Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

FFS with Facial Team - Wed April 6th 2016

Started by Paula1, November 27, 2015, 07:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paula1

Well another weekend beckons and lots to do as always.

Some good programmes to watch especially "The Voice UK" which I love.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Voice_UK_(series_5)

Far better than 'X' Factor IMHO 

The banter and competition between will.i.am, Boy George, Paloma Faith and Ricky Wilson is wonderful.

Waiting to see if any of them turn round in their chairs is fascinating.

I used to sing in choirs etc and I am so looking forward to vocal chord surgery at Yeson in South Korea next year.

But it's been a hard week for a variety of reasons almost to the point of postponing my surgery to later in the year.

At my ripe old age ( and I never thought that I would ever say this ), small things as well as bigger things, I find difficult to deal with.

Also I find it harder to tolerate people's inefficiency, stupidity or sheer lack of common sense.

A couple of weeks back I went to the funeral of a lovely man who passed away at 61, way too young and eleven days ago I had a minor varicose vein procedure on my left leg by Radiofrequency Ablation. No general anaesthetic fortunately and so far a great success.

But a year ago the same leg was operated on by another surgeon in the same NHS hospital and the vein was cored out and avulsed proximally and distally. However this vein remained intact so unfortunately this had not taken away the vicious cycle or venous hypertension away.

The bedside manner of the original surgeon was to put it bluntly "Outright rude" and I nearly told him where to go and walked out of the hospital. Regrettably I went ahead.

To rub salt into the wounds at a later meeting with him, while he was dictating a letter to my GP, he referred to me as 'He'. His secretary upon typing the letter to my GP thought he must have made a mistake and, of course, referred to me as "She" because naturally all my records are female.

I am sure he enjoyed further insulting me put I kept my cool and was polite.

When I told my wonderfully supportive GP, she was shocked to say the very least.

I had a feeling he was transphobic when I first met him and I am just biding my time before reporting him to the hospital's chief executive.

The second surgeon is a lovely man and we hit it off from day one and the care that he and his team afforded me last Sunday week was awesome.

Shame that my medical records give the game away because the lady who carried out the pre-operative tests a couple of weeks ago was shocked when she realised from my records that I am transsexual. She said she would never have known except for this giveaway.

It surprising how many members of the medical profession have very negative opinions on transsexual men and women and on occasions we have to put our lives into the hands of these people.

I am not saying that the first surgeon deliberately messed up but you never know. Also he left with a rotten and painful keloid scar and I never scar badly. More to go in my complaint.

In two weeks time they begin injecting the keloid scar with kenalog. More expense that the NHS and ultimately the UK tax payer has to pay for.

However how lucky we girls are to have caring and supportive surgeons like Facial Team.

They are the only reason I did not postpone.

Time to chill and watch the Graham Norton show:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Graham_Norton_Show

Nitey nite and everyone have a restful weekend, I hope to.

Hugs

Paula

•  

Paula1

Chilling out to Mark Knopfler's (Dire Straits) awesome  2002 album "The R>-bleeped-<icker's Dream

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_R>-bleeped-<icker%27s_Dream

Thinking how wonderful it is that girls transitioning these days have the choice of some great surgeons.

When I transitioned in the late 80's, it was either recommendation by word of mouth or taking a chance with surgeons some of whom were very good at taking your money and running away when things went wrong or done badly.

I have had my fair share of bad luck as you will know if you have read this thread fully and my previous one  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,180029.0.html

There have been times when I thought that I must have done something wrong in my past life and I was now being punished for it.

There have been occasions when I have even felt guilty for transitioning.

In the early days of my transition, I approached the UK national press and women's magazines and as a result I had very positive articles printed because I wanted the general public to know that we are not freaks but simply people who were born in the wrong body.

