Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

went for YESON VFS

Started by divineintervention, December 28, 2015, 09:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

divineintervention

Hi guys,

So I am back in my home country - day 7 after the surgery.

I've messed up quite a bit: coughed here and there, and even made a hissing sibilance sound for 7 seconds in the mirror the other day thinking that I was just breathing out (lol).

I've not had the bloody rupture or sore throat that Jessie mentions: however, I do have a lot of phlegm now still, and was wondering if that was normal? I find myself spitting a lot (without making any sounds of course) I also have this foreign bodily sensation in my throat - is this normal?

Background: my trained voice was at 220+hz average, and untrained was 190+hz average.

I got the surgery like everyone else to not have to be conscious about my voice.

I do however feel like the medication makes my throat worst off - and gives me headaches.

Has anyone ever successfully got an answer to whether coughing, whispering, and little small actions lead up to a loosening of the sutures even if they do not rupture? Or do they just slow down the process of recovery?

As in, does those actions stifle the final desired outcome?

Thanks! I really appreciate all the info out here!
  •  

gentlebreeze

Quote from: divineintervention on December 28, 2015, 09:45:32 AM
Hi guys,

So I am back in my home country - day 7 after the surgery.

I've messed up quite a bit: coughed here and there, and even made a hissing sibilance sound for 7 seconds in the mirror the other day thinking that I was just breathing out (lol).

I've not had the bloody rupture or sore throat that Jessie mentions: however, I do have a lot of phlegm now still, and was wondering if that was normal? I find myself spitting a lot (without making any sounds of course) I also have this foreign bodily sensation in my throat - is this normal?

Background: my trained voice was at 220+hz average, and untrained was 190+hz average.

I got the surgery like everyone else to not have to be conscious about my voice.

I do however feel like the medication makes me throat worst off - and gives me headaches.

Has anyone ever successfully got an answer to whether coughing, whispering, and little small actions lead up to a loosening of the sutures even if they do not rupture? Or do they just slow down the process of recovery?

What you describe is normal. Phlegm will be there for quite a while and the lump in your throat sensation is because of the surgery. Worst  thing you can do is whisper. The occasional cough or few words won't be an issue. If you are past the first 7 days then the major healing is already past its critical point. Just relax and sit back and follow the instructions that they gave you and you'll be fine.
  •  

Andromeda

Yep, "control what you can, don't stress what you can't." Sneezing and coughing are involuntary and it's extremely unlikely that one here or there is going to mess up the suture. But of course, try to avoid them if possible. If you need to sneeze, I find that immediately looking into a bright light (lightbulb) can actually suppress that reflex. It works sometimes : ) I also found that green tea with lemon and honey has helped to soothe my throat. I've been drinking that stuff like it comes from a bottomless mug. Phlegm, while unfortunate, is something you might have to deal with. I've found a way to clear my throat without actually making any noise, but I'm not entirely positive the doctor would say it's all kosher. I recommend getting a humidifier to put in your room while you sleep so that things don't dry out. You can also take ibuprofen to manage the swelling/inflammation. If possible, I'd go to your doctor and ask for a prescription for a hydrocodone based cough syrup. I've been taking it every night before bed because it suppresses your cough reflex.

Whispering is a big no!!! It's actually worse for you than normally speaking. Try to enjoy your silence for the next 3 weeks!
  •  

divineintervention

Thank you for the comments!

Is it normal to be experiencing this scratchy sandpaper throat at 2nd wk of recovery?
  •  

iKate

Quote from: divineintervention on December 28, 2015, 09:45:32 AM

Dr Kim said that by 7 days external healing is done. Internal healing of the sutured area matters and that coughing or sneezing can affect that.

Here is how I view it - you spent almost 10k to have this surgery and go to Korea. Wouldn't you want to do your best not to mess it up?

Not coughing is difficult but doable. I only coughed a few times during that 1 month and it was more toward the end. I did not sneeze. I did "hhhhhhhhhhaaa" to blow out the phlegm gently. Water helps loosen phlegm and keep you hydrated too. Jessie should have explained this and it's in the instructions.

I have an excellent result now and I don't know for sure whether following all post op instructions closely helped but it sure didn't hurt.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: divineintervention on December 30, 2015, 03:00:22 AM
Thank you for the comments!

Is it normal to be experiencing this scratchy sandpaper throat at 2nd wk of recovery?

Normal
  •