Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

New Recipe - farro salad

Started by Deborah, February 13, 2016, 09:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deborah

I tried something new this morning that turned out really good so I thought I'd share it.  I had it for breakfast but it would be really good at lunch or supper.  It's part of my quest to eat nothing processed.

1/4 cup dried farro boiled for 20 min.  I spiced it with salt, pepper, and Italian spices

In a bowl mix
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped tomato (I used six cherry tomatoes sliced in half
2 green onions chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

Drain the cooked farro and add it to the rest.  Then enjoy.

The nutritional content was:
336 calories, 45g carb, 15g fat, 8g protein, and 8g fiber.

I'd never heard of farro before I saw it in the store yesterday.  It's a pre-modern species of wheat that in this form is not processed at all.  The grains of wheat are cooked whole.  Cooked for 20 min it has a somewhat chewy texture.

Sapere Aude
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

kittenpower

I haven't heard of farro (is it like kasha?), but I do like whole grains, and the salad sounds tasty.
  •  

Deborah

I'd never heard of kasha so I looked it up.  It looks similar but it's a different wheat species.  So the taste may be different.

Sapere Aude
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •