Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Interesting fact about Iran: Iran accept transgenders

Started by Sebby Michelango, January 12, 2016, 12:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkWolf_7

I hadn't heard about this before so curious, I looked it up. I don't know if this is the documentary someone was referring to but nevertheless, shows both lesbians and gay men being pressured to transition despite not being actually transgendered:

I would imagine this would also make it hard for people who are actually trans* but also gay or lesbian (since Iran is using this as a way to "heterosexualize" people. I also wonder what they do about bisexual people because obviously is there no way to make them appear heterosexual (though perhaps it is easier for them to fake it in order to live safely than it is for homosexuals).

•  

Sebby Michelango

Thanks for all the replies. :) This is a interesting discussion. But I wondering what they do if a transgender person are gay. Do many transgenders get treatment in Iran too, or are there most homosexual people? How are the surgeries and are they good? I have heard in Iran they take all the surgeries. Its take everything or nothing, one size fits all treatment. They receive hormones and all the surgeries, that means they get bottom surgery too.
  •  

Janes Groove

Quote from: T.K.G.W. on January 13, 2016, 05:16:38 PM
Sex change operations were not around when the Koran was written and so cannot be a sin, although whether one should cut one's body [surgically] if it is not for the purpose of saving one's life is moot which is why some Muslims argue sex changes are haram

sex change operation?
1. i didn't know that was possible.
2. what is this? the 60s?
  •  

DanielleA

Reading about things like this topic are why I really don't like religion. It is sad that people take a book so literally and my bio mother was/is one of them. She ruined her relationships with all of her kids because the bible was law and was more important. It is good that some places treat trans people properly but at the risk of hurting another type of people isn't good. I was thinking, what happens to gender nonconforming people ( the ones who can't stick to a specific gender) in those countries???
  •  

itsApril

Quote from: DanielleA on January 20, 2016, 04:08:38 PM
. . . I was thinking, what happens to gender nonconforming people ( the ones who can't stick to a specific gender) in those countries???

You are exactly right.  Gender transition is difficult and stressful for those of us who undertake it by choice.  We have our own reasons why we do it that outweigh the hardships.  But imagine how horrifying it would be to have gender transition forced upon you against your will.  That's about the worst form of torture I can imagine.
-April
  •  

Kylo

Quote from: Jane Emily on January 20, 2016, 03:27:03 PM
sex change operation?
1. i didn't know that was possible.
2. what is this? the 60s?
Semantics. Looks like I forgot to say transgender surgery or something in case someone decided to make a sarcastic comment. Woe.

Quote from: Sebby Michelango on January 17, 2016, 07:33:52 AMBut I wondering what they do if a transgender person are gay.

if you're gay and keep it to yourself - i.e. don't have any gay sex or relationships - you're probably fine as a transgender (or cis person) as in any country. Otherwise, in Iran homosexual or lesbian relations are punishable by imprisonment, corporal punishment, and death. 
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Janes Groove

Quote from: T.K.G.W. on January 21, 2016, 03:37:31 PM
Semantics. Looks like I forgot to say transgender surgery or something in case someone decided to make a sarcastic comment. Woe.

if you're gay and keep it to yourself - i.e. don't have any gay sex or relationships - you're probably fine as a transgender (or cis person) as in any country. Otherwise, in Iran homosexual or lesbian relations are punishable by imprisonment, corporal punishment, and death.

i'm sorry. the word sex change must have just pushed my buttons.  i do standup too and sometimes i go too far.
  •  

XKimX

As I understand it, there is no "transition."  Gay men are picked up of of the streets and offered a stark choice:  be hanged on the gallows, or accept a sex change operation.  If the later choice is made, it takes place immediately.  No HRT, no RLE, etc.  And then you are thrown back on to the streets.  No aftercare, no HRT, even ex post facto.  It is basically a form of castration of homosexuals, but because of various Islamic interpretations, if you are a homosexual "bottom," you really are a woman, and therefore should have those front-door sexual organs and be treated liker the inferiors that other women are treated in Iran.
As others have said, it is not an acceptance of TG, it is resolving a perceived problem with homosexuals.  The Nazis had more or less the same policy, but without the choice.  It was just death for all of them.  So, as we can see, fundamental Shi'a religion is more humane than the Nazis.

Believe that?
  •  

Sebby Michelango

Quote from: XKimX on February 03, 2016, 03:39:37 AM
As I understand it, there is no "transition."  Gay men are picked up of of the streets and offered a stark choice:  be hanged on the gallows, or accept a sex change operation.  If the later choice is made, it takes place immediately.  No HRT, no RLE, etc.  And then you are thrown back on to the streets.  No aftercare, no HRT, even ex post facto.  It is basically a form of castration of homosexuals, but because of various Islamic interpretations, if you are a homosexual "bottom," you really are a woman, and therefore should have those front-door sexual organs and be treated liker the inferiors that other women are treated in Iran.
As others have said, it is not an acceptance of TG, it is resolving a perceived problem with homosexuals.  The Nazis had more or less the same policy, but without the choice.  It was just death for all of them.  So, as we can see, fundamental Shi'a religion is more humane than the Nazis.

Believe that?

As I understand it they get hrt, top and bottom surgery. They may pay something by their own pocket including something covered from the government. There aren't any real accepting of transgenders, but transgenders can get treatment. If the family and neighborhood isn't against a person transistion, I don't think it's so big problem for the transgender person. But when it comes to gays, it's a problem. They are often indirect forced to either change their gender/sex, so they can become more "straight" or they would be executed by the government.
  •