Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Transgended Music!

Started by stephanie_craxford, January 12, 2006, 05:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephanie_craxford

The topic here posted by Molly...
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,2024.0/topicseen.html

brings up an interesting point.  A line from the post states
Quotefeaturing hit songs by established artists that have been embraced by gay, bisexual and transgender audiences.

Based on this statement, apart from their entertainment value, what type of music do transgender people "embrace".  Judging by the Topic "Music A-Z" by Steven it's not that clear.

What do you think?

Steph
  •  

Kimberly

I think you are asking the wrong question. I think rather than "what type of music do transgender people "embrace"" it should be "what type of music do people "embrace""... and that should already be obvious (=
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: Kimberly on January 13, 2006, 06:54:38 AM
I think you are asking the wrong question. I think rather than "what type of music do transgender people "embrace"" it should be "what type of music do people "embrace""... and that should already be obvious (=

I agree but according to Sony they obviously think that we do embrace a certain type of artist or music, and I was wondering if there is any truth to this and what others felt. :)

Steph
  •  

Bdnewgirl

Would I buy a cd from a TG artist, yes to help support them. Would I like the music, don't know havn't heard it. I don't think that they can find one type  of music that all TG people will embrace.
The TG comunity supports each other very well. I think thats what they are banking on
  •  

Shelley

Given the diversity of age alone I think identifing one type of music wouldn't be possible.

Shelley
  •  

Chaunte

Maybe the question needs to be flipped.  What transgendered artists are being accepted by "Mainstream Society" ?

I know my daughter listens to two Japanese musicians who are crossdressers.  I'm sorry but the name escapes me, but I can find out and post it later.  (Just talked with my daughter.  They are  Mana and Meavi.)  The album* covers all show them in short skirts and (often) six inch platform heels.  I am using "he" because the artists adresses themselves as "he" while wearing female attire.

Chaunte

*I guess I am dating myself using the term "album." 
It also tidkled my funny-bone thinking of the compact disk having a true CD cover!   :icon_eyebrow: :icon_evil_laugh:
  •  

Kendall

I would like to see artists that are tg. How many TG musicians are out there that would never get a chance at any label unless there was one just specifically for it. I cant think of any label that being TG would help any, but would make your chance almost zero. Even someone with the best of talents. Would rather have a label that at least allows someone tg (gay or bisexual) to express their artistic music, without fear of having to hide gender or orientation, fear of discovery, or weakening of the music/lyrics (to go more along with mainstream norms). True you might say "well one should be judged on one's real talent and be able to get signed to a big label regardless of what orientation or gender one is", but I dont think this is that kind of idealistic world, and the rules arent applied that way ever. You would have to be a rare RuPaul or something like that, otherwise its a big minus (cya but no thanks, /slam).

From what I see on that current stuff by that company its the sort of youth mtv sound they are after. Looking over the stuff Logo lists on their music page its the club/hip hop sound they showcase atm.

The articles also mention it will use stuff from other Sony artists in the mainstream, so i think that is where the main popular non GLBT artists will come from. To see who is in Sony Music labes, you would have to go here
http://www.sonymusic.com/home.html

Their current top 10 of Logo Cable Channel is:

1  Hung Up
(Warner Brothers)
Madonna

2  You're Beautiful
(Atlantic)
James Blunt

3  Because of You
(RCA)
Kelly Clarkson

4  Be Without You
(Geffen)
Mary J. Blige

5  Check On It
(Columbia)
Beyonce

6  Dirty Little Secret
(Interscope)
All American Rejects

7  Don't Bother
(Epic)
Shakira

8  Precious
(Reprise)
Depeche Mode

9  My Humps
(Jive)
Black Eyed Peas

10  Stickwitu
(A&M)
PCD

New and now they have

Unwritten
(Epic)
Natasha Bedingfield

You Are My Sister
(Secretly Canadian)
Antony and the Johnsons

Stars and Boulevards
(Epic)
Augustana

Perfect
(K7)
Princess Superstar

Gotta Get Up From Here
(Atlantic)
Ellie Lawson

Lady Flash
(Columbia)
The Go! Team

Nth Degree
(Capitol)
Morningwood

Believe
(Astralwerks)
The Chemical Brothers

Love Will Take Over
(Gold 18 Records Inc)
Ari Gold

Love You Better
(God-Des/She)
God-des
  •  

Cassandra

Interesting. A label to capitilize on a label. Mmmmm.  :eusa_think:

Cassie
  •  

Shelley

Very clever Cassie  :)

Shelley
  •  

AB_Positive

Quote from: Chaunte on January 13, 2006, 09:16:03 PM
I know my daughter listens to two Japanese musicians who are crossdressers.  I'm sorry but the name escapes me, but I can find out and post it later.  (Just talked with my daughter.  They are  Mana and Meavi.)  The album* covers all show them in short skirts and (often) six inch platform heels.  I am using "he" because the artists adresses themselves as "he" while wearing female attire.

I was actually about to make a topic on this subject, I'm glad I searched first :)

Not sure about Meavi, but Mana is one of my favorite artists, having made two bands - Malize Mizer (better known) and Moi Dix Mois (current... lesser known). He goes by 'he' but he is a cross-dresser irl. He does, and will, go out in full makeup and feminine costume like his shows, simply because that's how he feels like dressing. Japan's social rules on TG are not quite so hard as here.

