Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

My work to change the FAA

Started by jessical, November 21, 2015, 01:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessical

The local news in the San Francisco Bay area featured a story of my work with the Transgender Law Center to change how the FAA deals with transgender pilots. 

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/11/20/transgender-pilots-medical-exams-faa/
  •  

diane 2606

Wow, this one was in my wheelhouse, in 1994.

On a morning in December 1993, my legal name change was approved at my county courthouse. After stopping at the local Bureau of Motor Vehicles (Ohio) to get an updated driver's license with "F" in the appropriate spot, I proceeded to the FAA's local Flight Standards District Office. I presented a copy of the court order, and was issued a new pilot certificate, again with the new name and "F" in the appropriate spot.

On cloud nine, I went home, changed into my boy-drag uniform and went to work (I think my report time that day was 1:30 pm). When I got to the airport I did a quick stop at the ID office, where I was issued an airport identification badge with my new name. After I checked in I went by the Chief Pilot's office, made copies of my new license, and asked if they wanted me to sign legal documentation, like dispatch releases and such, using my old name or new. After hemming and hawing for a few, the assembled braintrust decided new.

I flew all my trips for two months in boy-drag, signing paperwork as Captain Diane, while the airline tried to figure out what to do about me. During that time I visited my local aeromedical examiner, who issued me a new Medical Certificate that said Diane AND Female. No questions asked! On February 2, 1994 I flew my first trip as a female captain with long, red finger nails. RLE had begun, and none of my first officers objected to being trapped in the pointy end of high-speed aluminum tubing for extended periods of time with me.

I was not the first airline pilot to transition, and I certainly wasn't the last. Back in 1994 one of the really big legacy carriers had several transsexual pilots, but I was the first at my airline. It took the company about nine months, plus a year of haggling, to put me into a position where resignation was my only logical alternative, but it was great time while it lasted.

That's a long story to say apparently the FAA's attitude has deteriorated over the last 20 years. They started out so good on the issue. I'm sorry that Jessica has to go through bureaucratic BS.
"Old age ain't no place for sissies." — Bette Davis
Social expectations are not the boss of me.
  •  

confusedlauren

Hi Jessica,

The issues you've had with the medical, was it for a Class 2 or a Class 3?

Is the FAA more lenient with the Class 3 medical?

Thanks!
  •  

jessical

I have a second class (special issuance) medical.  They are treating all three classes the same.   Everyone is getting a special issuance regardless of the class of medical, and they are requiring yearly psychological evaluations.  It's not just me but it is everyone we could find post Tamsyn Waterhouse in 2012.

When reporting for the first time the currently policy does require a detailed letter for the medical side of treatment, and you need to do a psychological evaluation.  Which I am not super keen on, but if everything is in order they should be issuing normal medicals.  The problem is they are branding each one as a special issuance with no public policy stating that should happen.  I called them on the phone to get more clarification, and the FAA flat out told me that all transgender people are unstable, and that is why we get special issuance's.  Which is not inline with WPATH and the APA.
  •  

confusedlauren

Quote from: jessical on December 03, 2015, 01:35:20 AM
I called them on the phone to get more clarification, and the FAA flat out told me that all transgender people are unstable, and that is why we get special issuance's.  Which is not inline with WPATH and the APA.

Wow... That's crazy talk... I imagine that's what gays/lesbians have been hearing for a while before things got better... Boils down to education. I'm glad things are changing.

Any progress on the legal work you're doing? I read a post about something happening in December...
  •  

jessical

There is another group of people that are working to re-write the policy.  If it gets passed, it sounds like many or all of these issues will go away.  We should know in the next week or so.  From my side we are waiting to see the results of that first.
  •  

confusedlauren

Quote from: jessical on December 03, 2015, 01:55:18 AM
There is another group of people that are working to re-write the policy.  If it gets passed, it sounds like many or all of these issues will go away.  We should know in the next week or so.  From my side we are waiting to see the results of that first.

That's great news!

There's many things that are keeping me in hiding... one of them is the idea of being grounded for months!
  •  

BeverlyAnn

Quote from: jessical on December 03, 2015, 01:35:20 AM
...the FAA flat out told me that all transgender people are unstable, and that is why we get special issuance's.  Which is not inline with WPATH and the APA.

We are?  Wow, I wonder what the FAA would have done if they knew I was working operations doing weight and balance on everything from DC8s and Convair 880s to 767s for twenty or so years. 
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

purplewuggybird

This is absolutly amazing work. I've always wanted to be a commercial pilot, and will start getting my student certificate soon, and this has been one of my huge HUGE worries. Thank you for supporting all of us transgender aviators! (or aviators to be)
Just trying to share the love <3!
  •  

diane 2606

Quote from: purplewuggybird on December 22, 2015, 09:32:59 PM
This is absolutly amazing work. I've always wanted to be a commercial pilot, and will start getting my student certificate soon, and this has been one of my huge HUGE worries. Thank you for supporting all of us transgender aviators! (or aviators to be)

I had three dreams as a child.

• Be a woman
  • Fly jets
  • Play 3rd base for the New York Yankees

Two out of three ain't bad.
"Old age ain't no place for sissies." — Bette Davis
Social expectations are not the boss of me.
  •  

jessical

I just need to break the sound barrier and my list will be complete :) 

Thanks everyone, for the very kind words of support!

Quote from: diane 2606 on December 22, 2015, 10:38:37 PM
I had three dreams as a child.

• Be a woman
  • Fly jets
  • Play 3rd base for the New York Yankees

Two out of three ain't bad.
  •