Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

The Frustration of Electrolysis With Grey Facial Hair

Started by NikkiJ, November 21, 2015, 01:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMoni

I can't imagine counting the hours, I'd get depressed. I use the numbing cream which does work. I have found that when the pain starts getting really bad, I rub my feet together. It gives me something physical to do and it takes my mind off of the pain. It sounds silly, but it works.   Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Cindi Lane

The key to effective Electrolysis is the Electrologist and their knowledge of beard hair removal and their skill in effectively treating the follicle. I have spent many hours "in the chair" and a lot of money on electrolysis to remove a very heavy beard. I have been treated with all three modalities (Galvanic, Thermolysis and Blend).
My experience (in time order):
  Thermolysis  -  Bad operator, damaged the skin on my Neck! (Portland, OR)
  Galvanic -  Very slow but effective, lots of swelling. (Silicon Valley, California)
  Thermolysis / Flash Thermolysis    -  Not very effective, Highest hairs treated per hour, but most of the treated hair came back. (Portland, OR)
  Blend -  Most effective and much faster than Galvanic, very few (if any) hairs come back after treatment (Beaverton, OR). 

The most cost effective for me continues to be Blend with an Electrologist that really understands how to achieve the most effective treatment while moderating the pain.

I started out with a very heavy beard (I had to use serious beard cover makeup when I started). I now have a reasonably sparse beard that is about 70% grey and 30% black and can use Mineral powder makeup.

Don't be afraid to try another Electrologist, The best ones will spend time to find the best settings for you that is fully treating the hair with the least pain, they will adjust the settings and the change the probe size as they work on different hair sizes and areas. If they are not, they don't understand the process well enough (or are lazy). 

Under-treatment is at best a dis-service, at worst it is a rip-off.

A great Electrologist is worth traveling to. I currently go to Transformations Electrolysis.

-Cindi
  •  

Cris Zoe

>> Don't be afraid to try another Electrologist, The best ones will spend time to find the best settings for you that is fully treating the hair with the least pain, they will adjust the settings and the change the probe size as they work on different hair sizes and areas. If they are not, they don't understand the process well enough (or are lazy).  <<

Yes, this is the key, finding an good Electrologist. I'm closing in on my 3rd year with mine. For the 1st two years I was doing it pretty much every week for 1 to 2 hours each time. My upper lip took forever. It's mostly clear but I have a few stragglers show up every now and then. We're currently working on my under chin and neck. I'm only going every 2 weeks. She keeps telling me I'm almost done, but I figure I'll be in the chair for the rest of the year. She's doing Blend for me and is always fiddling with the needle size, voltage, etc. I started out with EMLA cream but she applies some topical anesthetic - amusingly sold for men to delay reaching orgasms  :) - and so I stopped with my application.  It doesn't hurt that much and I often fall asleep going into the 2nd hour. I'm 90% gray and white. I had laser for my black hairs a few years ago - wish I started 20 years ago!
- Cris Zoé
  •  

AutumnLeaves

Quote from: Ms Grace on November 23, 2015, 04:59:30 AM
Are you doing Galvanic or Thermolysis? I've got a light beard with a lot of grey and white and have done 115 hours of galvanic over two years and now have hardly anything left. I'm hoping it'll be gone within another 10-15 hours.

My electro continues to say galvanic is much more effective and permanent than thermolysis, I kind of figured it was just self promotion but there does seem to be some truth to it. People having thermolysis can often be at it for hundreds of hours with little to show for it, with a need for second and even third sweeps of treated areas. At least with galvanic, when the follicle's dead it tends to stay that way, no second sweeps.
[/quote

Just as a counterbalance, I had nothing but thermolysis on my face and had great results with very little regrowth. I figure I had about 100 hours total over a couple of years. When it comes down to it, it's the skills of the operator more than the modality used that really matter. I do think with thermolysis they need to be extra careful about their insertions since you don't have the "spreading out" effect you get from the lye produced in galvanic. I'm continuing with thermolysis on my body hair, with blend only on a small section of really crazy follicles.
  •  

KayXo

I've also had success with thermolysis, spending about 150 hours for face with no scars and skin very smooth. Years later, hardly any growth to speak of. My electrologist was experienced, quite skilled and using a microscope which helped her immensely. Was called microtrolysis.
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

kat69

I was a little confused with the OP.  Electrolysis shouldn't matter what color the hair is....it's electricity into the follicle. 

