Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Why should sending a letter about a bill trigger dysphoria?

Started by Dee Marshall, July 26, 2015, 06:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee Marshall

I finally sent a letter to my congresswoman regarding the Equality Act. The Human Rights Campaign has been urging me to do so for several weeks. Why didn't I do it sooner? The HRC has a nice app. They provide you with a nice letter, allow you to customize it and fill-in-the-blank to get the other needed info. This one, that covers transgender rights requires an honorific (Dr., Mr., Ms., Miss). Why? What value does that add? I sent them a letter about it weeks ago after searching their site for a contact address. Legally I'm still "Mr." and I don't want to chance my letter being thrown away because it doesn't match a constituent. Yes, I know I could have written a letter on my own, without the app. That's not the point.

I know the HRC has a history of not being our best advocate, but this is atrocious! I'm really broken up about this, but I had to show support for this bill.

Regardless of that, I urge you all to, at least, write your congressperson. Civil rights can't be left to the states.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Ms Grace

Good on you for writing. I hope you added a sentence about honorific titles!!
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •