News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Does God Exist?

Started by autumn08, January 13, 2016, 06:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ritana

Quote from: stephaniec on January 16, 2016, 01:35:02 AM
standing on a planet in absolute nothingness enjoying delicious food and a warm sun instead of not having any existence except as as atom speeding along waiting to crash into another atom A law that gives us a platform to live on. You may not see that as God , but I do.

What if ut's freezing and there's no hot food!?
A post-op woman
  •  

stephaniec

Quote from: Ritana on January 16, 2016, 05:40:06 AM

What if ut's freezing and there's no hot food!?
I'm guessing that if you got yourself in that predicament you should of thought ahead of time.
  •  

Ritana

You might be right, but that's not the point we are discussing. What I should or should not have done is irrelevant. You defined God as being something. I said what if that thing -that defines gid- DOES NOT exisit, it is NOT there. You turned around and said you should've... It's a definition we are talking about, NOT what one should or shouldn't have done.

SO what if I never got myself into that predicament; that -for the sake of example- I lived in a poor cold country with no social security or benefits. I get run over- in the middle of nowhere- by someone who runs away. I am alone, paralysed, it's freezing and your hot food is not here?

According to your above definition of God, God does not exit. To me, it does not sound like a good definition, love.
A post-op woman
  •  

stephaniec

life and death have been played out on the planet for millions of years. Life is the way it is to me God exists to you God doesn't exist I suppose. I attribute my existence and all that encompasses to existence of God as a fundamental component of the reality of being and others don't, it's their choice. Existence has such an innate beauty that I can't comprehend that beauty coming from any other place other than God. Totally just my understanding of the universe and others can freely disagree,
  •  

Deborah

Or to frame that argument in another way.  What if I had been born feeling that my mind didn't match my body.  This is highly distressing to me and all around is the message that Jesus is the answer.  So I pray and ask for my body to change and . . . Nothing.  Then, just in case he disapproves of that, I ask for my mind to be changed and . . . Nothing.  So, maybe I'm not praying hard enough so I repeat that nightly for 40 years.  I pray over 14,000 times for Jesus to save and . . . Nothing.

So, what am I to conclude about a theistic God then?

If he is in fact powerless to actually do anything then he is in fact NOT God.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Ritana

Quote from: stephaniec on January 16, 2016, 07:56:37 AM
life and death have been played out on the planet for millions of years. Life is the way it is to me God exists to you God doesn't exist I suppose. I attribute my existence and all that encompasses to existence of God as a fundamental component of the reality of being and others don't, it's their choice. Existence has such an innate beauty that I can't comprehend that beauty coming from any other place other than God. Totally just my understanding of the universe and others can freely disagree,

I am sorry, but it doesn't seem kike you read my reply properly.
A post-op woman
  •  

stephaniec

so if one is born blind is that proof there must not be a God or if you died immediately after birth or in the womb and only had life for minutes or hours therefore God doesn't exist.
  •  

Colleen M

Quote from: stephaniec on January 16, 2016, 08:10:47 AM
so if one is born blind is that proof there must not be a God or if you died immediately after birth or in the womb and only had life for minutes or hours therefore God doesn't exist.

It's as true as the reciprocal argument. 
When in doubt, ignore the moral judgments of anybody who engages in cannibalism.
  •  

cathyrains

Does gender identity exist?
Exceptions to the norm do not constitute a spectrum.
  •  

Deborah

Why do we say this physical world and universe is beauty?  Is it really that?  How do we define this beauty that we attribute to existence.  Is it just the colors we see?  How do we know that's beauty when we are incapable of seeing anything else?

My experience informs me that this existence is not beauty at all.  It is rather cruel and unfeeling.  It is a reality where you kill to eat, where nature erases you without a second thought with lightening, tsunamis, fire, wind, etc.  it is a reality where people in the name of their religion, or nationality, or politics, or just for fun line other people up in ditches and shoot them in the head.

Why do we call this physical existence beauty?

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

stephaniec

in my personal perception I see beauty all over. The concept of the atom and the electrons spinning them to me is incredibly beautiful. To me mathematics is intensely beautiful . This might not be true in others perception , but for me it is extremely true. The concept of the infinite void is mind  bogglingly   beautiful.
  •  

Stevie

Quote from: Deborah on January 16, 2016, 09:05:01 AM
Why do we say this physical world and universe is beauty?  Is it really that?  How do we define this beauty that we attribute to existence.  Is it just the colors we see?  How do we know that's beauty when we are incapable of seeing anything else?

My experience informs me that this existence is not beauty at all.  It is rather cruel and unfeeling.  It is a reality where you kill to eat, where nature erases you without a second thought with lightening, tsunamis, fire, wind, etc.  it is a reality where people in the name of their religion, or nationality, or politics, or just for fun line other people up in ditches and shoot them in the head.