Am I mistaken?
Therapy - December 2015
Out to Family - 15 September 2016
Start of Transition - 28 October 2016
Full Time - 2 November 2016
HRT - 23 November 2016
GCS - 30 April 2018 (Dr Brassard)

•  

NikkiJ

Hi all! I'm the OP. Well, it's 2018, I did quit electrolysis. It had gotten to the point where I could recall the pain even days after a session. It just doesn't matter, as no one sees it after I shave in the shower, and wear very little makeup anyway. I've removed myself from any trans socializing (No more fair weather friends for me) and only have a couple of trans friends these days.
Better watch out for the skin deep - The Stranglers
  •  

Virginia

Thank you for updating your thread. That women don't shave their faces is a horrible misconception of our society. My electrologist shared she has removed many women's beards that were heavier than mine and the handful of men she has worked on.

Quote from: NikkiJ on November 24, 2015, 04:01:46 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has found success with the use of Meladine, that allegedly adds melanin to the follicles under the skin and allows the absorption of the laser ray and the destruction of the follicle.

I used Meladine over the course of a dozen or so laser sessions. The only effect I noticed was greatly increasing post treatment follicle infection.
~VA (pronounced Vee- Aye, the abbreviation for the State of Virginia where I live)
  •  

Maid Marion

Not only did my wife had to shave, she would even shave in the women's restroom.  I recall one little girl asking her mommy "why"
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: Beth Andrea on November 26, 2015, 12:31:50 PM

I'm thinking about doing the E3000 process, if I can find the link....

I know this thread was a while ago, but I was wondering if you did indeed go to E3000, and if so, what was your experience?

Back when they were Electrology2000, I had a very bad experience with them. I wondered if they had improved.

Thanks,
Kate
  •  

DawnOday

I've got about 90 hours and maybe 15 more to go. It hurts but I take some precautions which help immensely. Drink lot's of water and do not have coffee the morning of the treatment. I also use lidocaine especially on the upper lip.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

GingerVicki

I am glad this tread popped up. Looks like I will have to buy lidocaine.
  •  

nancy_james

Heard this is a super long procedure compared to laser hair removal. I don't know if I have the patience to withstand it lol
  •  

KatieP

Well, um. Do you want it to work?

I spent A LOT of money on laser, with very dark hair at the time. Virtually all came back, in spite of following the protocols and costs perfectly.

The patience may be the only option...

K
  •  

AnonyMs

Quote from: KatieP on September 11, 2018, 11:24:00 PM
I spent A LOT of money on laser, with very dark hair at the time. Virtually all came back, in spite of following the protocols and costs perfectly.

How long did it take to come back? When could you tell it was coming back?
  •  

Chloe

Quote from: NikkiJ on August 13, 2018, 10:32:35 AM
Hi all! I'm the OP. Well, it's 2018, I did quit electrolysis.

I quit too . . . after 'bout 20hrs with Ahova Atlanta (Mishael's) found it to be of little benefit @ great expense. Know someone here who cleared face by herself but unsure I'd recommend that either! Used to watch my step-grandmother work out of her garage studio wished had 'out' sooner! Has to be a better way . . .

". . . it ruins any chance of intimacy." Guys like "scruff" NOT!
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: kat69 on April 03, 2017, 10:37:07 AM
I was a little confused with the OP.  Electrolysis shouldn't matter what color the hair is....it's electricity into the follicle. 

Am I mistaken?

It makes a big difference to how much juice it takes to fry the follicle.  I can tell when my electrologist is zapping a white hair, because she cranks the machine up to "Kill"!  She has to scrape me off the ceiling after those ones.  The younger, darker hairs, she can get with a setting of "Stun".

Quote from: nancy_james on September 11, 2018, 11:21:31 PM
Heard this is a super long procedure compared to laser hair removal. I don't know if I have the patience to withstand it lol
If you have gray or white hairs, your only choices are electrolysis or shave every day.  I think a girl shouldn't have to shave, so it has been worth the year and a half I have spent so far getting my face zapped.  I am actually seeing results now.  And it keeps my transition moving forward while I am waiting for other appointments.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: AnonyMs on September 12, 2018, 03:44:42 AM
How long did it take to come back? When could you tell it was coming back?

The way I remember it, very soon after a session, it did seem like the hair had thinned a bit. But it was never like all the hair was gone for any amount of time. So, after 8 or 10 sessions weeks apart (a month apart?), I stopped. And, long term, it may have be thinner than it was to start. Hard to say. The laser tech said results on established beards are mixed. My part of the mix wasn't so good. I tried only the one place, and the one type of laser, although I don't recall the laser type any more. That place was in a dermatologist's office, so I thought/hoped it would be good.

Laser was very effective on my legs. That was money well-spent, and highly recommended.

Kate
  •