Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The Frustration of Electrolysis With Grey Facial Hair

Started by NikkiJ, November 21, 2015, 01:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikkiJ

Sorry for the rant. I'm tired of the pain and expense, and don't know if I should just stop or what.

I've been getting electrolysis for 10 years. Due to a stressful marriage, I went gray pretty early, and that makes electrolysis difficult because grey hairs take longer to zap. The lack of progress is convincing me that I should just stop, I'll be dead before it's finished at this rate! My upper lip isn't even done!

I've had several operators over the years, but today after a particularly painful session, I am thinking I should just quit. Laser doesn't work on grey hairs. I'm all done with every other aspect of my transformation, and work full time as female, but this is just looking like the definition of insanity. I can get away without shaving because it's pretty light, but I know it's there, and it ruins any chance of intimacy.

Rant over. I just don't know what to do, but I have to stop torturing myself.
Better watch out for the skin deep - The Stranglers
  •  

Catherine Sarah

Hi Nikki,

Oooohhhh that top lip. I feel your pain  :D

Have you tried the topical anaesthetic creams? Dulls the senses long enough to get through a session.  How long do you session for?

Speak to you as soon as I shampoo my hair.

Huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

suzifrommd

Having the same experience. Coming up on the two year mark, two hour sessions, twice a week. I've spent more on electro than on my SRS. Eats up my time, my money and hurts like all get out.

Make it stop.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

NikkiJ

Quote from: Catherine Sarah on November 21, 2015, 01:54:23 PM
Hi Nikki,

Oooohhhh that top lip. I feel your pain  :D

Have you tried the topical anaesthetic creams? Dulls the senses long enough to get through a session.  How long do you session for?

Speak to you as soon as I shampoo my hair.

Huggs
Catherine

Well, I've got the cream, but I was originally a redhead, and I've heard how we feel pain more than other humans (lucky us!). I'm leaning toward thinking that this is true. Sometimes it's no big deal, but then I have a day like today when it just kills me. But the pain wouldn't be so bad if I thought I was making progress.
  •  

NikkiJ

Quote from: suzifrommd on November 21, 2015, 02:29:31 PM
Having the same experience. Coming up on the two year mark, two hour sessions, twice a week. I've spent more on electro than on my SRS. Eats up my time, my money and hurts like all get out.

Make it stop.

I hear you! There was a time when I could do two hours, when I first began electrolysis, but now I can only handle 45 minute sessions once a week.
  •  

Catherine Sarah

Hi Nikki,

You're right about being a "red". Are the hairs light enough to wax? Although it's not a permanent solution, at least you can pick a good day and it's pretty instantaneous. Only one scream needed, instead of a lip full.

Speak to you as soon as I water the ducks.

Huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

Kellam

Another red beard here, and hater of electro. I have only been able to handle once a week hour sessions. Most of the face stuff has reached the invisible stage and the softer hair isn't so bad. I am a fairly butch woman so I am trying to see if I can hack having some facial hair. So long as I can't see it, it doesn't get ingrown and it my skin stays as smooth as it is in the areas she has done. I am trying to adjust to not shaving every day. I hate it. It is such a male activity. Pre transition I buzzed my face and head once a month. I have some hairy cis female friends and am trying to take their lead. Just kill the bristles and red pigment. I think I can do soft and blond.
https://atranswomanstale.wordpress.com This is my blog A Trans Woman's Tale -Chris Jen Kellam-Scott

"You must always be yourself, no matter what the price. It is the highest form of morality."   -Candy Darling

•  

- Rachel -

I've spent over $8K on electrolysis since 4/2014. I'm pretty much all gray. I am definitely making progress. After being on HRT for this long, it seems to hurt more. I cope by using emla cream, 10 mg oxycodone and a lot of medical marijuana (it's legal here).

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself." -- Robert Frost
  •  

Joi

Yes it sucks! And $$$$$'s  gone.  I've had about 30 hrs. so far and many more to go.  I got a scrip for a formulary ointment that is 5 x as strong as EMLA.  It helps a lot.  My biggest issue is the swelling. I had 2 hrs on my upper lip recently and it's still a little swollen after over 2 wks.

