News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

FFS with Facial Team - Wed April 6th 2016

Started by Paula1, November 27, 2015, 07:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paula1

Great post KayXo ..  :)

Before I went to see Dr Leighton-Seal, my local endocrinologist had me on Fosamax/Alendronic Acid to reduce the risk of osteoporosis for a long time when I should never have been put on it in the first place as I was taking oestrogen and calcium tablets.

Bisphosphonate which the drug contains is an ingredient that has been used for many years in laundry soaps, fertilizers and industrial lubricants to prevent corrosion !!!

Merck this drug manufacturer introduced this product around 1995 and has been a money spinner for them. Sales reps toured the USA , UK etc selling it to doctors and endos alike. In 13 years sales were in excess of 3 billion dollars but they have put aside $48 million to set up a defense fund for lawsuits related to the drug.

This drug caused me to have palpitations until I came off it in 2013. Also bisphosphonates can weaken the jaw with a side effect called osteonecrosis, eczema ( which I had but long gone now), hair loss etc.

A very serious side effect is femur fracture. This happened to my friend's aunt in Florida who was on the drug for years and her femur broke when she was nearly 90. Effectively the drug killed her because she never recovered from the break.

See:  https://www.drugwatch.com/fosamax/

•  

Paula1

Anyway back on topic, it's now 9 days before I fly to Spain ...  :)

Nite all.
  •  

deeiche

studies "dating back to 60's"?  recent studies , something from 21st century, has shown that understanding of HRT even for cis women has changed.  why should they not change for transwomen?

My bone density is fine, shown by recent test, so are my hormone levels.

What I'm trying to say is, everyone is an individual, long term HRT should be treated on an individual basis.  If you don't "need" HRT why should you take HRT?
"It's only money, not life or death"
  •  

KayXo

Quote from: deeiche on March 22, 2016, 06:00:32 AM
studies "dating back to 60's"?  recent studies , something from 21st century, has shown that understanding of HRT even for cis women has changed.  why should they not change for transwomen?

We understand things better today by looking at past results dating back to the 1960's. The accumulated evidence allows us today to draw more solid conclusions. We now are realizing that different types of estrogen affect the body differently, that bio-identical estradiol is safer, non-oral even more so. Same with progestogens. Etc. Had it not been for past results and experiences, we would not have understood this today. The science of the past is important.

QuoteIf you don't "need" HRT why should you take HRT?

In my opinion, having some sex hormones in the body enhances quality of life, slows down ageing, maintains feminization, prevents/slows down the onset of some diseases including diabetes, coronary heart disease and Alzheimer's. It makes for a better sex life as well and allows one to more fully enjoy life. 

Quote from: Paula1 on March 21, 2016, 08:39:09 PM
Anyway back on topic, it's now 9 days before I fly to Spain ...  :)

Best of luck and I'm glad you're off this terrible drug and feel better. Yuk!
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

deeiche

Sorry Paula for hijacking your thread but this is an important topic.

I have estrogen in my body, adrenal glands also produce estrogen.  Once again, I will state, my recent endo workup shows I have post-menopause hormone levels.  My bone density is okay, I'm healthy, my docs acknowledge that.  This is after 30 years post SRS with no HRT.

I'd love to read a long term double blind study regarding HRT vs no HRT post SRS in transwomen?

Quote from: KayXo on March 22, 2016, 07:44:13 AM
We understand things better today by looking at past results dating back to the 1960's. The accumulated evidence allows us today to draw more solid conclusions. We now are realizing that different types of estrogen affect the body differently, that bio-identical estradiol is safer, non-oral even more so. Same with progestogens. Etc. Had it not been for past results and experiences, we would not have understood this today. The science of the past is important.

In my opinion, having some sex hormones in the body enhances quality of life, slows down ageing, maintains feminization, prevents/slows down the onset of some diseases including diabetes, coronary heart disease and Alzheimer's. It makes for a better sex life as well and allows one to more fully enjoy life. 

•  

KayXo

Quote from: deeiche on March 22, 2016, 05:21:43 PMI have estrogen in my body, adrenal glands also produce estrogen.

