Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

naturally lowering your voice pre-t

Started by jordmungand, January 16, 2016, 02:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordmungand

i'm not sure if this actually works, and i would love confirmation

but i saw a youtube tutorial a while ago that has the guy show how he lowered his voice naturally while still pre-t
he said to yawn every morning, stretch your neck, don't wear binders as much and to actively try to lower your pitch every time you talk. (he said the binder would make you sound breathy)
i'm not entirely sure if that works since i'm still trying to work on it and i'm so forgetful sometimes i forget to force my voice lower.

also not sure if there are health risks for your throat/voice while doing this, but i assume there's not really that much of a risk since the guy seemed healthy.

any guys who did something similar and works?
help confirm/deny?

thanks =)
-jordy
jordan | 17 | pre-everything | came out on facebook (march 6th, 2016)
  •  

Tyran

I haven't tried that specifically but I've tried different vocal exercise (tilting you head back so your vocal chords are forced to be more taught and saying 'ding dong king kong bing bong' in a low tone which can help stretch your vocal chords and therefore lower your voice) which have made some what of a difference for me. You have to be careful though as you don't want to cause damage.
  •  

Dena

The most effective and quickest way for you to lower your voice is to relax the muscles between your larynx and your jaw when you speak. Put your hand on your neck when you swallow and you will feel these muscles tense up. Relaxing them can product a sizable drop in your voice if you currently tense them when you speak. I went the other way and tensing these muscles is what we call our trained voice. Genetic women naturally tense these muscles when they speak and if you are still doing it. You can lower your voice in a few days by doing this.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

jordmungand

•  

Tristyn

^Awesome advice by Tyran and Dena.

I've practiced this the way you guys advised here in the past but I tend to get discouraged and give up because of lack of favorable reception of my voice to those who hear it and just assume me to really be female based solely off of my assigned name and gender.

I think this is tougher like that. I suppose if my name was masculine and my gender was assigned as male, then this problem would be more minimal. Much more minimal...
  •  

Tyran

Quote from: King Phoenix on January 23, 2016, 12:00:16 PM
^Awesome advice by Tyran and Dena.

I've practiced this the way you guys advised here in the past but I tend to get discouraged and give up because of lack of favorable reception of my voice to those who hear it and just assume me to really be female based solely off of my assigned name and gender.

I think this is tougher like that. I suppose if my name was masculine and my gender was assigned as male, then this problem would be more minimal. Much more minimal...

I can certainly relate to that. Appearance wise I can almost pass despite being pre T (thank Gods that I look like my Dad) but my voice is pretty much a dead giveaway.

That and my family calling me by my birth name.
Must have patience.
  •  

jordmungand

relatable as well, king and tyran.

i pass somewhat (pre-t right now), but like you two, my voice is also one of the factors that violently thrust other's opinion of me back to female and irritably convinced that i somehow might be lesbian (which i am not! i am a straight male.)
also, my given name isn't particularly helpful either. it's annoyingly female and i have a schoolmate that has the same name -- which doesn't help because she's is very clearly a she and very proudly a she.

a little off topic -- i look like my dad too! =) that is one of the things i am happy for coming from him.
you know, other than the fact that my father enjoys reminding me that as his daughter i should do this and that and wear this and that and have my hair like this and that. whoops sorry pops you have two sons--

my patience is wearing thin and i am super insecure about my voice. i fear to speak out lest i get misgendered and i have been told i speak higher when not talking to friends. i overall just stopped speaking in public, refusing to ask strangers to move a little, or tell the person next to me i'm getting off too so he doesn't have to shove my face in with his butt. i even sit through the entire trip of the bus instead of telling the driver to stop so i can get off because i just don't want to appear female in any way.

that is why i want to find a good way to lower my voice.
unfortunately, "passing comments" or "idle notices" shoot me down even before i try to fly.

hoping these exercises will make a difference, but i tend to tense up my muscles when talking to family members because i am not out and really don't want them to question if i'm "sick"...
  •