•  

Jenny07

Yes it's slow as I also have many grey hares, It also expensive.....
Remember How do you eat an elephant?

Catherine can you paint my house?
So long and thanks for all the fish
  •  

AnonyMs

I've never heard of it taking 10 years before. That's a bit scary since I've not started yet.

Is it possible that is a run of bad luck with the operators?

•  

katrinaw

I just started last Friday, could only get an Hour, cost me AUD135.00.... I have grey beard hair, was always light before.
Luckily I started under the chin and barely felt a thing... but now I think I am starting get a little worried about how long it may take.

But my Electrologist was really good, I did get a tiny bit of swelling and one little capillary hit (tiny bruise). Started with Thermolysis 27Mhz... seemed OK.

Katy xxx
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

Ms Grace

Are you doing Galvanic or Thermolysis? I've got a light beard with a lot of grey and white and have done 115 hours of galvanic over two years and now have hardly anything left. I'm hoping it'll be gone within another 10-15 hours.

My electro continues to say galvanic is much more effective and permanent than thermolysis, I kind of figured it was just self promotion but there does seem to be some truth to it. People having thermolysis can often be at it for hundreds of hours with little to show for it, with a need for second and even third sweeps of treated areas. At least with galvanic, when the follicle's dead it tends to stay that way, no second sweeps.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

katrinaw

Good point, I can go either, just thought I'd start with thermo tho... start gently  ;D

There is a real difference, Galvanic creates a chemical reaction as well as a zap, where thermo is just a zap and heat is created, the one that was used for me, runs at 27Mhz, less discomfort and can be zapped a little longer...

I will also try Galvanic, just makes more sense when I can get 2 hour appointments after Xmas maybe...?

Katy xx
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

VickyMI

400 hours here over last four years 😱
I am 95% grey 😞
I also had numerous laser sessions the last 4 years 😨
I don't have to shave every day and the grey hairs don't show much but yes I know they are there and yes kissing is an issue.  So I still shave before going out on a date. 😍

My two cents:

Go to Amazon.com search lidocaine 5 apply the cream an hour before the treatment cover with Syrian wrap. 😷

Also I have never heard grey or black makes a difference with electrolysis only laser. 👀
Happy T Gurl living as Vicky half time.
  •  

AnonyMs

For anyone who missed it and is interested, there was a thread a while ago on topical anesthetics

Electrolysis Pain Management
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=176665.0
  •  

NikkiJ

I'm wondering if anyone has found success with the use of Meladine, that allegedly adds melanin to the follicles under the skin and allows the absorption of the laser ray and the destruction of the follicle.

Or is that just wishful thinking? The stuff is 60 bucks a bottle and I'd be willing to check it out. For grey hair, they recommend six weeks of application prior to laser treatment.

I used to hear about the "blend" method of electrolysis being the best. Years ago, I did meet a shyster technician who didn't even bother to give me the electrode to hold until I mentioned it. 
  •  

Beth Andrea

Are we talking about laser or electrolysis? As I understood it, laser doesn't work well on grey or other light hair colors, but electrolysis (which uses a wire actually inserted into the hole and touches the follicle itself) doesn't care about hair color, since it doesn't depend on light.

I'm thinking about doing the E3000 process, if I can find the link....
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

JLT1

Hi,

I have found that an instrument that uses a combination of both electrolysis and thermolysis to be very effective with grey hairs.

I use a topical right before treatment but it still hurts.

Jen
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

Jessie Ann

I have the curse of the grey hairs. I have done about 75 hours of electrolyis and it has made a difference. I have had multiple sessions with 2 techs doing multiple hours of work. My last session a couple of weeks ago was the equivalent of 13 hours. I am probably only half done. It is going to end up being the most expensive and time consuming part of my transition. I just use topicals and have actually fallen asleep durning some of my sessions.  I wish there was an easier way to get rid of the grey.
  •