Very little.

QuoteI have post-menopause hormone levels.

Post-menopausal levels are very low.

QuoteMy bone density is okay, I'm healthy, my docs acknowledge that.  This is after 30 years post SRS with no HRT.

If you feel fine and you are healthy, great! It's a matter of personal choice. But why not take HRT?

QuoteI'd love to read a long term double blind study regarding HRT vs no HRT post SRS in transwomen?

One need only look at what the lack of hormones does in post-menopausal women who only have their adrenal glands producing sex hormones.

Maturitas. 2008 Jul-Aug;60(3-4):185-201.

"Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) in young postmenopausal women is a safe and effective tool to counteract climacteric symptoms and to prevent long-term degenerative diseases, such as osteoporotic fractures, cardiovascular disease, diabetes mellitus and possibly cognitive impairment."

"In addition, recent indications suggest potential advantages for blood pressure control with non-oral estrogens."

BMJ. 2012 Oct 9;345:e6409.

"A significant interaction was found between hormone replacement therapy and age at baseline for the composite endpoint mortality or breast cancer (P=0.028) with the younger women (<50 years) receiving hormone therapy having a significantly reduced risk (0.49, 0.28 to 0.87, P=0.015, fig 6). Women who had undergone hysterectomy (n=192) and received oestrogen alone had a decreased risk of death or breast cancer compared with women in the control group (0.42, 0.18 to 0.97; P=0.043; fig 6)."

"After 10 years of randomised treatment, women receiving hormone replacement therapy early after menopause had a significantly reduced risk of mortality, heart failure, or myocardial infarction, without any apparent increase in risk of cancer, venous thromboembolism, or stroke."

Cardiovasc Res. 2006 Mar 1;69(4):777-80.

"There is an abundance of scientific evidence for the protective effect of estrogen against atherosclerosis, such as short-term vasodilating effects as well as long-term vascular protective and anti-atherosclerotic effects [2]. Epidemiological evidence shows that pre-menopausal women have a reduced risk for mortality from cardiovascular diseases [3] and that women are at a lower risk for the development of heart failure [4] and have enhanced cognitive function and reduced neurodegeneration associated with Alzheimer's disease and stroke [5]. Further proof for the protective effect of female gender is the fact that post-menopausal women have a similar or even increased risk for cardiovascular disease compared to men [3] and have an increased risk for adverse outcome after myocardial infarction and acute coronary syndromes, despite similar treatment with thrombolysis and percutaneous interventions [6]. It was therefore postulated that estrogen replacement would be beneficial in preventing cardiovascular diseases in post-menopausal females."

"The cardioprotective effect of estrogen is further supported by the findings that ovariectomy caused a loss of cardioprotection, which was regained by chronic estrogen replacement therapy."

"The vascular protective effects of estrogen and their mechanisms are thus fairly well-established."

Volume 64, Number 1
OBSTETRICAL AND GYNECOLOGICAL SURVEY

"Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) studies, in postmenopausal women, demonstrate that it is declining estrogen levels, as opposed to other aspects of aging, that are associated with undesirable skin changes that accompany aging (9)."

"Declines in estrogen in menopause are clearly associated with the thinning of the skin observed as women age. The direct effects of estrogen with regard to skin thickness are confirmed by the observation that estrogen replacement in menopause is consistently associated with a thickening of the skin. HRT has achieved increases in skin thickness of up to 15% (20)."

"The age-associated decline in estrogen is accompanied by drier skin as the water-holding capacity is reduced (20)."

"Estrogen in replacement therapy both prevents collagen loss and stimulates increases in collagen production. A large number of studies have demonstrated an increase, with HRT, of skin thickness associated with higher skin collagen content. Increases in skin collagen as high as 5.1% have been demonstrated with exogenous estrogen through HRT, with increases in dermal collagen as high as 6.5% (20)."

"At the menopause, a rapid decrease in skin elasticity begins (4,14), and this can be slowed or reversed with estrogen replacement therapy (4). Prevention of elasticity loss has also been reported with the use of HRT (14)."

"The consequences of estrogen deficit after menopause include increased wrinkling."

