Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Yeson - coughing/clearing throat

Started by Dana88, July 14, 2015, 05:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anjaq

Quote from: Dana88 on July 16, 2015, 07:27:12 PM
Got it. Can I ask an off topic question? I've assumed after the four weeks of silence, when you start speaking again that your voice will be weak and a bit more difficult to use and navigate/will tire way more easily at first and that I'll need to be careful not to overexert. But I realized I don't actually know this, it's completely based on assumption on my part.
Thats about right. It's very weak and tires fast. I actually did not talk for another week after the 4 weeks and then limited myself. It slowly gets better but even now at 5 months, it's noticeable weak and I can't talk the whole day without getting a bit hoarse. Healing seems to take forever.

•  

Dana88

Quote from: anjaq on July 19, 2015, 04:22:53 PM
Thats about right. It's very weak and tires fast. I actually did not talk for another week after the 4 weeks and then limited myself. It slowly gets better but even now at 5 months, it's noticeable weak and I can't talk the whole day without getting a bit hoarse. Healing seems to take forever.

Oy. Didn't realize it would last THAT long. Is that experience with the weakness and hoarseness for that extended a period common?
~Dana
  •  

anjaq

I think I am not exactly the poster case - so it may be better for others... I can hold a 2 hour lecture, that worked out ok, I was just a bit weak at the end and had to rest my voice, that was about month 3-4. Afterwards the Botox stopped working and I have the impression that it got worse after that and now just slowly is improving

•  

Dana88

Quote from: anjaq on July 21, 2015, 07:03:20 AM
I think I am not exactly the poster case - so it may be better for others... I can hold a 2 hour lecture, that worked out ok, I was just a bit weak at the end and had to rest my voice, that was about month 3-4. Afterwards the Botox stopped working and I have the impression that it got worse after that and now just slowly is improving

Got it. May I ask why you're not exactly the poster case? Was it preop vocal issues or just the way you've healed isn't common?
~Dana
  •  

anjaq

It's just my impression. I know in some people it is like with me, but the poster cases I would consider those like I Jenny who had a great pitch increase in the first weeks. Some heal faster than others in respect to the hoarseness issue as well. I am a bit slow in the pitch gain, but I definitely did gain some. I guess I am average when it comes to the weakness and hoarseness issue. It just takes a long time. Dr Kim said one year, some noticed improvements after 2 years still.

And yes, I had some voice issues before, I first had to do a year of therapy before Dr Kim was confident it would be ok, but I guess the underlying issues are still there, originating in speaking in a changed voice for 17 years without professional help.
The other thing is, I had a massive massive cough attack after surgery. So that is less than optimal...

•  

Dana88

Quote from: anjaq on July 21, 2015, 02:17:19 PM
It's just my impression. I know in some people it is like with me, but the poster cases I would consider those like I Jenny who had a great pitch increase in the first weeks. Some heal faster than others in respect to the hoarseness issue as well. I am a bit slow in the pitch gain, but I definitely did gain some. I guess I am average when it comes to the weakness and hoarseness issue. It just takes a long time. Dr Kim said one year, some noticed improvements after 2 years still.

And yes, I had some voice issues before, I first had to do a year of therapy before Dr Kim was confident it would be ok, but I guess the underlying issues are still there, originating in speaking in a changed voice for 17 years without professional help.
The other thing is, I had a massive massive cough attack after surgery. So that is less than optimal...

Got it. When he did the first exam immediately postop (not the official postop exam, I'm saying when he examines the surgical site the day of the surgery before discharging you) did it seem like everything was still in place after the coughing fit?

And I guess the moral of the story is I should stop being neurotic and fixating on others' results trying to ascertain what mine will be like, because there's no way to know until I know. :-)
~Dana
  •  

anjaq

In both checkups the sutures looked fine.

This was at the 7 day examination: http://i.imgur.com/GT0XE0H.jpg and after 8 weeks: http://i.imgur.com/wSeWyIT.png and after 4 months: http://i.imgur.com/xdINLPp.png

Everyone seems to heal differently and its really hard to predict what will happen. Stats say most will get a good result, and on average 75 hz increase, meaning some get 50 and some get 100, i guess, but i doubt you can have vfs without getting any pitch increase, its physically impossible

•  

Dana88

Quote from: anjaq on July 22, 2015, 09:49:37 AM
In both checkups the sutures looked fine.

This was at the 7 day examination: http://i.imgur.com/GT0XE0H.jpg and after 8 weeks: http://i.imgur.com/wSeWyIT.png and after 4 months: http://i.imgur.com/xdINLPp.png

Everyone seems to heal differently and its really hard to predict what will happen. Stats say most will get a good result, and on average 75 hz increase, meaning some get 50 and some get 100, i guess, but i doubt you can have vfs without getting any pitch increase, its physically impossible

I was doing well with my neurosis until today haha. But I just sorta had a clearing my throat attack. I've managed to only cough twice this whole time and lightly at that. But I took a deep breath and a whole lot of mucus came up but not all the way up, so it felt like it was just sitting on my vocal cords or around them. So for about 10 minutes I was needing to carefully clear my throat because breathing it out wasn't working anymore and it was extremely uncomfortable. So now I'm paranoid again :-P. I know I didn't rupture anything cause there's no pain. But I'm just nervous I've compromised the healing process now. Drinking lotsa tea and water atm.
~Dana
  •  

anjaq

•  

Dana88

~Dana
  •  

iKate

Yes, my mom had bought some ginseng tea and Jessie asked if I was going to drink it... Jessie said no, no way should I drink it because it dries out your throat.

My mom really liked Omija cha which Yeson had in the waiting room. I should find some for her, maybe from an asian or Korean grocery here. :)
  •  

Dana88

Quote from: iKate on July 25, 2015, 01:59:25 PM
Yes, my mom had bought some ginseng tea and Jessie asked if I was going to drink it... Jessie said no, no way should I drink it because it dries out your throat.

My mom really liked Omija cha which Yeson had in the waiting room. I should find some for her, maybe from an asian or Korean grocery here. :)

I never tried any of the waiting room tea. I should've :-). Jessie had told me that as long as the tea didn't contain caffeine it was okay.
~Dana
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Dana88 on July 26, 2015, 12:38:44 AM
I never tried any of the waiting room tea. I should've :-). Jessie had told me that as long as the tea didn't contain caffeine it was okay.

Makes sense. The idea is that you do not want to be dehydrated. When I got back, I almost was because, well, Spiro. I immediately started to set myself water reminders through an app so I would drink the suggested 8 cups a day. That helped a lot. I keep a brita at my desk at work now and I am constantly hydrating.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: kwala on July 15, 2015, 08:11:27 AM
Question for those of you have undergone surgery, what do they say about hard swallowing?  When I feel phlegm and need to clear my throat I can usually avoid it by taking a gulp-like swallow
  Is there any mention of avoiding that in your aftercare instructions?

I basically swallow hard all the time. Hasn't affected me.

I snored like crazy on the day of the op. My mom asked them if that was a problem, Jessie said no because snoring is primarily through the nose, not mouth.

•  

kwala

Quote from: iKate on July 27, 2015, 10:24:49 AM
I basically swallow hard all the time. Hasn't affected me.

I snored like crazy on the day of the op. My mom asked them if that was a problem, Jessie said no because snoring is primarily through the nose, not mouth.
Very helpful, thanks!
  •