Also, although purely due to 'plotline' in the bands theme, Aya from Psycho le Cemu. Currently my strictly musical idol, as I'm learning to play guitar, and he's ridiculously good. Kinda 80's ish pop metal, but everyone in the band dresses like they're from a Final Fantasy game.

All of this is known as "Visual Kei" a style of music where visual message is as important as the musical message. Usually gothic metal or "Darkwave" (new wave meets industrial). Except Psycho le Cemu, who took a more lighthearted way about doing it.

... I'm kind of a fan, yes. Why do you ask? :D

images, if people are curious:

http://www.scape.sc/gallery.php?artist=3  for Mana

http://hana-kimi.net/aya/  only decent Aya pic I could find, with the lead singer DAISHI (yes, has to be capitalized for some reason)

If you're into any sort of metal I'd reccomend both bands. If not... probably won't be your thing. Anyone interested in Darkwave or Industrial should try out Schwarz Stein - they were on Mana's personal record label and the lead singer Kaya is also TG and I wish I looked like that, even after SRS. Sooo not fair :D

-AB+

edit: *sigh* I love it when I forget things.

YouTube? FULL of videos of these guys. Especially for PlC's musical range, check out both "Roman Hikou" and "Love is Dead". Interesting seeing a band go from full on pop to hard metal in the span of six months. :D

•  

Lori

Maybe since they want to put us in a box we should choose bands that are huge. If we pick off the wall stuff then "normal" people will tell their non transsexual friends " Omg, why are you listening to that...don't you know "those >-bleeped-< people" listen to that stuff? What is wrong with you?"

So I say we endorse U2, Aerosmith, Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson, Beyonce, and other popular cultural icons. If anything it will confuse the heck out of the straights and corporations. Let them scramble for something else to peg on us as being different.

•  

Refugee

Quote from: AB_Positive on November 30, 2006, 05:07:03 AM

If you're into any sort of metal I'd reccomend both bands. If not... probably won't be your thing. Anyone interested in Darkwave or Industrial should try out Schwarz Stein - they were on Mana's personal record label and the lead singer Kaya is also TG and I wish I looked like that, even after SRS. Sooo not fair :D

Schwarz Stein sounds interesting, a little like a video game sound track but still interesting.  Can't find anything on the other two.
  •  

Melissa

Quote from: Lori on November 30, 2006, 07:43:52 AM
Maybe since they want to put us in a box we should choose bands that are huge. If we pick off the wall stuff then "normal" people will tell their non transsexual friends " Omg, why are you listening to that...don't you know "those >-bleeped-< people" listen to that stuff? What is wrong with you?"

So I say we endorse U2, Aerosmith, Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson, Beyonce, and other popular cultural icons. If anything it will confuse the heck out of the straights and corporations. Let them scramble for something else to peg on us as being different.
:eusa_eh:  You assume that all non-TG people discriminate against us.  That's far from the truth.  Perhaps 30 years ago, but definitely not now.

Melissa
  •  

AB_Positive

Quote from: Refugee on November 30, 2006, 11:16:41 AM

Schwarz Stein sounds interesting, a little like a video game sound track but still interesting.  Can't find anything on the other two.

*deep breath*

Psycho le Cemu (noteworthy member for this discussion: Aya - pink hair):
   Why yes, I know how to do the dance in this vid, how did you guess?
umm... I didn't realize there was a PV I hadn't seen yet. Zuh?
Love Is Dead - their 'harder' faire...
  Roman Hikou. "Hi, we're a pop band"

Malice Mizer (band leader Mana, easy to find, he's the one in the dress):
  Again, I have this PV, except it's not THIS one. They did two?
Did you know "The Ring" was a japanese film first? :D
Beast of Blood. If you've heard of Mana, this is probably how. Twin Peaks references too ;)

Moi Dix Mois (same leader, although less overtly feminine, and much darker here):
  They don't have official PVs... just live DVDs
  probably their best song. Juka = <3 and I would kill for any version of Mana's "La Jeune Fille" (his guitar - an ESP custom)

there's a starting point. Don't forget Velvet Eden, Dir en Grey, and a host of others!

ok. I'm done now, seriously :D

-AB+
  •  

Refugee

Quote from: AB_Positive on November 30, 2006, 03:50:58 PM
Quote from: Refugee on November 30, 2006, 11:16:41 AM

*deep breath*

Psycho le Cemu (noteworthy member for this discussion: Aya - pink hair):

Nice, but is it just me or do they sound like a Nintendo cover band?

Malice Mizer (band leader Mana, easy to find, he's the one in the dress):

Did you know "The Ring" was a japanese film first? :D

Yeah, it was called Ringu though.  Off topic, but The Ring series is easily my favorite horror/thriller movie.

Better sound, more my "style"

Moi Dix Mois (same leader, although less overtly feminine, and much darker here):

probably their best song. Juka = <3 and I would kill for any version of Mana's "La Jeune Fille" (his guitar - an ESP custom)

A little too angry for my tastes at first, but it grew on me.

there's a starting point. Don't forget Velvet Eden, Dir en Grey, and a host of others!

Velvet Eden - Maze

Fell in love with this song in like the first three notes.  Dir en Grey on the other hand is still a little too angry for my tastes.

Though I did find Animal I've Become by Three Days Grace set to one of their videos.  That's more my style of anger, so maybe there's hope after all.   ;D
  •