In the mid 90's, I even sat in the audience on BBC 1's "Kilroy" which was a positive programme for us girls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_(TV_series)

Robert Kilroy- Silk was very pro transgendered/transsexual people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kilroy-Silk

as indeed retired BBC sports presenter Des Lynam is, who was good pals with model and James Bond girl " Tula " aka Caroline Cossey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Lynam

and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroline_Cossey

Remember seeing them together one evening in Soho's "Madame JoJo's"  http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/24/madame-jojos-legendary-soho-nightclub-forced-close

But my worst experience was once meeting so called feminist Germaine Greer and I told her exactly what I thought of her .... ;D 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germaine_Greer

Let's put it this way, it wasn't exactly complimentary ...  :icon_giggle:

See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34625512

and: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/germaine-greer-defends-grossly-offensive-comments-about-transgender-women-just-because-you-lop-off-a6709061.html

What angers me more than anything else is when we girls are exploited by so called medical professionals.

Don't get me started on London's Charing Cross Hospital "Gender Identity Clinic" back in the 70's/80's/90's.

It's better now but still has policies that get my goat.

Thank God, I avoided them as I probably would not be alive now.

Two pre-op friends of mine hung themselves because of the Charing Cross "GIC" back in the 80's ....  >:(

Anyway lots more rest for me and positive thoughts before I take a Spanish holiday in early April ....  ;D

•  

Paula1

Yesterday I e-mailed the final blood results required before surgery for these parameters:

Haemogram, Coagulation, HIV and Hepatitis (B and C).

All results normal/negative

7 weeks from today and I shall be in the operating theatre ....  :o

I know that I am used to surgery but I am getting very nervous about it all.
  •  

Paula1

Good Morning everyone,

Just been checking out Archlord's latest post after her surgery with Dr Bensimon in Canada.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,204276.20.html

The nose has to be the most important part of the face, then the forehead.

That is why I am so looking forward to my complex revision rhinoplasty with Dr Bellinga on April 6th.

Then I will get the nose that I wanted in the first place as per Virtual FFS's foto in 2003.

After my Feb 2004 FFS surgery, you can see that the nose and upper lip lift is very different to Virtual FFS's foto  as above. Too much soft tissue was removed at the bottom of the nose leaving me with a somewhat piggy nose. Also the stupid fat in the top lip negated the upper lip lift performed and the effect of the fat makes me look like I have been having a few rounds in the boxing ring !!! ...  :o ... Also note the over high eyebrows!!

Sorry for the unkempt hair but this foto was taken first thing in the morning after the night before travelling 1500 miles from Chicago to Albuquerque, NM in April 2013.

I will upload more recent fotos of my face very soon.

Have a great weekend folks.

Hugs

Paula

•  

Paula1

Carrying on from my reply #16 on this thread https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,204358.0.html

Went to see the orthopaedic surgeon this pm and after examining the second toe on my left foot, the top joint is not right and needs straightening more ... Another pin thru the toe for a month or so!!

Gonna be interesting hearing the crunching going on ...  :o as we agreed to have it done under a local. He said the painful bit will be injecting the anaesthetic in the base of the toe but I said that I am used to that ... ;D

Thanks Dad for giving me your funny feet.

I had the first op on them when I was 13 (both feet) when the fourth and little toes were locked solid.

Two further ops on both feet in 2007 & 2009 and now this final one (hopefully).

When I told him that I was undergoing the facial surgery in April, he said " Let's leave it until later in the year " which I thought was a good idea ... ;)

I am definitely a "surgery junkie " whether by design or not .....  ;D

Quote from: Paula1 on February 19, 2016, 12:48:27 PM

Then off to bed early because the lounge is being redecorated in the morning and then I have a hospital appointment to see an orthopaedic surgeon for a left foot second  toe operation that was not done well a few years ago.

I don't seem to have much luck with some surgeons be they NHS or private !!!  :o

•  

Paula1

Hi everyone,

Nearly the end of winter (February) and spring is beckoning.

Mind you, it has been the mildest winter here in the UK since 1910 and in some areas the wettest ...  :(

A month on Thursday, I fly out to Spain.

Getting real excited but also more and more nervous which, of course, is natural when the face is involved.

