News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Help finding a good makeup tutorial

Started by supergirl23, April 05, 2016, 11:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supergirl23

Hi,
I recently decided to take a big step in finding my gender identity and went to a cisgender makeup salon. It turns out, that I was their first trans client. After they were done giving me a makeover and I looked in the mirror, it was if they had no idea what they were doing. I was hideous. It looked like I had just stepped out of a circus. I was somehow able to keep my composure and politely thanked the salon owner. After I got home though I felt terrible, like I would never be able to fit into my real gender. So after removing my awful makeup I decided it would probably be easier just to do my makeup myself. So i started looking into different tutorials and could not find one that was right for me. each one was different. There was no standard. So this forum is my last hope. please, I need your help.
Thank you
  •  

kittenpower

the ideal face shape is oval and should also be within "the rule of thirds" parameter; so the primary goal of makeup is to make ones face appear more oval shaped, symmetrical, with softer features, and an even skin tone; this is achieved with various makeup application techniques, such as highlighting and contouring. Makeup is also used to camouflage things like dark circles under the eyes, facial hair shadow (I hate the word beard when it is used to describe facial hair in trans women), blemishes, etc., and play up positive attributes like large eyes and cheekbones, lips, etc., or to make small cheekbones, eyes, lips, etc. appear larger and thus more feminine. Makeup can also be used to create the illusion of bringing out deepset eyes, making your eyes appear closer together or wider apart if a correction is necessary, or making your upper lip appear closer to the base of your nose if need be. I would suggest doing a makeup 101 search, learning about the history of makeup, and it's various applications, so that you can get a better understanding how it can be used.

•  

Laura_7

This could help:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,205631.msg1825914.html#msg1825914

Imo no need to overdo it in the beginning.
A nourishing product for the face, a good liquid foundation, lipstick in unobtrusive colours and a volumizing mascara might do.
The liquid foundation can usually even be applied with cleaned fingers, just let it melt a bit before applying.

Don't overdo it in the beginning ....
have some fun, and add other things step by step ...
don't overdo makeup ... usually cis girls don't apply loads of makeup too ...
and clean it from the face in the evening ...

*hugs*
  •  

Cindi Jones

To build on what Kitten said, light colors enhance or bring out features and dark colors hide. I buy Cover Girl blush in the three color packs. The light tans work best for my general completion and the summer colors I wear. I use a light powder on the crown of my nose and upper cheek bones. I use the medium for my cheeks which brings them out nicely. I use the dark shade just in front of my ears and a very light touch along my rear towels. Then I use a brush to blend them all together.

I no longer use eye makeup. My eyes are deep set and my eyelashes aren't much to work with anymore. So I ignore that.

I should say that I use a light moisturizer (Loreal) on a clean face to start with and then use a very light application of a powder foundation (Loreal) before applying the blush colors.

The total effect is barely noticeable which is what I'm going for. I want to glow and not look pale.
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

supergirl23

Thank you very much for the information, but I should have been more detailed. When I mentioned that I looked like I had just stepped out of circus, I really should have said that I looked like a guy with makeup on.   
  •  

Cindi Jones

I got that. I did too until I found someone who wasn't trying to paint me for a formal ball. Lighter colors and application where they work for you is best until you get rid of facial hair and your skin softens up. I never did find an effective foundation to cover my five o'clock shadow. My first journeys into makeup set me up for a whole lot of public ridicule.

Look, girls work on this for all of their teen years. It takes time and effort to make it work. Don't forget that.
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Laura_7

Quote from: Cindi Jones on April 05, 2016, 05:35:49 PM
I never did find an effective foundation to cover my five o'clock shadow.

This could be an example:

https://www.lavera.com/lavera-natural-liquid-foundation-2014.html
stays in place for 10 hours without touch-ups

Another hint is to try orange lipstick underneath.
According to the colour wheel orange cancels out bluish tones.

*hugs*
  •  

supergirl23

Quote from: Cindi Jones on April 05, 2016, 05:35:49 PM
I got that. I did too until I found someone who wasn't trying to paint me for a formal ball. Lighter colors and application where they work for you is best until you get rid of facial hair and your skin softens up. I never did find an effective foundation to cover my five o'clock shadow. My first journeys into makeup set me up for a whole lot of public ridicule.

Look, girls work on this for all of their teen years. It takes time and effort to make it work. Don't forget that.
Thanks for understanding, it was just that it was extremely embarrassing to try to go shopping after that. knowing that I was not passing and having everybody look at me like I was a freak.
  •