethinyestrodial and andocur in 2002, I'm around the same age as your friend and I found that combination worked better for me than either premarin or progynova which I have also have tried in the past.

Different medications seems to work for different people and you need to find what's right for your system. I'm now on patches which work better on me than the pills did. Also age isn't an indicator of how well HRT might work and it doesn't work for everyone.
  •  

Laura Eva B

Susan.
Dianette comprises cyproterone acetate & ethinylestradiol ....
Its a regular contraceptive in the UK ....
Pre-op I was on cyproterone and estraiol hemihydrate (as I was wary of ethynil and its reported thromboembolic problems) .... but here in the UK its still a preferred combination for younger TS.
These pages allow naming of other meds .... why ban mentioning a drug that maybe 33% of UK trans-women are taking ?
Laura
  •  

Susan

The key words are "a regular contraceptive." It's not a HRT medication. I don't know of any doctor who would attempt to prescribe it for feminization. I would suggest that the interest in it is because it's most likely being used by some TS's for self medication due to it's easier availability. I stated my reasons on the first message in this topic. Neither those reasons, nor the ban on discussing it here at this site have changed.
Susan Larson
Founder

•  

Mariah

Ginette 35 is Diane 35 renamed and is a banned topic. See post or posts above for more information.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •