Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

wig color, I'm almost 50, which are appropriate for my age?

Started by _starlight_, May 17, 2016, 07:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_starlight_

I'm looking to buy a wig that is shoulder length, but I know nothing about wigs other than there are bad ones and good ones.

I'm looking at this one in particular
http://www.wigs.com/top-secret-12-inch-by-jon-renau.html#review

Is this a good wig for the price?
What colors should I focus on for someone my age?  I'm caucation and I try to stay out of sun, but my skin is not pale. I'm thinking a color like FS26/31, but whats the rule? I don't think wearing dark hair colors would look natural but I'm not gray haired either yet.
  •  

Laura_7

Quote from: _starlight_ on May 17, 2016, 07:48:00 AM
I'm looking to buy a wig that is shoulder length, but I know nothing about wigs other than there are bad ones and good ones.

I'm looking at this one in particular
http://www.wigs.com/top-secret-12-inch-by-jon-renau.html#review

Is this a good wig for the price?
What colors should I focus on for someone my age?  I'm caucation and I try to stay out of sun, but my skin is not pale. I'm thinking a color like FS26/31, but whats the rule? I don't think wearing dark hair colors would look natural but I'm not gray haired either yet.

You may consider real hair.

One possibility would be to look at sites where pictures can be entered and different haistyles can be tried virtually.
The real result will be different but it might give a hint how colours might fit.

Blonde colours may be a good idea. A wig from real hair can be dyed as well. There are dyes which are not permanent so one or two different colours might be tried in case.

hugs
  •  

_starlight_

got any suggest for sites that allow a "virtual try on" ? I'll google in the mean time :), just wondering if there is 1 or 2 that excels.
  •  

Lyric

I did quite a bit of research on the web about Jon Reau wigs awhile back and I'll share what I found. I see the one you're looking at is a synthetic. Synthetic wigs are what big labels like Renau do best because the hair quality can be easily maintained in manufacturing. Reviews of Renau's human hair wigs tend to be very spotty. Sometimes the hair quality is OK and other times its very poor. Renau is well known for their cap quality, though.

Two things would prevent me from buying the Top Secret 12", though. One is that it doesn't have a lace front. With non-banged styles like that you really want a lace front. Renau has a nifty no-adhesive lace front system with some of their wigs and it's probably worth the extra money.

The other thing, for me, though, is that it's synthetic. After wearing both synthetic and HH wigs over the years, I've decided human hair is really the only way to go for a real hair look and for wig longevity. The drawback is they require a lot of care and styling to keep them looking good.

As for color, I really like Renau's FS26/31 mix, too. It's a beige-to-blonde highlight mix that has an oddly pale overall tone when seen as a full wig, but it's not bad. The downside is that I wouldn't recommend it for a synthetic. The most convincing synthetics tend to be the darker shades. Blonde synthetic wigs seem to usually look plasticy, I think. There may be treatments that can dull the gloss a bit, but I've not tried it.

As for your age, I see more and more women over 50 going blonde and it often seems to do wonders for making them seem younger and fresher. Go for it. But consider human hair if you do. I think the best human hair wigs come from smaller independent sources. One I've heard very good reviews of is Model Lace Wigs in Las Vegas, but check around the web. There are many fine smaller wig dealers with great wigs and at lower prices than the big labels. I'll warn you, though, that I rarely hear of a wig shopper who finds the perfect wig the first try. Most wig buyers end up buying a few of them before they have one they are satisfied with.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Ms Grace

If your skin complexion is similar to the model's you should br fine. If your eyebrows are lighter consider using make up to darken otherwise it will look odd. Microfibres synthetic wigs are very realistic, just take good care (brushing and washing/conditioning) and it'll go great. In synthetic wigs where the hair touches the shoulders or longer, there is a tendency for the ends to start to frizz over time due to the very light friction with clothing it touches, conditioner and brushing can help but so can steaming to take the frizz out. You'd be best to get a professional to do that, or at least check out a YouTube to make sure you don't damage the wig. Since you're likely to be wearing it every day it will need to be tough, microfibres usually is up to the task despite the slight frizzing issue. It's a nice looking wig. Those natural looking parts are a good feature of better quality wigs.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

_starlight_

I hadn't considered real hair as I figured it would be to expensive, some were 2000 dollars or more. And I figured I'd have to replace a wig every 2-3 months (thought I read that somewhere).

Also didn't realize about getting a lace front (thanks for the tip). I'll also look into what steaming is all about and learn about microfibre. 

I have some education to do. Thank you all for your help.
  •  

VickyMI

Color should be selected based on skin color.

Length is generally best selected by age. Look at women your age. You will notice as women age their hair style gets shorter. I love the feel of shoulder length hair but my short hair suits my age and helps me pass better.

Happy T Gurl living as Vicky half time.
  •  

Emileeeee

There are apps that let you take a picture of yourself and try different hairstyles/colors too. Some are customized for specific companies as well. I say go with the color you like and forget all the you can't do that because of body type, age, whatever. Just because you're over a certain age, doesn't mean you have to stop being fun.
  •  

Lyric

Quote from: _starlight_ on May 18, 2016, 06:52:18 PM
I hadn't considered real hair as I figured it would be to expensive, some were 2000 dollars or more. And I figured I'd have to replace a wig every 2-3 months (thought I read that somewhere).

Also didn't realize about getting a lace front (thanks for the tip). I'll also look into what steaming is all about and learn about microfibre. 

I have some education to do. Thank you all for your help.

