News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

I think that it's never too late to start

Started by true, September 20, 2007, 03:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

true

Hi all,

Just really excited about a lot of things happenning since I've been on HRT. I'm 29 and have been on low dose E for about 3 months (my doctor and I are taking it slowly, first the low dose, now at 3/4, in November I get to go full-dose). I was pretty nervous about starting in my late 20's after reading some pages that state it's pretty much hopeless after 21 (not directly but it makes you feel that way after reading it). Anyway, I went ahead with beginning my transition and I am definitely seeing some positive results.

After 3 months (this is on beginning dosage of E, full-strength A-Blockers, though), I have developed into an easy A cup. I have not seen the veins protruding from the back of my hands for a while now. I feel my skin getting softer and a couple of coworkers have noticed facial changes. My chest hair (what little there was) is over halfway gone and it shouldn't be long now before it goes away completely I suspect. I definitely notice emotional and mental changes as well (maybe I just feel freer to be myself?).

Many people have also noticed an overall positive effect on my mood since I've started. I mean those that do not know about me, those that do have a pretty good idea why. I was in such a huge depression before starting all this, emo kids were telling me to lighten up. It has made such a huge difference in my life since I've started. I don't know if I'm being overly dramatic in saying that this probably saved my life.

Anyway, I am pleased with what has befallen me so far and if this is any indication of how things will continue, I am psyched. I have noticed some vocal changes but I have also read that constant practice  can damage vocal cords. I can't get anywhere near as deep as I used to.

I am glad I went through with my beginning down the path to true self-realization and, though I realize my results still may not be as good as an 18 year old starter, I think things will be O-Tay! I am getting to a point where I want to go full-time NOW but I couldn't pass if someone held a gun to my head. Apparently, the being really harsh on myself hasn't seemed to abate, but otherwise.

At any rate, I just wanted to share this and am rather curious what will happen now that the meds are being increased. I don't think I've ever had a time in my life where I look forward to what is coming up nor have I felt that life can be a positive experience. I can actually improve myself in the other ways I just never had the energy for as well. Sorry to keep on babbling like this but I just wanted to share with the group. Thx for listening.

Dana
  •  

funnygrl

"...hopeless after 21...", God I hope not...starting now in late 30's :'(
  •  

true

Let me say that I believed and still believe those who say that are full of crap (the post 21 or 25 or whatever you may read). I think it's detrimental to say those things to those post 25 or 30. I just meant that it sucks that people would post such a thing that can very much be a deterrent to those who would very much benefit from beginning their real lives. Not trying to upset anyone here. If I do, let me apologize in advance.
  •  

VickieDavis

I started in my late 50's. No problems.

I don't have the breast growth I might have gotten at if I had started at 17, but I can afford implants now.   ;D

I have a friend that got 40DDD. She started 25 years ago at 17.  I started 4 years ago and have 38AA. Something is just not fair. LOL

Hugs,

Vickie

Chair Woman of Tennessee Vals (a Nashville based TG support group) http://tvals.org
Treasure of Tennessee Transgender Political Coalition http://ttgpac.com/
  •  

funnygrl

No apology needed here. I'm at a very scarey, weird, difficult time as we all are I guess being newbies / starting out;etc. But I have found out so much information here and on "myspace" forums that keeps me in a positive mind set. I guess I was trying to be a little funny when I replied to your post, then again :-\

Anyways, good hearing form you. Hope to see more of your posts in the future!!!

And Vickie, Thanks!!!
  •  

true

Sorry for apologizing (if that isn't overdoing it, I don't know what is), just being new, I don't want to take chances at angering people here. I'm sure it will happen as I can ramble and say too much (case in point here). Anyway, I gathered it was in a jestful tone but I thought, "just in case," ya know?
  •  

funnygrl

•  

true

Thanks for that, I'll lighten up after a little bit (I hope).  ;D
  •  

Kate

Quote from: true on September 20, 2007, 03:38:26 AM
after reading some pages that state it's pretty much hopeless after 21...

