Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

When is it time to change my name?

Started by Jessika, January 06, 2016, 01:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessika

Hi all,
I was wondering...
How will I know when to go to the Courthouse and request my name change?

How will I know I am ready?

How did you all know when you were ready? (For those who have done it)

Concerns:
Don't do it until you pass?
Don't do it until your Voice passes?
Don't do it until you have been Fulltime for a year?

Gasp!
My Fantasy is having Two Men at once...

One Cooking, One Cleaning.  ;D 

•  

kitty

I went through the process of getting my name changed after I had been on hormones for about a year and presenting as female for quite some time.

I just knew I was ready because my appearance began to match how I felt inside and being called by my given name was just starting to get really frustrating.
  •  

Jessie Ann

I did it once I knew I was sure I was going to transition.  I started HRT at the beginning of March 2015 and filled my name and gender change paperwork with the court in the middle of April 2015.  My petition was granted at the end of May 2015 and I was full time a couple of weeks later.  I didn't worry about the concerns you mentioned.

It really comes down to you and your feelings.  Once you do it you will need to update your state issued ID as some states require you to update your information within 30 days of the change.  So you will need to keep that in mind because it will require you to notify a lot of other entities also.  Good luck girl!
  •  

iKate

I would have done mine earlier on but I needed to travel for surgery and didn't want to deal with getting a new passport. So I waited until I got back. At work my name was changed in everything except payroll until I got the court order and social security changed. Everywhere else it was a bit interesting. I carried around a male ID with a male picture for a while. I then got my gender marker changed because I was getting carded a lot and it was outing me left and right. Thankfully my old name can pass as a girl's name. Then when I got the court order I changed my name on my driver license, social security and then bank accounts, credit card etc. 
  •  

itsApril

Quote from: Jessika on January 06, 2016, 01:37:40 PM
Hi all,
I was wondering...
How will I know when to go to the Courthouse and request my name change?

How will I know I am ready?

Gasp!

As you go through the process of gender transition, you begin to run into problems as manifestations of your emerging gender identity (presentation, hairstyle, dress, facial features, makeup, etc.) come into increasing conflict with your name, your documents, your drivers license and passport, your work and business relationships, etc.  At first, these conflicts are small and avoidable or manageable.  But they grow until it becomes difficult to do routine things like travel, or cash a check at your bank, or pick up a prescription at the pharmacy.

When you reach that point, the problems of the gender dissonance have come to outweigh benefits of continuity with your old gender identity.  You may find yourself in a very uncomfortable position, like trying to explain to a cop (who stopped you because the tail light on your car has burned out?) why he should believe that you are really the owner of your car when the registration is in your guy name and you look nothing like the picture on your drivers license.  At that point, it's clear that you waited too long to change your name.

Here's the problem.  While it's easy to know when you waited too long, it's a lot harder to know when it's too soon.  The problems build up a little at a time.  And continuity with your old identity has its conveniences and its advantages.

I guess it would be too soon to make the change if you're still unsure you want to make the transition.  And it would be too soon if your transition is just beginning (for instance, if an m to f person is still presenting as male for work and business purposes and you have not yet experienced any noticeable changes in appearance from HRT).

So that's how it is.  Difficult to know when it stops being too soon, but easy to tell when you've waited too long.

Here's a suggestion for something useful in the transition.  Have a therapist or doctor write you a one-page "To Whom It May Concern" letter stating that you are under the Doc's care for gender identity issues, that you are in transition from [old name] to [new name] and the cooperation of the reader will be appreciated.  Then carry that letter with you.  A letter like that can be very helpful in convincing a bank manager to allow you access to your own bank account, even though you walked in with long hair and makeup and wearing a dress.
-April
  •  

Mariah

The key is to make the change when your comfortable. For me that was not that long after going full time. The therapist and doctors were completely okay with it. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •