Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

WATCH: Pat Robertson Goes Nuclear in New Transphobic Rant

Started by stephaniec, February 24, 2016, 02:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

WATCH: Pat Robertson Goes Nuclear in New Transphobic Rant

http://www.advocate.com/transgender/2016/2/24/watch-pat-robertson-goes-nuclear-new-transphobic-rant

The Advocate/By Trudy Ring February 24 2016 1:54 PM EST

"Advancing the rights of transgender people, according to far-right televangelist Pat Robertson, is somehow taking the nation's attention away from the threat of nuclear war — and he claims the acceptance of trans people has come about because women are serving in combat and are no longer considered "the weaker sex."

On his 700 Club broadcast Tuesday, the noted homophobe and transphobe voiced concerns (likely overstated) about Iran developing nuclear weapons, then said, "We are facing thermonuclear annihilation and what are we debating in America? What are we debating? Where a little kid goes to the potty. I mean, this is nuts, absolutely nuts. It is crazy.""
  •  

Tessa James

LOL Pat is one of the funniest guys around.  He hilariously turns the right wing's pro discrimination bills into our collective "nonsense"  The only scary part is that some people think this comedian is a religious leader ;D
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Deborah

He, and the many others like him, are one of the reasons I stopped believing that there is any real substance to Christianity.  At some point you just have to ask how people that claim to be inhabited by the Spirit of a God can continually say such nonsensical things. 

My answer was that they can't and that the whole thing is a tremendous fraud.

Sapere Aude
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

sparrow

Yes Pat, it is silly that we're debating where kids pee.  We see eye-to-eye on something, finally!
  •  

Tysilio

"For the United States of America to put the power of the federal government and all of its money and resources behind this transgender movement, it is just nothing short of insanity," he continued...

I wouldn't insist on ALL the Gov.'s money and resources -- I'd be really happy if they'd put just the cost of the F-35 program behind us. If we had $400 billion to play with, we could actually get something done.
Never bring an umbrella to a coyote fight.
  •  

Tessa James

Quote from: Tysilio on February 24, 2016, 09:34:12 PM
"For the United States of America to put the power of the federal government and all of its money and resources behind this transgender movement, it is just nothing short of insanity," he continued...

I wouldn't insist on ALL the Gov.'s money and resources -- I'd be really happy if they'd put just the cost of the F-35 program behind us. If we had $400 billion to play with, we could actually get something done.

I guess he is concerned about the Dept of Justice getting serious about Title IX and work place protections for us.  Yes the F35 without even flying or needed suggest our national priorities need a revolutionary redirection.
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

sparrow

Quote from: Tessa James on February 25, 2016, 03:01:43 PM
Yes the F35 without even flying or needed suggest our national priorities need a revolutionary redirection.

Haven't you heard?  It can't turn sharp corners.  ::)
  •  

MelloYellowSurge

Oh Pat, how do I quit you? When it comes to comedy, Pat Robertson is the gift that keeps on giving. I'm guessing that Patty boy thinks that were going to waste the military's time with where trans children use the bathroom, forgetting that we pretty much have the CIA watching the Middle East like a hawk and keeping it's eyes on the DPRK (a.k.a. North Korea). Putting his transphobic comments aside or a moment, Daesh (a.k.a. the so-called "Islamic State") is a bigger worry for the US military than Iran. North Korea is pretty much a joke whose military doesn't really appear capable of doing much more than playing the really dangerous firecrackers just to try and look tough. Besides, the DPRK should be more afraid of China than the US. All that said, I think that a child using the bathroom that matches their gender identity is the least of the military's worries.

Then again, Pat has certainly done worse than this. Truth be told, I still wonder if he regrets telling the military they should have a special forces unit assassinate the late Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez or agreeing with the late Jerry Falwell who went on a tirade blaming 9/11 on abortions, LGBT, feminists, etc. I suspect the answer is no. Still, this was just comedy gold. I think this may have trumped the one where I think he warned against "false prophets" or something to that effect.
  •  

Guile

I always find it very rich when right-wingers use the instability of global relations to harp on issues that are completely unrelated. They did this to the furry community a number of years ago. "Hey, we have a war going on, so you guys shouldn't be wasting everyone's time and money on these sicko furry conventions!" Y'know, even though said conventions are completely privately funded and don't do harm to anyone. It feels like the same kind of argument here, albeit this one does have far more dire consequences.

Mr. Robinson, the United States of America spends roughly 52% of it's discretionary spending on "defense," none of which is being reallocated to civil right issues, I assure you. Even so, just about every politician on the right is whining and carrying on about how we need to rebuild our "weakened" military, despite it being the largest, most powerful military in the world by a long shot. I also find it rather rich that he starts off his rant by listing all of these supposed military threats to the United States, then turns around and berates the expansion of women's roles in the military. So, which is it, Pat? Do you want a strong military or not? Because tapping into the vast pool of qualified women willing to fight for their country just as hard as any man is what is going to make us stronger. Besides, there's also the ever-fun schoolyard taunt of "Hah! You just got your butt kicked by a girl!" thing. Right-wingers like you would normally be all about adding insult to injury like that.
  •