Maturitas. 2012 Mar;71(3):248-56.

"Estradiol stimulates the activity of lipoprotein lipase
(LPL) in femoral adipocytes and lipolysis in abdominal adipocytes
[35], thereby promoting accumulation of gluteo-femoral fat. On
the other hand, estrogen deficiency is associated with enhanced
accumulation of abdominal fat [35]."

"HRT actually lowers weight gain and body fat [76,80,81].
In addition, HRT prevents the shift in fat deposition from the normal
female condition to the more unhealthy central fat depots associated
with the menopausal transition (Fig. 5) [76,82,83]."

"treatment of postmenopausal
women with estrogen enhances LPL activity in the
femoral region and at the same time lipolysis in the abdominal
region, which might promote fat accumulation in the former region
and fat loss from the abdomen [84]."

Int J Pharm Compd. 2013 Jan-Feb;17(1):74-85.

"Administration of compounded transdermal bioidentical hormone therapy in doses targeted to physiologic reference ranges administered in a daily dose significantly relieved menopausal symptoms in peri/postmenopausal women. Cardiovascular biomarkers, inflammatory factors, immune signaling factors, and health outcomes were favorably impacted, despite very high life stress, and home and work strain in study subjects. The therapy did not adversely alter the net prothrombotic potential, and there were no associated adverse events. This model of care warrants consideration as an effective and safe clinical therapy for peri/postmenopausal women especially in populations with high perceived stress and a history of stressful life events prior to, or during the menopausal transition."

Pathol Oncol Res. 2012 Apr;18(2):123-33.

"Insulin resistance and estrogen deficiency are concomitant disorders with mutual interrelationship. Insulin resistance and the compensatory hyperinsulinemia provoke increased androgen synthesis at the expense of decreased estrogen production. Similarly, a moderate or severe decrease in serum estrogen levels enhances the prevalence of insulin resistant states both in men and women. Healthy premenopausal women enjoy the defensive effect of estrogens against metabolic and hormonal disorders. However, even a slight decrease in their circulatory estrogen levels associated with insulin resistance may increase the risk for cancers, particularly in the organs having high estrogen demand (breast, endometrium and ovary). On the other hand, postmenopausal state with profound estrogen deficiency confers high risk for cancers in different organs with either high or moderate estrogen demand. After menopause, hormone replacement therapy improves insulin sensitivity and decreases the enhanced inclination to malignancies in postmenopausal women."

Diabetologia
June 1997, Volume 40, Issue 7, pp 843-849

"Oestrogen replacement therapy is associated with a decreased risk of cardiovascular disease in postmenopausal women. Patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) have an increased cardiovascular risk."

"In a double blind randomized placebo controlled trial we assessed the effect of oral 17 β -estradiol during 6 weeks in 40 postmenopausal women with NIDDM."

"Oestrogen replacement therapy improves insulin sensitivity in liver, glycaemic control, lipoprotein profile and fibrinolysis in postmenopausal women with NIDDM."

J Lipid Res. 2006 Feb;47(2):349-55.

"This prospective pilot study of 18 men with androgen-independent prostate cancer receiving ADT measured effects of TDE on lipid and inflammatory CVD risk factors before and after 8 weeks of TDE. During treatment, estradiol levels rose 17-fold; total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and apolipoprotein B levels decreased. HDL2 cholesterol increased, with no changes in triglyceride or VLDL cholesterol levels. Dense LDL cholesterol decreased and LDL buoyancy increased in association with a decrease in HL activity. Highly sensitive C-reactive protein levels and other inflammatory markers did not worsen. Compared with ADT, short-term TDE therapy of prostate cancer improves lipid levels without deterioration of CVD-associated inflammatory markers and may, on longer-term follow-up, improve CVD and mortality rates."

TDE = transdermal estradiol
ADT = androgen deprivation therapy

Atherosclerosis. 2003 May;168(1):123-9.

"Both oral and transdermal E2 significantly reduced fasting glucose."
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Paula1

Thanks honeybun.

Yep Fosamax is c**p.

