Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Deedpoll options, UK

Started by Jestwacked, February 24, 2016, 10:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jestwacked

Couple of quick questions. I was advice by the Gatekeeper today to use deedpoll to change my name and title.

What should I use if I haven't begun transitioning yet? I was thinking about Mx since apparently thats an option for trans people and then going to ''Miss'' after transition?

Also in the UK I can change my name to anything?
Less drama, more action!
  •  

Elis

I would change your title to what you're comfortable with. Also otherwise you're going to have the hassle of changing it again when you go full time. And yes you can change it to anything; it just can't be offensive or a joke name eg. James bond.
Deed polls are also free. You just need to print off a template onto certificate paper.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

Cindi Jones

Quote from: Jestwacked on February 24, 2016, 10:01:54 AM
Couple of quick questions. I was advice by the Gatekeeper today to use deedpoll to change my name and title.

What should I use if I haven't begun transitioning yet? I was thinking about Mx since apparently thats an option for trans people and then going to ''Miss'' after transition?

Also in the UK I can change my name to anything?

I'm sorry but I just can't help this: I think that Mx Anything is down right boring. ;)

On the serious side. I agree with Elis. Pick Miss or Ms, whichever is appropriate in the UK. You don't want to shuffle more paperwork down the road. And pick a name you'll be happy with for the rest of  your life.  I sort of stumbled on mine one night and didn't give it too much thought. I wish I had chosen better. I won't get into it because the tale isn't worth telling. I'm good with my chosen name but not ecstatic. It's sort of bland.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Jestwacked

Quote from: Elis on February 24, 2016, 12:31:55 PM
I would change your title to what you're comfortable with. Also otherwise you're going to have the hassle of changing it again when you go full time. And yes you can change it to anything; it just can't be offensive or a joke name eg. James bond.
Deed polls are also free. You just need to print off a template onto certificate paper.

How does that work, how would they still have the same legal value?
Less drama, more action!
  •  

Elis

Its simply the law in the UK to have something which says I will no longer use this name and will from now on be called this. Although it needs to have printed on it two addresses of people who know you but aren't related to you and their signatures. My bank accepted my dead poll as well as my doctors office. It's simply not true that buying a deed poll is more 'official'; it's a scam.

•  

Jestwacked

I don't see it is a scam other than just a much easier option. I am still going to go with the fee to be honest, thanks for the advice though, I also think I've chosen a new name :D
Less drama, more action!
  •  

Elis

•