Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Anyone here shift between feeling male and female?

Started by MichelleT, September 27, 2007, 10:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyrenth

Quote from: Virginia on December 31, 2010, 08:38:16 AM
If it's any reassurance, I have friends at bigender.net, bioF's and bioM's, who quite successfully present as both male and female to the people in their lives. Personally, I am only out to my wife, son and the medical professionals who treat me- I do not present as both genders to anyone. I see my girl self as another hat I wear much the same as I am husband, son, father and friend but not more than one to many of the people in my life.

But I am bigender, not multiple or transsexual; my girl self is a persona, not a separate personality or any more who I am than my guy self. I don't see myself as a part time girl or a part time guy.  It's not important to me to build a new "female life." I am comfortable as a guy or a girl and don't prefer one over the other. I need to express my female self in the life I already have so I am able to explore the advantages and disadvantages of each of my genders. It's not quite as bad as Dustin Hoffman made it seem in Toostie, but I will admit it does take some gymnastics.

This whole thread is fascinating, but this bit - especially the bit about people who are able to pass successfully as both - really made me smile. Yay, hope. (And I appreciate the clarification on not all bigendered people being multiple - I was worried I'd got it wrong after Marq and Mia's post!)
I'll probably come back and re-read and respond to more specific posts when I'm less tired and busy, but for now I'll just add my tuppen'orth...
I definitely switch in how I identify, but it's between more than two genders. Masculine, feminine, neutral, and genderblender. I currently lean closer towards masculine/neutral than the other two, but I don't think it will always be like this.
  •  

Pica Pica

I was more of a shifter before but I seem to have marked out my area and ebb and flow within it.
It's taken a while to get here however, and my earlier posts probably reveal more dramatic shifts.
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •  

insideontheoutside

Quote from: Xyrenth on January 27, 2011, 04:54:20 PM
This whole thread is fascinating, but this bit - especially the bit about people who are able to pass successfully as both - really made me smile. Yay, hope. (And I appreciate the clarification on not all bigendered people being multiple - I was worried I'd got it wrong after Marq and Mia's post!)
I'll probably come back and re-read and respond to more specific posts when I'm less tired and busy, but for now I'll just add my tuppen'orth...
I definitely switch in how I identify, but it's between more than two genders. Masculine, feminine, neutral, and genderblender. I currently lean closer towards masculine/neutral than the other two, but I don't think it will always be like this.

I can pass successfully as both (or rather, either) and do so all the time ... but the constant is that I'm rarely ever "acting" in my day to day life ... I'm just being myself and it's other people who are perceiving me a certain way for whatever their own reasons for doing so are.
"Let's conspire to ignite all the souls that would die just to feel alive."
  •  

Padma

I experience myself as both at the same time. And it's taken me a long time to accept that this is what I'm really feeling, because there's so much pressure to be one-or-the-other - or neither. I just feel like there are two versions of me in me, and one is a man and the other a woman, and sometimes one is a bit louder than the other(!) but I'm not so much switching between them as paying more attention to one and then the other sometimes, but mostly they're both just there.

I've yet to meet anyone who says "Oh snap, me too!" about this, but it's early days ;).

I spent a lot of painful time in my earlier years thinking I was going to have to choose one and stick with it. Now I'm getting them to make friends, we're in this together. And if there's one thing I've learned through talking about this with folk, it's that everyone's got something different going on, even when they use the same labels. It's good to be here, listening to all the different variations on the theme, and not feeling like I'm a dischord for a change.
Womandrogyneâ„¢
  •  

f1r3wire

I found this discussion really fascinating, I do know a few people who's gender fluctuates. I only know one person who's truly bigendered and switches between male and female, most of the people I know with fluctuating gender tend to be very genderfluid and has more states than just male male/or female. I feel quite a kinship with people like this as my gender also fluctuates but I don't do male, just somewhere in between to female really.
  •