Take care

Hugs

Paula

Quote from: KayXo on March 22, 2016, 07:44:13 AM

•  

Paula1

No problems hun.

It's making some light reading for me before I head off to sunny Spain ...  8)

A CIS friend of mine was on HRT to about 15 years ago when she reached 65 and developed a rash. Her stupid GP without referring her to an endocrinologist told her to come off it.

Result:

1) Within 6 months she aged 10 years. Before she looked 55 despite being 65.

2) She has had major heart problems

3) She has since had two knee joint replacements and it's still not right.

4) She looks her 80 now which is so sad and uses a walker.

I am 71 in July and nobody in various motor clubs that I am a member of, believes it. They think that I am in my mid 50's which is kinda nice. Sounds big headed, but guys still 'Hit' on me, some quite young ...  ;)

I walk 3-4 miles at a fast pace most days and swim many lengths.

I have more energy now than I have had for years since I went on to transdermal hormones -- Sandrena Gel which the UK's Dr Leighton-Seal prescribes to most or all his TG patients, pre or post op.

But as you say, we are all different and every person's case varies.

Take care

Hugs

Paula

Quote from: deeiche on March 22, 2016, 05:21:43 PM
Sorry Paula for hijacking your thread but this is an important topic.

I have estrogen in my body, adrenal glands also produce estrogen.  Once again, I will state, my recent endo workup shows I have post-menopause hormone levels.  My bone density is okay, I'm healthy, my docs acknowledge that.  This is after 30 years post SRS with no HRT.

I'd love to read a long term double blind study regarding HRT vs no HRT post SRS in transwomen?
  •  

deeiche

Paula

Sorry for the distraction, but at least you found some "light" reading to help you sleep.

A lot of HRT studies supporting HRT have been posted, that is fine.  Me I don't mind aging, it is a normal part of life.

Only a small percentage of post-menopausal cis women take HRT, why should all transwomen continue HRT their entire life?  Yes, adrenal produce a small amount of estrogen, that is not a bad thing, it's normal.

I deplore being dependent on any drug so I can "live".  Having this conversation regarding HRT is a good thing. I see so many early transitioners freakout when they miss some HRT, like they are going to die if they miss any dosages.

I have questioned a lot of paradigms over the year, not taking HRT is only one of them.

When people are willing to look at the other side, they learn something.  I just don't understand people who are unwilling to even look at things from a different perspective.  That one sided view becomes dogmatic.
  •  

KayXo

Quote from: deeiche on March 23, 2016, 08:05:10 AM
Me I don't mind aging, it is a normal part of life.

Do you mind aging slower?

QuoteOnly a small percentage of post-menopausal cis women take HRT, why should all transwomen continue HRT their entire life?

A small percentage of ciswomen take them because of the unfounded fears and ignorance that surrounds HRT. It's unfortunate.

QuoteYes, adrenal produce a small amount of estrogen, that is not a bad thing, it's normal.

Not saying it's bad. It's just very little.

QuoteI deplore being dependent on any drug so I can "live".

Aren't you dependent on food, water, money, people, health? We cannot escape dependency. Only after death or if we stop caring about (detach ourselves from) the material world and by material, I mean body and mind too.

QuoteI have questioned a lot of paradigms over the year, not taking HRT is only one of them.

When people are willing to look at the other side, they learn something.  I just don't understand people who are unwilling to even look at things from a different perspective.  That one sided view becomes dogmatic.

I only see harm and disadvantages from not taking bio-identical HRT. I've studied thoroughly this matter for 10 yrs + and have yet to find one good reason for stopping it after a certain age. I think it is important to question and be open-minded at all times. Most definitely agree with you but, like I said, I tried looking the other way and there was no reason to continue looking that way, the other side looked much more promising. :)

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Celia0428

Quote from: Paula1 on March 15, 2016, 05:54:55 PM
If any complication were to arise during or after the surgery, a Cardiology Unit is required to respond to the need for any interventions.  This type of medical unit, which is only required for "Third Level" public or private health centers according to the health legislation of Spain, is therefore not available within our current hospital.  For this reason, our team informs you that it would be necessary, in the event of complications, to transfer your care (via the appropriate medical transportation system) to said Cardiology Unit within the nearby Quirón Hospital of Marbella.