Why do we call this physical existence beauty?

We have freewill it is our choice to make a beautiful world or not. People can create things of great beauty and act in a benevolent compassionate way or they can commit great atrocity's and sow chaos it is our choice. 
   Myself I really don't care if there a is god, if he does exist they are not involved in the minutia of the human existence. I was raised Roman Catholic but I stopped believing in religion in the 2nd grade due to a member of the clergy's molestation. It was a man that did that to me and god did not intervene on my behalf no matter how much I prayed.
What I did take away from the bible was if Adam and Eve did exist and ate the apple they chose knowledge and freewill over being controlled by a god.  Religion is based on giving control of your life to something other than yourself, some people may find comfort in that I don't. If your life sucks god did not do that, you and possibly other people are responsible for that and no amount of groveling and praying is going to change it. It requires action from you to exercise your freewill and try to change the situation into something that you find more agreeable.
  •  

stephaniec

yes, God seems to get the blame for all of human trials and tribulations . God gave us a platform to exist and freedom to structure our lives. We have the ability  to fulfill the potential of human existence. We were given everything needed to survive in absolute nothingness, How much do you want. I believe we have the tools to go beyond our wildest dreams without any intervention because the intervention was given at the time of our beginning. You have the free will to believe or not to believe how beautiful is that.
  •  

Sebby Michelango

Quote from: autumn08 on January 13, 2016, 06:20:35 PM
1) Does God exist?

2) Why, or why not?

1) I don't believe at any gods or any afterlife. I'm a atheist.

2) It sounds very supernatural and unrealistic. The idea doesn't match with the science. I rather being a atheist than a person who believe at a evil god. Gods are very unrealistic and it sounds like something from a fantasy book. There aren't any logic where a evil man-similar creature sitting in a cloud and created everything, a "person" who enjoy watching the humanity suffering.

3th point) I don't like any religion, even they have a few wise quotes and stories. Many things in religion are horrible and very gruesome. Especially when people use religion in war, abuse it and says how people should live. There are some terrifying rules in religion and it's very violence too. Islam, Judaism and Christianity are some religion that are against homosexual, women and transgender's rights. They do also discriminate against each other and other groups. Many of the religions values are so terrible and religion are so unrealistic with missing logic, therefor I have another reason why I'm atheist. After becoming a atheist, I lived a happier life.

A funny fact: According to a religious book God killed at least more than 2 476 633 people, but the devil killed only 10 people. God gave naughty people and non-believers punishments. He also made Satan and absolute everything in the whole world; whole universe, everything. In the story about Noah's ark, God killed many people or "sinners" that he called them, because he wasn't happy about their evilness. But in fact, he gave the humans the free will according to the books.
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: autumn08 on January 13, 2016, 06:20:35 PM
1) Does God exist?

2) Why, or why not?
1. Can't really answer one way or another without a definition.  So, first, a definition: "God" refers to the putative creator of the universe.  Then, to answer the question, no, such an entity does not exist.

2. Anything that exists does so as a result of causes and conditions.  The concept of God is put forward as the ultimate cause for everything else.  But that implies that God exists without cause.  But nothing exists without cause, therefore God does not exist.

This implies that the universe has always existed since beginningless time.  As a Buddhist, I do not have a problem with that.  The Big Bang - the beginning of what scientists can observe - is, in this view, just the beginning of the lastest cycle in an unending series of cycles.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

stephaniec

•  

Serverlan

Quote from: stephaniec on January 16, 2016, 10:24:18 AM
You have the free will to believe or not to believe how beautiful is that.

Except that we don't have free will.
  •  

diane 2606

Quote from: Serverlan on January 17, 2016, 10:20:26 PM

Those with a Roman Catholic background, like me, throw that "free will" meme around. It's easy to blow it off as Papist propaganda, but actually you can choose whether to buy into the religions BS, or think it through and make your own decision, which could go either way.
"Old age ain't no place for sissies." — Bette Davis
Social expectations are not the boss of me.
  •  

Serverlan

Quote from: diane 2606 on January 17, 2016, 10:49:12 PM
Those with a Roman Catholic background, like me, throw that "free will" meme around. It's easy to blow it off as Papist propaganda, but actually you can choose whether to buy into the religions BS, or think it through and make your own decision, which could go either way.

Mm, it is easy to perceive such "choices" as free will.
  •  

Stevie

Quote from: Serverlan on January 17, 2016, 10:20:26 PM

Why is it you feel you do not have freewill? You can choose what actions to take in your life, you can not be certain of the outcome and there are finite amount of choices, but it is still your choice to make.  I do not buy into the idea of fate, some outcomes are inevitable for example we are all going to die at some point. That does not mean I am going give up on living.
  •