After reading the real-life experiences of so many people, I've decided the age thing is all just an urban myth. It's one of those "Everyone Says..." things, like "Everyone says laser isn't permanent."

Yea, well, there's rumour and there's experience, lol. I trust experience more ;)

I started HRT at 42. I'm doing pretty good after one year.

QuoteI don't know if I'm being overly dramatic in saying that this probably saved my life.

Not at all. I'd be dead if I hadn't started HRT when I did.

QuoteI am getting to a point where I want to go full-time NOW but I couldn't pass if someone held a gun to my head.

Oh, I know THAT feeling! I was going crazy to go fulltime within a few months of HRT, but... I held off until I realized I WAS fulltime (8ish months), whether I meant to be or not, lol.

Passing is a hugely contoversial and testy subject around here. You might be surprised though... passing doesn't mean being a supermodel. It seems to take relatively few cues to push someone over the threshold in the eyes of others. WE ourselves rarely see how passable we really are. We just see the old image of HIM so much of the time. But strangers see you fresh, objectively. And HRT does things to the face that men just don't have... it doesn't have to be dramatic to flip that switch to "female" in people's eyes.

At least that's how I explain myself, as there's really no way I should pass. If I ever go to a Susan's get-together, you'll all wonder how I can be deluding myself so much, lol. But... I do OK.

But if I had NEVER been in public, so I had no experience with people seeing me, and you asked me right now to go shopping amoungst the humans... I'd say "I couldn't pass if someone held a gun to my head!" ;)

~Kate~
  •  

shanetastic

congrats on starting transition!!! :D

I hope everything turns out well for you.  And don't worry I think were all skeptical of what we expect during this time, because heck even at my age I don't think I'll ever pass.  So don't worry about it, I don't think age has much to do with anything either way.  Whatever makes you happy is what I say.

Again, welcome and congrats on your transformation thus far.
trying to live life one day at a time
  •  

gothique11

congrats! And 29 isn't old! I'll be 29 in 2.3 months!!! I started HRT when I was 27.

I know people who have started older than me who look amazing. i also know people who have started when they were younger, and that doesn't always turn out. I know someone who is much younger than me, she's 20, and has been on hormones since almost a year ago with almost no breast development. I know that the age thing can count some, but I wouldn't put all of my stock into it because it's not always the case!

I had to laugh at your emo comment -- yeah, if an emo is telling you to lighten up, you know it's bad. LOL

•  

seldom

After three months I had many of the same changes.  I am one who is complete advocate that the success of HRT has more to do with genetics than age (I would say its about 2/3 genetics, 1/3 age).  I am a full A by three months, I know those who are transitioning at 18 where that was not the case, and never was the case.  I am also on a low dose.  The message is, this has more to do with LUCK than AGE.  Somebody starting at 28/29 may very well have better luck than somebody who starts at 19.  Why?  That 29 year old may be more receptive to estrogen.  There is no such thing as too late with regards to transition. 

Age has a role, but  I think the role is much more limited than some suggest.
  •  

Karla B

Quote from: Amy T. on September 20, 2007, 12:01:32 PM
After three months I had many of the same changes.  I am one who is complete advocate that the success of HRT has more to do with genetics than age (I would say its about 2/3 genetics, 1/3 age).  I am a full A by three months, I know those who are transitioning at 18 where that was not the case, and never was the case.  I am also on a low dose.  The message is, this has more to do with LUCK than AGE.  Somebody starting at 28/29 may very well have better luck than somebody who starts at 19.  Why?  That 29 year old may be more receptive to estrogen.  There is no such thing as too late with regards to transition. 

Yes, I agree with Amy T. I think that being older might slow down the effects of HRT but I don't believe that it wouldn't work at all. There might some cases that does happen but I think it's rare.
Besides that as we get older,our testosterone levels drop naturally. ;) Not that,that really matters. :( It's our natural growth hormone that matters.
Oh yeah, testosterone levels are usually higher in people that are in their late teens and early 20s. Then as you age they slowly start to decline.
  •  

seldom

Quote from: Karla B on September 20, 2007, 01:36:12 PM
Quote from: Amy T. on September 20, 2007, 12:01:32 PM

Yes, I agree with Amy T. I think that being older might slow down the effects of HRT but I don't believe that it wouldn't work at all. There might some cases that does happen but I think it's rare.
Besides that as we get older,our testosterone levels drop naturally. ;) Not that,that really matters. :( It's our natural growth hormone that matters.
Oh yeah, testosterone levels are usually higher in people that are in their late teens and early 20s. Then as you age they slowly start to decline.

Actually Testosterone peaks in the late twenties/early thirties, and THEN it declines.

I had low testosterone to begin with though, which probably contributes.  Again 29 now, started technically when I was 28, even though its been a little over 3 months.
I do think there is an age where E is much less effective, but I think it is some point in the forties...not some point in ones twenties. 
  •  

Kate

Quote from: Amy T. on September 20, 2007, 02:53:14 PM
I had low testosterone to begin with though, which probably contributes... 

Mine was 800 at age 42 :(

And yet, it didn't seem to make me very masculine. Just rather tall... and eventually started to bald me. But very sparse body hair, etc.

You just never know how someone will react to hormones, whether T or E. High levels, low levels, young, old... everyone's body seems to react (or not) differently, and it doesn't always follow the patterns you'd expect...

~Kate~
  •  

Berliegh

Quote from: funnygrl on September 20, 2007, 03:48:41 AM
"...hopeless after 21...", God I hope not...starting now in late 30's :'(

The sooner the better I think.......I started in my late 30's which was really a bit late........although I was taking hormones at 26....these days the condition is handled much better and so many do start much earlier........the earlier you start the less 'time exposure' you have to testoterone.......but as Kate says people do vary no matter what age...
  •  

ValerieMTL

If it's hopeless after 21, please make sure not to notify my body. I'm 38 and I started HRT last December and so far so good. Of course I wish that I had started earlier, but there was no way that I would have been ready to come out when I was in my 20's. So much has changed with regards to the perception of the GLBT community in the past 10 years. It's amazing. When my friends ask me if I wish that I came out in my 20's, I always tell them "no". The truth is that I wish that I was 20 now! WOW! Now wouldn't that be cool? ;)
  •  

Karla B

Actually Testosterone peaks in the late twenties/early thirties, and THEN it declines.

I had low testosterone to begin with though, which probably contributes.  Again 29 now, started technically when I was 28, even though its been a little over 3 months.
I do think there is an age where E is much less effective, but I think it is some point in the forties...not some point in ones twenties. 
[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that Amy. I was given that info from a fitness instructor.He claimed, when you body build, you get the best results in your late teens and early to mid 20s and you need high testosterone to get really big. Ha, Ha, But I don't think he knows much about M2Fs transitioning. :laugh:
  •  

seldom

Actually this is real reason most male athletes peak in their late twenties/early thirties, and then begin a slow decline, its directly related to testosterone.  Its why somebody who is a veteran professional is usually larger then a college star.

Trainers do not know much about this, and do not see the testosterone age range charts that I saw.  While 500-1000 is considered normal male range the truth is for somebody who is 28 for example, the normal range is around 900-1100 (this is serum testosterone).  300 is normal for a male in their sixties, but very low for a male in their late twenties.  There is also free testosterone as well, I can tell you right now, I had serum testosterone on the low end, but my free testosterone for my age...well lets put it this way, it was really low.  I could go on, but the truth is it is a complex situation.  The free testosterone though is the important number, as this is what is used by the male body actively.  So the effectiveness of HRT is tied to free testosterone, for both MtF and FtM.   Honestly I wish more doctors monitored it with MtF, as it could be more of an indicator of what needs to be done than just bringing down total T levels.  The free testosterone can be very persistent even at very low T levels. 
  •  

Ms.Behavin

Being 51 and 10 months on HRT, I would say that the age thing is more myth then fact.  But everyone is different, which is a bigger part. 

Beni
  •