Given the complexity of your case due to the peculiarities of the underlying pathology, it is our ethical and professional obligation to offer alternative solutions that guarantee security and stability throughout the surgical procedure and post-anesthetic period. 
I've seen very good results from Facial Team and the reviews from their patients couldn't be more positive, but I am surprised that they don't perform FFS at a "third level" hospital with ICU or cardiology unit routinely. I thought they did. I wonder if it is safe enough to perform complex and long surgeries like FFS in less equipped hospitals -even if the patient were in apparent good health?
I must say I haven't got any bad news from Facial team, but it is known that other FFS surgeons lost patients while trying to resuscitate them in the way to a better equipped hospital.
  •  

Paula1

Thanks Celia0428 ... Just what I needed 13 days before surgery ... A positive !!!

I am fully aware of the risks having had surgery in all sorts of clinics, hospitals etc.

Quote from: Celia0428 on March 23, 2016, 10:54:34 AM
I've seen very good results from Facial Team and the reviews from their patients couldn't be more positive, but I am surprised that they don't perform FFS at a "third level" hospital with ICU or cardiology unit routinely. I thought they did. I wonder if it is safe enough to perform complex and long surgeries like FFS in less equipped hospitals -even if the patient were in apparent good health?
I must say I haven't got any bad news from Facial team, but it is known that other FFS surgeons lost patients while trying to resuscitate them in the way to a better equipped hospital.
  •  

Paula1

After sleeping on it and I am sure you meant well Celia0428, here is the full pre-op info that I received from FT which is in my post #52 dated March 15th.

I don't feel that they could give me any better care other than operate at the nearby Quiron Hospital.

The day before my surgery they carry out all the normal pre-op checks such as an ECG ( you have to fast the night before ) and if all is OK, they clear you for surgery.

If I die in surgery or just after for whatever reason, I have had a great life, been transitioned for 28 years and had a ball overall despite the tough times that we all have.

So please anyone, no more negatives as I need now to relax before I head off to Spain next Thursday.

Just wish me luck please, that's all I ask.

Have a great Easter.

Paula

After careful evaluation of your medical history by our Anesthesiology Unit, the case has been classified as high surgical risk (ASA III-IV) due to the presence of a dilation of 4.6 cm at the level of the ascending aorta. This implies the need for a number of specific personnel and infrastructural measures in case of any post surgical complication or issue associated with the given heart condition.

The stated preventive measures would include the presence of two anesthesiologists during your surgery, an on-call cardiologist/chest surgeon, as well as an intensive care doctor for the initial hours after your surgery. If any complication were to arise during or after the surgery, a Cardiology Unit is required to respond to the need for any interventions.  This type of medical unit, which is only required for "Third Level" public or private health centers according to the health legislation of Spain, is therefore not available within our current hospital.  For this reason, our team informs you that it would be necessary, in the event of complications, to transfer your care (via the appropriate medical transportation system) to said Cardiology Unit within the nearby Quirón Hospital of Marbella.

Given the complexity of your case due to the peculiarities of the underlying pathology, it is our ethical and professional obligation to offer alternative solutions that guarantee security and stability throughout the surgical procedure and post-anesthetic period. 

We want you to understand that this measure requires substantial modifications to our normal work routine and therefore involves the mobilization of a number of extraordinary resources. However, we perceive this to be part of our obligation and duty to ensure greater safety in the treatment plan proposed to you.
  •  

deeiche

Paula

I wish you the best in your surgery.

•  

KayXo

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Paula1

Thanks honeybun ...  :)

My forehead and nose hopefully will be better than they are at present but what I like about Dr Capitan, Dr Simon and Dr Bellinga is that right from the outset, they said we will do as good as job as we can on you but it cannot possibly be as good as if we had done all your procedures originally.

There was no bull***t, telling me what I wanted to hear, you all know what I mean.

There was no salesmanship, just the plain honest truth.

This is what impresssed me most about their whole business/professional ethic.

