News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

ZARA unveils gender-neutral basics collection

Started by stephaniec, March 05, 2016, 01:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

ZARA unveils gender-neutral basics collection

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/03/05/zara-unveils-gender-neutral-basics-collection/

Pink News/By Joseph Patrick McCormick    03/05/2016

"ZARA has become the latest clothing brand to unveil a gender-neutral line.

The Spanish retail giant added the new collection to its inventory this week.

The basics range, which includes jeans, sweatpants and hoodies, contains 16 items."

•  

haeden

I wish they would either not use solely an androgynous woman or dress them up in a way a woman may typically wear it. I look at this and see unisex and the one sex is male.
It's a huge thing that more people are making gender neutral clothes but with the way she is styled she's the only one that loses her gender. I think the way Louis Vuitton (even if it's gender fluid and not neutral) did it worked best but they messed up and called it a woman's line

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

•  

AnonyMs

I wonder what the marketing point behind this is?

I'm very binary and the last thing I want to wear is gender neutral clothing.
  •  

Elis

I can't understand the point of this either. It seems like the company simply wants to cash in on the non binary trans community. Clothes are clothes; they have no gender; just wear what you want.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

AnonyMs

The non-binary community is tiny so there's no real cash there. Perhaps its now trendy for cis people to be gender neutral???
  •  

Elis

Quote from: AnonyMs on March 05, 2016, 03:00:36 PM
The non-binary community is tiny so there's no real cash there. Perhaps its now trendy for cis people to be gender neutral???

This as well. It's becoming a trend for cis people to be gender non conforming without actually being trans or knowing much about the trans community.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

AnonyMs

Does this mean I'm fashionable? I've never been fashionable before. Not sure how I'd feel about that.
  •  

Lyric

The stuff looks kind of bland, for sure, but come to think of it, it's exactly like what I'm wearing right now. They really didn't need to announce a "collection" for ordinary looking sweats and jeans, but I suppose anything progressive is a positive step.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

haeden

Yeah the clothes are very basic and wouldn't be worth any more than 50 bucks tho that's pretty steep too

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

•  

KarlMars

Quote from: Lyric on March 09, 2016, 08:32:53 AM
The stuff looks kind of bland, for sure, but come to think of it, it's exactly like what I'm wearing right now. They really didn't need to announce a "collection" for ordinary looking sweats and jeans, but I suppose anything progressive is a positive step.

Yes I agree that you can get clothes like that anywhere. What makes me happy about this is that its one more thing that gets trans people awareness. When they capitalize and market to us more people will accept us.

RobynD

There is a big drive for genderless fashion and for feminine styled fashion for men. Its been going on for more than a few years and does not show signs of being a short fad. I think it is cashing in on the non-binary attitude that is growing out there.

The drive for feminine menswear some have said is a counter response to the whole "lumbersexual" thing of the last several years.

•  

Michelle_P

Yes, it does look kind of bland, but it also looks like it fits well on anyone with a thinner frame, so yay!  (I'm 5'8", 145 lbs)  I actually like a number of the items I've dot in my wardrobe just because they fit me better,and are better made than the menswear equivalents.  I like the Calvin Klein women cotton tank undershirts better than most of the mens, for example, because they are finer material, with better, less irritating seams.  The lack of extra fabric to accommodate a bowling ball gut is a bonus.  :)
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •