Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Wigs

Started by Janine, October 04, 2015, 01:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janine

I've got this short red hair, and I'm too impatient to let it grow out. If I got a wig, what issue would I have to watch out for?
Am I male? Am I female? I'm just me.
  •  

Lyric

Probably the best advice I could give you is to work on developing some patience. The oft denied reality of wig wearing is that it's not easy to wear a wig that doesn't look like one. In order for a wig to really passably look like it's your real hair several factors have to be worked out. The wig's shape/color and so forth need to be well suited to your own features, for one thing. If it doesn't show bangs (and bangs are not particularly fashionable right now) you'll need a lace front wig that must be adhered to the scalp each time you put it on. Some people will insist they are fine with cheaper synthetic wigs, but I think real human hair is the only way to go for "passability". They type of cap the wig has is important. There are several types, all with advantages and disadvantages.

If your natural hair is abundant enough that you don't have to wear a wig for the long term, I would really suggest not bothering with a wig right now. If you just want to do it for fun, sure, but consider that it will make you feel a bit more artificial when you probably most want to feel as real as possible with your transition (if that's your goal). Hair grows faster than you think if you put your mind on something else for awhile. An many women wear short hair, too. Concentrate more on fashion and makeup for awhile. Before you know it the hair will catch up.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

yokosoko

Extensions might work to get the look you want! I had a friend recently use a bangs extension, and I didnt know it wasnt real till she told me!
  •  

Punzie

You could perhaps look into a 3/4 or half wig. That way you could try to blend your natural red hair with the wig extension thus giving a natural looking and longer hair. The only issue with these is that the color shade and texture doesn't always match your hair, but with some hairspray and magic (tutorials) it can look really nice. That way you can still have long hair and a majority of your actual hair show, while also growing the real hair in the process.

There are also methods to boost hair growth, such as biotin and viviscal, but in the long run it will still take time and patience to achieve long locks. The vitamins help boost the strength of your hair so it grows faster and even becomes a lot stronger, making a wig fail in comparison for those potential hair pulling mishaps.

(When you have long hair sometimes people, mainly other girls, will want to touch it and potentially ask tips about what products you use etc. There are also potential dangers of the wig moving out of place or falling off with accidental tugs.)

Hope this helped a bit! :) I'm still experimenting with my hair too, but in the long run I know growing it out suits me. So just try to think about your hair goals and what suits you when it comes into considering either extensions, wigs, or natural growth boosters.
My Journey
9/1/2015 Fully accepted myself as Transgender
9/24/2015 First Therapy Session with Therapist
9/25/2015 Joined Susan's Place
2/?/2016 ~ Hopefully starting HRT!
  •