As far as the paperwork pre-operatively is concerned, it's been pretty well faultless too.

I can safely say that in all the dealings that I have had with many surgeons since 1989 both here in the UK and "Across the Pond", they have done more for me already than any of the others.

Shame they were not around in 2004 but we can say that about many things in life.

So I am just counting down the days to when I depart the UK to hang out around the pool in the complex where I am staying.

Today I sat out on the patio where I live and the temperature on my thermometer directly in the sun read 80F and I thought to myself, it's going to be even warmer in seven days time ...  8)

But I will take with me high factor sunblock and a hat so I don't get my nose sunburnt otherwise I very much doubt Dr Bellinga will operate on it  .....  :o

Tomorrow here in the UK we will be having gales and guess what    ...... RAIN ......  ;D

One thing about our English weather is that you can hardly call it predictable ... ;)

Quote from: deeiche on March 25, 2016, 06:18:21 AM
Paula

I wish you the best in your surgery.
  •  

Celia0428

Quote from: Paula1 on March 24, 2016, 03:42:54 PM
Thanks Celia0428 ... Just what I needed 13 days before surgery ... A positive !!!
Sorry Paula, I didn't mean to be rude or sound like a bad omen, I just wanted to make a general comment about some aspect of their practice that I didn't expect to be like you wrote it was. You have been so optimistic and confident about those surgeons and promoted them with such enthusiasm that I didn't even think my comment could affect you in any way. I now realize that I should have had more tact. My apologies then, and I wish you the best of luck.
  •  

Paula1

Hi Celia,

No offence taken and thank you for your sweet reply/apology.

I do have every confidence in Facial Team after seeing many of their post-op patients and my meetings with the surgeons both here in London twice now and once in Spain.

Your reply did remind me of the risks but I feel there is more chance of my breaking something in my body here at home than having a few hours of surgery with experts in their field.

Afterall they have performed many procedures now ( over 800, I gather) whereas I was one of the early patients with my first surgeon. I discount Simon Eccles work here in London.

Like anyone else on here, we listen to other members experiences, ask questions and go and see various surgeons before making the final decision on who is going to cut up one's face.

I shortlisted my choice to two surgeons:

1) Dr DiMaggio in Argentina
2) Facial Team ( Dr Capitan and Dr Simon + Dr Bellinga for soft tissue ).

It was a question of either or and because I liked what I saw with FT and the fact that Buenos Aires is so far way from the UK, I went with FT.

Depending on how I get on and how my English friend get's on with her face lift which Dr Bellinga is performing on Tuesday ( she flies out from the UK today - Easter Sunday), we have a friend in the USA who will probably fly over from the USA next year and have a face/neck lift with FT too.

My plan is also to have one in 2-3 years time with them.

A lot of USA girls are coming to Europe ( Spain & Belgium) for FFS just now because of the good prices and excellent results.

By the way, my heart goes out to all the poor people who died in Belgium earlier in the week. May they Rest in Peace. We live in a very dangerous world nowadays ....  :(

Anyway Celia thank you for your good wishes and enjoy the rest of Easter.

Take care

Hugs

Paula

Quote from: Celia0428 on March 26, 2016, 07:24:43 PM
Sorry Paula, I didn't mean to be rude or sound like a bad omen, I just wanted to make a general comment about some aspect of their practice that I didn't expect to be like you wrote it was. You have been so optimistic and confident about those surgeons and promoted them with such enthusiasm that I didn't even think my comment could affect you in any way. I now realize that I should have had more tact. My apologies then, and I wish you the best of luck.
  •  

Paula1

Gee I am glad I am not flying to Malaga today.

106mph winds recorded on the Isle of Wight and many bumpy landings as well as diversions/cancellations at London's Gatwick Airport ....  :o

I did not get a lot of sleep and apparently there are fallen trees everywhere down south in the UK.

My friend flew out last night from there and the flight was delayed for an hour due to the French Air Traffic Controllers strike/go slow.

She arrived at the complex at 2.00am in Marbella which we are sharing, managed five hours sleep and has her pre-op tests this morning.

Her surgery with Dr Bellinga is tomorrow.
  •