Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Am I Allowed To Enroll Under My Chosen Name?

Started by KyleEdric, September 20, 2015, 05:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyleEdric

I want to do Umass' 'University Without Walls' program for a bachelor's degree in writing. The program can be taken online, and financial aid covers it, so it's pretty promising. The only problem was, I remembered in order to enroll, you obviously have to put your name on the registration form... Your legal name.

Umass clearly states they are very open to different races, sexes, orientations and whatnot, and I asked the admins if I could put a different name on the form (I'm waiting to hear back), but I'm not sure if I can just write 'Kyle' where it says name. Especially with financial aid concerned; if the name on the FAFSA doesn't match the name on the class register, I'm worried it'll cause an issue. And I'm not sure I can enroll as 'Kyle' on FAFSA either...

What are your experiences with names on school records and what not? The only reason I'm concerned at all, is because my legal name will show up on the degree when I finish the program. I don't want that.

"I know your soul is not tainted, even though you've been told so."~Ghost 'Cirice'

•  

KyleEdric

and I forgot! Checking M or F made me anxious, too...
"I know your soul is not tainted, even though you've been told so."~Ghost 'Cirice'

•  

Lyndsey

Hi Kyle to my knowledge you have to change your name and gender in the court system witch is very easy to do. And it only took me three weeks and it was done. Then you can only put your new name and they have to except it. Good luck and best of wishes to you. [emoji136][emoji126][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lyndsey Marie Burke- Started my journey February 2011 Full time on May 5th 2014 HRT June 6th 2014 Name change and on all records and court documents June 20th 2014 SCS October 20th 2015 with Doctor Marci Bowers in Burlingame California I'm a very Happy women and finally living what I should have been living my whole life. Expect the unexpected. I feel Blessed. Love, Live, Be Happy. Be safe.
  •  

Lyndsey

Just thought I would mention this too. I had gone to the Salem probate court and when my docket was called the judge asked me to come up to here bench and was so sweet and private. She smiled at me and wished me a long and prosperous life. And did this so no one else in the courtroom could know anything. She made me feel very special and she gave me so much respect. So it is not all bad out there. Best of luck! [emoji173]️[emoji126]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lyndsey Marie Burke- Started my journey February 2011 Full time on May 5th 2014 HRT June 6th 2014 Name change and on all records and court documents June 20th 2014 SCS October 20th 2015 with Doctor Marci Bowers in Burlingame California I'm a very Happy women and finally living what I should have been living my whole life. Expect the unexpected. I feel Blessed. Love, Live, Be Happy. Be safe.
  •  

FTMax

You'll need to put your legal name on school records until you legally change it. For the most part, school stuff gets tied into your social security number, so whatever name you're using needs to match what is on there. If you call the Registrar's office after you apply, they may be able to put a preferred name or update your name internally so that professors don't use the wrong name with you.

As far as gender, that should also be whatever is currently on your driver's license or ID card. If you're planning to live on campus, call the Housing office and see if they have a policy for transgender students or if they offer gender neutral housing assignments.

It's very easy to update once you've legally changed it. I went in to both schools I went to several years after the fact and they had everything updated for me in less than ten minutes. Even printed me out fresh transcripts for free to celebrate.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

KyleEdric

Well since I cannot change my name legally yet, and I don't know how long it'll be before I can do that... If I earn my degree BEFORE I am able to legally change documents, am I able to request my chosen name to be put on my degree, do you think?

•  

FTMax

Quote from: KyleEdric on September 21, 2015, 06:04:52 PM
Well since I cannot change my name legally yet, and I don't know how long it'll be before I can do that... If I earn my degree BEFORE I am able to legally change documents, am I able to request my chosen name to be put on my degree, do you think?

Nope. They will not update it until you legally change it. It's a fraud liability to do otherwise.

Is there a reason why you can't legally change it? If you're looking into college stuff you're probably around 18. That is legally when you could change it without parental approval.

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

KatelynBG

I am a UMASS grad. From the main campus in Amherst. They have a great LGBTQ center on campus, the oldest in the US if I remember right. I was always way too terrified to walk in there though. Half my hometown went to UMASS so someone would have seen me there. I've heard good things about UWW. Sorry can't help with the name info but good luck.

I have a degree from UMASS with the name Kyle on it, want to borrow it?
]
  •  

KyleEdric

Quote from: ftmax on September 21, 2015, 06:57:25 PM
Nope. They will not update it until you legally change it. It's a fraud liability to do otherwise.

Is there a reason why you can't legally change it? If you're looking into college stuff you're probably around 18. That is legally when you could change it without parental approval.

Well, I'm 26 so yeah plenty old enough to do what I will with my legal name. Problem is, I'm living at home with my mom in charge of most of my things like insurance, medical info, etc. (I have asperger's so she's quite protective, you could say) now because of the asperger's, mom is hoping to rule out THAT as the cause of my recent gender issues; thats it's not some obsession. She is supportive, she just doesn't want me to make any decisions I may one day regret. She means well. Honest.

I know I WONT be regretting anything, but she's insisting on being double-y sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

•  

FTMax

Quote from: KyleEdric on September 21, 2015, 08:31:04 PM
Well, I'm 26 so yeah plenty old enough to do what I will with my legal name. Problem is, I'm living at home with my mom in charge of most of my things like insurance, medical info, etc. (I have asperger's so she's quite protective, you could say) now because of the asperger's, mom is hoping to rule out THAT as the cause of my recent gender issues; thats it's not some obsession. She is supportive, she just doesn't want me to make any decisions I may one day regret. She means well. Honest.

I know I WONT be regretting anything, but she's insisting on being double-y sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the benefit of the name change as opposed to anything else gender-related, is that you can change your name as many times as you want as long as you're willing to pay to have it changed and meet whatever the court requirements are and do the running around to have it updated everywhere.

So even if you were one day to change your mind, you could easily change it back or change it to something different.

•