The prices on human hair wigs runs the range and a higher price doesn't necessarily mean higher quality. You can buy decent HH wigs for a few hundred and I've even bought a couple I liked on eBay for under $200. A good HH wig can last a couple of years of frequent wear with care. The less you do to them the better, especially washing, which always deteriorates it a bit. Synthetics generally last a much shorter time than HH fiber wigs and do not fare in a lot of sun or heat.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

_starlight_

I have a bunch more questions:

Can I wear a HH wig 24x7 or close to it?

I like this one with lace front
http://www.wigs.com/quinn-by-amore.html
and
http://www.wigs.com/plf-001hm-by-louis-ferre.html

but gawd...they are expensive.

How long can I expect a HH wig to last?
  •  

Lyric

Wear a wig 24x7? Well, no, not really. Most wigs will be damaged quickly if you sleep in them every night. If you want to sleep in a wig, it might be best to use an inexpensive spare or an old one you're not wearing out and around.

The two wigs you linked to might an might not be OK, but as I said before, the big wig companies put their best efforts into selling synthetic wigs and their human hair ones tend to be of varying quality-- and often over bleached such that they don't last very long. I like the smaller wig makers that specialize in HH wigs. For well under the price of those you can have a custom wig made by Model Lace. Check their custom page here: https://modellacewigsandhair.com/lace-wigs-17.html?cat=135

While synthetic wigs tend to be cut and styled a certain way with few additional styling options, human hair wigs are best purchased at a general maximum length and then trimmed and styled to suit the wearer. If you buy an HH wig you'd be wise to find a good wig stylist to fit it for you.

BTW, some of the best advice on wigs and wig wearing I've found on the web has come from women with hairloss. These ladies take their wigs very seriously and know a lot things. Check this excellent Alopecia site: http://www.heralopecia.com/interact/forumdisplay.php/56-Wigs-Extensions-Toppers-amp-Hair-Systems
  •  

_starlight_

Thanks for the sharing your knowledge, I'll take a look. My wife and I have been talking about the advice here and how I'm  going to do this, she wants the best for me. I think ultimately its a combination of going bald and beautiful, scarves, and high quality HH wigs. and yup sleeping with out my wig on.  To start we were thinking till I get skilled it may be best to start out with some inexpensive wigs that I could learn on by wearing around the house/in private. Likely Synthetic. Then for going public buy a better quality HH wig and go from there.

I think this is a good approach and a money saver likely.

As one more follow up, how long will a HH wig last usually?
  •  

Eva Marie

The selection of a wig depends on many personal factors, such as your face shape, your skin tone, your sense of style, and the thickness of your wallet. At 50 you want something that is tasteful and doesn't stick out thus drawing attention.

I wore wigs until my own hair grew out. I transitioned at 50 and I tried several different styles of wigs and I found that a shoulder length synthetic auburn wig worked for me. They were relatively cheap ($50), they were durable, they were pretty authentic looking, and when they wore out I just threw them away and got new ones. I would suggest that you go to a wig store and try on some wigs to see what works - they have undoubtedly seen dozens of trans people but if you are nervous you can call them to ask before you go.

I could not afford a HH wig so I never considered one. An interesting story - my hairdresser is a breast cancer survivor and she had to wear wigs for awhile since chemo took her natural hair. She tried a HH wig and the first time she washed it it went frizzy and it became unusable. That scared me away from HH wigs.

I found lace front wigs to be a pain - no matter how I trimmed the lace it was always visible and it was itchy. Some people swear by them though. I found that the traditional wig cap construction worked for me and some wig tape kept everything in place just fine.

You should consider using a wig cap to reduce the amount of body oil that transfers to the wig and also to reduce itching.

Pick up some wig shampoo and conditioner and wash and condition the wig periodically - you'll be shocked at the gunk that comes out of it. Washing it keeps it smelling nice and conditioning it keeps it shiny and healthy looking.
  •  

_starlight_

•  

Alex Forbes

The right color and style has less to do with age and more to do with the shape of your head and the color of your skin. I am almost 50 myself (gads!) and I have found that bob cuts are best. Consider bob styles that cut along or under your jawline - this is a marvelous way to deemphasize the thickness of the neck. I would avoid very blonde shades as these look artificial, but to each her own.

The color of your eyes is also a consideration. Red highlights in brown hair can make deep blue eyes pop, for instance. I discovered this by accident when a stylist slapped a wig on my head I would have never picked out myself!
  •  

Amber42

Quote from: Alex Forbes on June 07, 2016, 10:49:25 PM
The right color and style has less to do with age and more to do with the shape of your head and the color of your skin. I am almost 50 myself (gads!) and I have found that bob cuts are best. Consider bob styles that cut along or under your jawline - this is a marvelous way to deemphasize the thickness of the neck. I would avoid very blonde shades as these look artificial, but to each her own.

The color of your eyes is also a consideration. Red highlights in brown hair can make deep blue eyes pop, for instance. I discovered this by accident when a stylist slapped a wig on my head I would have never picked out myself!

I have to say, I love your hair style! 

Do you have a recommendation for a bob style wig? Brand, models, etc?

I've got a couple of longer styles, but ordered online.  I wish I could muster the nerve to go for a proper fitting.  Maybe one day when I'm out of town :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Sussy

I think it's worth a look at celebrity hairstyles of your Strength. I think volossy medium length will look appropriate
  •  

RavenMoon

I'm almost 60 (7 months). I dye my hair black (it's very dark brown, covers the gray). And I have purple and red streaks in the front. Lol. But I'm a musician. But really, look at women around you. They dye their hair when it's gray, and either to what their hair was or another color like red.

50 isn't old. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •