Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

When you just dont fit the box

Started by Satinjoy, May 19, 2016, 09:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satinjoy

Nonbinary.  Not of the binary.  Nonlineal gender or gender caught in the middle.  Gender undefined.  Gender unknown.

Or genderfreed...

A box, a lable.  Does it work, does it make tribe?  Or separate? Or worse, limit?

Can you be all of gender at once?  None?  Moving along a binary line?

Why would you use a point between two extremes to define gender?  Isnt that the binary?

I see gender as music.  Liquid and free.  Soprano and alto and tenor and bass all together as one.  Beautiful musical expression in all its dynamic wonder.

And we want a box?  A lineal point that needs to move?

Thats just a melody line.

I want the whole symphony playing.  And lets dress them to the nines.

Fly over the rainbow.  See and be it all, feel it all, the whole you.  Dysphoria will ease, clearsightedness come.  You escape the matrix, you become free, to express any or all of your symphony, the beautiful, dazzling music of your gender.

Enjoy your heartsong.

Satinjoy
Morpheus: This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the red pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the little blue pills - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes

Sh'e took the little blue ones.
  •  

HappyMoni

Dear Satinjoy,

I just realized it is "Satin." I was thinking "Satan" and it made me wonder.

Sorry, I digress! I am glad you are happy with non binary philosophy. Maybe it is the time I grew up in, but I don't think I could be comfortable there. My personal view, for myself, is that of hating being in the middle. I love being female, tolerated being male somewhat, but floating in the middle is very uncomfortable. I wish it were not so, as it would make transition a bit easier. Anyway, enjoy your freedom. I am happy for both of us. If I ever seem intolerant, please kick me firmly in the "buttocks."
Moni
(No friends of Satan or Satin were harmed in the making of this post.)
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

suzifrommd

For me, being non-binary is a very private thing. I don't want every social occasion to require educating people about what it means to be non-binary, and I want unconditional acceptance in female spaces, so I present as a binary female. My concern is that the females who I need social connection with will see me as "different" if I introduce this wrinkle.

So I save the fact that I'm non-binary until I know they will not see me as some sort of Other.

I like the term "non-binary" because it is inclusive. It doesn't set out parameters for what we have to be, only parameters for what we're not. The old word, androgyne, had such a narrow definition, that I was forever trying to figure out whether I fit into it.

But as much as we hate the idea, the vast, vast, majority of the population is happy and comfortable identifying with one of the two binary genders, and most are untroubled by the reality that everyone expresses and lives their gender in a slightly different way. So a woman who drives a big rig, for example, doesn't see herself as "between the genders" just because she engages in activity that's uncommon for a woman.

Non-binary people love to have this fantasy that most binary men and women secretly think of themselves as between the genders, but I haven't seen any evidence that this is actually true. Others have this fantasy that most men and women are dissatisfied with their gender and would be "gender-freed" if society were less constraining, but I don't see any evidence of this either.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Satinjoy

I generally present in a recognizable, binary presentation.. I agree with you Suzi.

When i say "genderfreed", i am refering to being free to be us.  The cis and the binary dont have that problem.  Unless a person cant "pass".

Im going out tonight.  With or without the wig, it will be she.  It takes too much strength to do "they".  Although i do it.

Switching avatars to current.
Morpheus: This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the red pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the little blue pills - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes

•  

Claire

I'm trying to understand what it means to reside somewhere in between. I think that might be where I am but I don't know how to do it and what that looks like for me. How do I express that? How do I feel that? There is pressure sure to remain what you are assigned at birth but if you don't belong there it seems like your expected to move all the way into the other camp.

Claire (née Dori)
Claire.
  •  

stephaniec

personally, to be honest I wouldn't mind being Dolly Pardon, but I tend these days to look like a middle class woman approaching the golden years.
  •  

Satinjoy

Quote from: dori on May 20, 2016, 05:16:31 PM
I'm trying to understand what it means to reside somewhere in between. I think that might be where I am but I don't know how to do it and what that looks like for me. How do I express that? How do I feel that? There is pressure sure to remain what you are assigned at birth but if you don't belong there it seems like your expected to move all the way into the other camp.

Claire (née Dori)

You may be expected, but thats not required.

Ill go into detail when i get a chance, im sure others will too.

•  

Satinjoy

Nonbinary gender for me is being whole.  Its recognizing that there are traditional male, female, and nongendered aspects of self.  These are present whether you are out as girl, guy, or creatively in between.

What it looks like for you on the outside can becwhatever you want.  On the inside its just awareness.  Nothing is forced, its all just you.  The whole person.

You do what you want with your body, mine is full no op transition.  On the street they dont know how to gender me at times, i think this amusing.  They are seldom hostile unless it looks like a guy with lipstick.  Thats when social binary enforcers cause harm to us. 

So it can be anything.  And locked into nothing.  In a racecar i look and act and mostly think like a guy.  Hair on and purse in hand i look and act like a girl, and think like an androgyne. 

Its all very free and very "authentic". Because its a reflection of my truth.

It comes down to awareness.  And as we grow in our gender that awareness evolves.  After trans puberty hits with all its difficult adult teenager years, we get in the groove, and live free.  Sometimes just inside ourselves or under the clothes, social pressure is what it is, we need to use every advantage we have.

Imo.

Satin Joy

•  

keira166

Quote from: dori on May 20, 2016, 05:16:31 PM

Claire (née Dori)

Yup, I feel pressure still to be more like cisgender, but at least for me, its no longer when I'm completely alone (and much less when I'm with others).

I feel non binary by NOT feeling like a man or woman.  I always assumed that people didn't feel it, like there was no intrinsic male or female feeling.  Some people apparently feel male or female (and both, rock on you genderfluid and bigender peeps).  I've never had a moment I felt I was male or female (just the pressure to act like one/not act like the other, ie masculine or feminine), so I like and ID as agender, and thus nonbinary. 

I expressed myself today as nonbinary by sharpie doodling on my arms and torso (I''ll never be too old to doodle).  And I wore a purple polo.  Sometimes I think of nonbinary as basically the most free.  See Iron Maiden's Clansmen, lol  

Seriously though, I'm still working on building up courage to wear what I want out in public.  Its a process, I'm more open than I've ever been socially, and I've made some progress appearing however I want outside, but I want to look better.

•