Must say the attention to detail by Facial Team's co-ordinator Laura and her other colleagues is second to none.

Compared to some of the administration mistakes ( as well as surgery errors ) that I have suffered at the hands of the UK's NHS, FT are far more efficient.

In fact, I can safely say that they are the most professional and caring private provider that I have come across since transitioning in 1988.

Have a good week folks.

Hugs

Paula

•  

Paula1

:o :o :o :o :o

The pesky UK£ is falling against the Euro due to the UK's June "In or out of Europe" referendum.

G'rrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!

So my surgery is costing quite a lot more.

No need for it but it's engineered so that the money men can make lots of profit.

Bankers etc, I hate them ....  >:(
  •  

Paula1

Sent some of the money by TransferWise just now.

See: https://transferwise.com/

The rest two weeks before surgery.

Saves a small fortune in bank charges ...  8)

Also see my thread; https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,199848.msg1810925.html#msg1810925

•  

Paula1

Good morning everyone,

Last night I had a very encouraging e-mail wishing me the very best of luck with my surgery. This person recently watched Dr Bellinga do an extremely complex rhinoplasty and said that he was very impressive.

This person also said " That the main thing to remember with my nose is that it is complicated and it is not going to be possible to simply undo the damage that has been done, but of course, you know that."

" However, what you can hope for is a very useful improvement, and I know Dr Bellinga will be aiming for the absolute maximum improvement that his expertise can give you. Based on my observations, I would say his expertise is considerable."

I replied "I am 100% confident that he will do a great job, otherwise I would be leaving my poor nose and ears alone." ( I am having cartilage taken from them for the nose ).

Finally I said that I feel reassured now that my nose will be fine and said thank you for contacting me  :)

•  

Paula1

Four weeks from today and I will be having my pre-op tests done and discussions with Drs Capitan, Simon & Bellinga.

Time sure moves fast !!!  :o

Have a good week everyone.

Hugs

Paula
  •  

Paula1

Woke up early this morning and realised it's four weeks today that I enter another operating theatre.

The only time I seem to get abroad these days or even have a holiday is to have surgery ... LOL   ;D

Still it hasn't been all bad as I have many trips to the USA for revisions and it was a great opportunity to visit my two wonderful friends, one in New Mexico and the other in Wisconsin.

Thanks to Yahoo's FFS Support group, I met them in 2004 and 2005 and we have had some wonderful times together which I will cherish to the day I leave this earth. Now I am welling up .... :'( Daft me.

Since my Facial Team journey began in February last year, I have made more friends such as Jenny Bowman who runs 'Jenny's Nest' for FT's post-operative patients and cannot wait to see her again and stay for a few days after my surgery. I am sure that I will enjoy meeting her other recovering patients while there and hope to make more friends.

Anyway lots still to do to get ready for early next month such as spring cleaning etc, you know what I mean ...  ;) ;)

•  

Paula1

Hi all,

Last Thursday I was at my local hospital awaiting an ultrasound on my left leg that was operated on at the end of January by radiofrequency ablation (RFA) and I was telling some other patients that I was undergoing a few hours forehead surgery in early April as a result of an accident many years ago.

They said " You are very brave ".

None of them I am sure were aware of my background.

It's surprising how many people are scared of any surgery, I am now just about immune to it all ... LOL  ;D

I suppose we are brave or just mad to put ourselves thru all this surgery !!!

Do we have a choice " Not really ".

By the way, the operation in January was a success, so far !!! ....  :)

•  

Paula1

I had an e-mail from Facial Team today that has made me feel even more relaxed than ever over my forthcoming surgery in just over three weeks time.

They sure are taking every precaution with me and looking after my best interests which is so reassuring.

It was discovered about three years ago that I had a slightly enlarged ascending aorta which my cardiologist feels that I may have had all my adult life.

I have had symptoms for years.

However I have had quite a lot of surgery pre and post transition and all GA's have been "A Walk in the Park" for me, I am glad to say. The last one in 2014 was a breeze but I am am still touching wood as I write this.

When I had my revision surgery with Mr Simon Eccles at London's Chelsea & Westminster in October 2014, they were made aware of this but my textbook blood pressure ( all my life) and good cardiogram result meant that they were not concerned about me. Being a teaching hospital, they, of course, had a cardiologist on standby ( as they do with every patient who has surgery there ) just in case of problems.

Anyway I am a bit older now although my latest January 2016 CT scan said that there was no significant change to the aorta which again demonstrates that I may have had this all my adult life.

I do have a gluten free diet, eat lots of vegetables and fresh fruit, take honey in my tea and 2000mg Omega-3  every day. I don't smoke, consume very little alcohol and I also fast walk around 2 to 3 miles a day and never get out of breath. I also swim quite often.

This website provides excellent advice to people like me:

http://www.healthcentral.com/heart-disease/c/1435/118832/neglected/

Since stopping taking the dreaded osteoporosis drug Fosamax/Alendronic Acid in 2013 ( which should never have been prescribed to me in the first place by an endocrinologist who should have known better ) - we girls don't normally need it as we are on HRT , any slight palpitations that I used to have have long since gone. One of the side effects of this synthetic drug is palpitations amongst others.

The manufaturers Merck have put aside $48 million to set up a defense fund for lawsuits related to Fosamax which is one tenth of what the company spent on legal costs for Vioxx in 2006.

My GP ( local doctor) said to me the other day, that it was a great pity that this uneducated ( for girls like us) endocrinologist prescribed this bisphosphonate drug for me in the first place.

I am so glad that I took it upon myself to see Dr Leighton-Seal the UK's top endocrinologist for us girls at London's Charing Cross and St George's Hospitals.

Anyway the FT e-mail said:

Planning for your pending surgery has involved several complex factors.

After careful evaluation of your medical history by our Anesthesiology Unit, the case has been classified as high surgical risk (ASA III-IV) due to the presence of a dilation of 4.6 cm at the level of the ascending aorta. This implies the need for a number of specific personnel and infrastructural measures in case of any post surgical complication or issue associated with the given heart condition.

The stated preventive measures would include the presence of two anesthesiologists during your surgery, an on-call cardiologist/chest surgeon, as well as an intensive care doctor for the initial hours after your surgery. If any complication were to arise during or after the surgery, a Cardiology Unit is required to respond to the need for any interventions.  This type of medical unit, which is only required for "Third Level" public or private health centers according to the health legislation of Spain, is therefore not available within our current hospital.  For this reason, our team informs you that it would be necessary, in the event of complications, to transfer your care (via the appropriate medical transportation system) to said Cardiology Unit within the nearby Quirón Hospital of Marbella.

Given the complexity of your case due to the peculiarities of the underlying pathology, it is our ethical and professional obligation to offer alternative solutions that guarantee security and stability throughout the surgical procedure and post-anesthetic period. 

We want you to understand that this measure requires substantial modifications to our normal work routine and therefore involves the mobilization of a number of extraordinary resources. However, we perceive this to be part of our obligation and duty to ensure greater safety in the treatment plan proposed to you.

So I am now just chilling until I fly down to Malaga in just over 2 weeks time.

This surgery is going to be a big day for me and I am looking forward to getting it done so that I can get on with life once again.

If only the original surgery had been done properly in the first place and my not having to go through it once again.

But I am not the first patient to be in this situation and sadly will not be the last.

C'est la vie !!!
  •  

Paula1

Seeing Shoko's positive report just now, I am getting more and more excited that I will be in Marbella in eleven days from now ...  :)

Then it will be time to put my feet up for a few hours ...  ;D

Have a lovely Sunday everyone.

I'm looking forward to watching the Australian Grand Prix.
  •  

Paula1

I think that I will rename this thread Paula's blog ....  ;)

On Saturday afternoon, I noticed that I had a bit of swelling around the left ankle and top of the left foot which concerned me.

So I drove over to my local hospital to get it checked as I had that varicose vein procedure on January 31st.

Anyway they took some blood in case there was a possible DVT and the following day (yesterday), they carried out a very thorough ultrasound scan which proved to be negative.

So that was good because you never know especially with us girls on HRT.

She reckoned that there was a bit of residual fluid in the ankle and foot and asked if I had been overdoing it. I said probably. 

The operative was asking me why I had to go to Spain to have my forehead revised and told her about my long saga and the fact that London's Chelsea & Westminster hospital did not get it right. She was surprised when I told her that it seems that there is no surgeon in the UK who has the expertise in this type of revision surgery.

She said this must be costing you a small fortune but I told her that as the NHS had got it wrong, they were picking up Facial Team's tab. Brilliant she said and so they should ...  :)

I said that I still had to pay for all my travelling and accommodation costs and I was paying for my rhinoplasty revision.

So all in all this weekend although very busy was also a positive one.

This morning the left foot is fine.

Have a good week folks ....  ;D
  •  

KayXo

Quote from: Paula1 on March 21, 2016, 04:41:26 AM
Anyway they took some blood in case there was a possible DVT and the following day (yesterday), they carried out a very thorough ultrasound scan which proved to be negative.

So that was good because you never know especially with us girls on HRT.

HRT is not all the same. Some components increase the risk while others, like bio-identical progesterone, finasteride/dutasteride don't and non-oral estradiol's effect is negligible.
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

deeiche

First, I wish you the best in your surgery recovery.  I've followed your post here and on Yahoo ffs-support for years.

I realize this is a FFS related thread but you are talking about HRT.

I'm 57, I have not been on HRT since shortly after SRS surgery in 1985.  I just had a full endocrinology test panel done in late January.  My endo followed up with the test results, saying I'm in post menopausal range, and she'd see me in a year.  I fully informed her about my health history.

I have never seen any reports studying long term treatment of transwomen with HRT.  I stopped HRT post SRS because I didn't believe any getting injections the rest of my life.  I have taken calcium supplements the last 15 years or so.

Just to let you know there is another perspective related to HRT.
"It's only money, not life or death"
  •  

Paula1

Hiya,

Thanks for the info.

I apply Sandrena Gel( Estradiol) transdermally at <Not Permitted> a day to the thighs.

Also take Finasteride <Not Permitted> every other day.

Quote from: KayXo on March 21, 2016, 04:21:15 PM
HRT is not all the same. Some components increase the risk while others, like bio-identical progesterone, finasteride/dutasteride don't and non-oral estradiol's effect is negligible.

Mod Edit:Dosage
  •  

Paula1

Hiya ...  :)

Quote from: deeiche on March 21, 2016, 06:12:50 PM
First, I wish you the best in your surgery recovery.

Thank you very much ....  :)

I've followed your post here and on Yahoo ffs-support for years.

Wow. Yes I started my FFS journey in November 2003, a long time back now.

I realize this is a FFS related thread but you are talking about HRT.

I'm 57, I have not been on HRT since shortly after SRS surgery in 1985.  I just had a full endocrinology test panel done in late January.  My endo followed up with the test results, saying I'm in post menopausal range, and she'd see me in a year.  I fully informed her about my health history.

I have never seen any reports studying long term treatment of transwomen with HRT.  I stopped HRT post SRS because I didn't believe any getting injections the rest of my life.  I have taken calcium supplements the last 15 years or so.

Just to let you know there is another perspective related to HRT.

Thanks for the information.

When I was taking oestrogen orally my levels were way too low and I had no energy, sex drive and generally felt old. Now that Dr Leighton-Seal my UK endocrinologist has put me on Sandrena Gel for 3-4 years now, my levels are higher and I have all the energy in the world. 

Take care

Hugs

Paula
  •  

KayXo

Quote from: deeiche on March 21, 2016, 06:12:50 PM
I have never seen any reports studying long term treatment of transwomen with HRT.

We have plenty of studies dating back to the 1960's. It's a matter of taking the time to dig them up, read them in their entirety  and draw some conclusions as some recent researchers have, regarding the different health risks associated with HRT.  Take Gooren's* or Asscheman's studies, for instance or this study (Journal of Clinical & Translational Endocrinology 2 (2015) 55-60, Hormone therapy in transgender adults is safe with provider supervision; A review of hormone therapy sequelae for transgender individuals) Add to that the studies on ciswomen, on men and observations in pregnant women and you begin to see a pattern unfold. Soon enough, you realize that if bio-identical hormones are taken for a lifetime, they are quite safe and beneficial, to ageing, bones, perhaps breast cancer (as studies are more indicative of a protective than harmful effect, if you take the time to read several different types of studies and understand what they mean and their strengths/weaknesses), perhaps colon cancer, memory (it can slow down the onset or prevent Alzheimer's), mood, energy, libido, feminine appearance, skin/hair, cardiovascular health (as opposed to some progestogens and non bio-identical forms of estrogen; accounts for why women before menopause suffer less from this than men).

QuoteI stopped HRT post SRS because I didn't believe any getting injections the rest of my life.  I have taken calcium supplements the last 15 years or so.

Estrogen is not only necessary for bones but for so many other things, as mentioned above. I see no reason, if one relies on studies so far, to not take HRT if the right hormones are taken, especially non-orally in the case of estradiol as it negligibly affect the risk of clots (supported by my own experience, pregnancy in women and studies in men and transsexual women).

Sadly, just because of the bad rap non-bio-identical estrogens have gotten and the famous WHI study of 2003 (which interestingly, was replicated years before with opposite results but on a smaller population), women and many doctors have come to view HRT in a negative fashion. The victims are the women who believe that all HRT is bad and who miss getting the many benefits from them when the right hormones are taken.

QuoteJust to let you know there is another perspective related to HRT.

It's your life, I respect your decision. But, I hope you took that decision knowing full well the potential consequences of not taking any hormones and having a clear understanding of the benefits/risks after having fully read through the literature. It would be unfortunate if that decision was based on incomplete or not fully understood data. I tend to blame more the doctors than the patients as the latter should (perhaps in an ideal world) rely on them to make sound decisions and be well-informed but in the world of HRT as it relates to transgendered women especially, few doctors are really well-versed and there is no official training at medical school for this. Biases also exist not only toward transgendered people but towards women, especially when doctors are male.

*Journal of Clinical & Translational Endocrinology 2 (2015) 55-60

"Gooren et al. (2008), reported no increase in VTE among 2236 male-to-female (MTF) transgender individuals on HT from 1975 to 2006 compared with controls, with the exception of those who used ethinyl estradiol, for which there was a 6-8% incidence [4]."

J Sex Med 2013;10:3129–3134

"We researched the occurrence of breast cancer among transsexual persons 18–80 years with an exposure
to cross-sex hormones between 5 to >30 years. Our study included 2,307 male-to-female (MtF) transsexual persons
undergoing androgen deprivation and estrogen administration (52,370 person-years of exposure)"

"The mean follow-up period of subjects receiving anti-androgens and estrogens or only estrogens was 21.4 ± 8.7 years
(median 17.6, range 6.0–43.5 years)."

Another mention of long-term reports (follow-ups)

Andrologia. 2015 Aug;47(6):680-4.

"In the Amsterdam Gender Clinic between 1975 and
2006, 2306 MtoF transsexual subjects were treated. The
mean age at initiation of treatment was 29.3   12.7 years,
with a range of 16–83 years. Mean follow-up in these
subjects was 21.4 years, providing a total of 51 173
person-years of exposure and follow-up. Follow-up of
20 years or more was available of 303 individuals,
including follow-up of 30 years or greater in 151."

"In Trangender Clinic of Hospital das Clınicas, at the
Medical School of University of Sao Paulo, 166 MtoF
transsexuals have been followed since 1996."

I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •