Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Why is it that anyone who doesn't agree with LGBT is homophobic or transphobic?

Started by Brandon, May 19, 2016, 01:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: Eevee on May 19, 2016, 11:56:56 AM
I disagree with this thread. I hope that doesn't offend you. At least my disagreement in this case won't stand in the way of basic human rights.

None taken and there we go again lol.
keep working hard and you can get anything you want.    -Aaliyah
  •  

FTMax

Personally I don't see anything under the LGBTQ umbrella as something you agree or disagree with. All of these types of people exist. As King Phoenix said, you can't agree or disagree with the way something inherently is. Homosexuality is a condition of being, not a behavior like smoking or drinking. You would say "I'm going to smoke." You wouldn't say "I'm going to homosexual." It's not the same thing.

Race is actually a good example. It is something you inherently are and cannot change. Sexuality and gender are the same way, so you should think of them in the same way.

The primary issue is ignorance. A lot of people genuinely do not understand the idea of not being cisgender or heterosexual. It is completely contrary to their experience and it is tough to imagine feeling differently. We as a community need to be more open about our feelings and lived experiences. The more people know, the more their minds change. It's not about pushing acceptance, it's about pushing knowledge. Knowledge breeds acceptance.

And I mean no offense when I say this, but you realize that people who "disagree" with trans people would call you a lesbian for dating a female, right?
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

cheryl reeves

I abstain from the lbg for I have never gotten over how they three is under the bus after they got their rights. I been watching the t and wondering of we are going to go alone or stay part of a organization that hates us and the only reason they want the t to stay is for our votes. This bathroom issue is going to hurt cis women more then transgenders,you are going to see cis people hurt more then trans over this ludicrous b.s.
  •  

Brandon

Quote from: FTMax on May 19, 2016, 12:14:01 PM
Personally I don't see anything under the LGBTQ umbrella as something you agree or disagree with. All of these types of people exist. As King Phoenix said, you can't agree or disagree with the way something inherently is. Homosexuality is a condition of being, not a behavior like smoking or drinking. You would say "I'm going to smoke." You wouldn't say "I'm going to homosexual." It's not the same thing.

Race is actually a good example. It is something you inherently are and cannot change. Sexuality and gender are the same way, so you should think of them in the same way.

The primary issue is ignorance. A lot of people genuinely do not understand the idea of not being cisgender or heterosexual. It is completely contrary to their experience and it is tough to imagine feeling differently. We as a community need to be more open about our feelings and lived experiences. The more people know, the more their minds change. It's not about pushing acceptance, it's about pushing knowledge. Knowledge breeds acceptance.

And I mean no offense when I say this, but you realize that people who "disagree" with trans people would call you a lesbian for dating a female, right?

To you its not about pushing anything but to other people it very well is and of course you wouldn't see it like that and thank you man but I am very much aware of that but I know what I am and nobody elses oppinion is needed see I know how to not let stuff bother me and not only that I am well accepted by my peers and tbh even my own parents who do not agree with me don't even see me as a lesbian anymore because as much as they don't agree with me transitioning they know its about my identity and everyone has ever had a probelm with me has never considered me a lesbian they just didin't undertans why I would wanna change my physical appearence but as I have said I am not sensitive either so I could careless nor do I go around broadcasting that I am trans
  •  

Brandon

Quote from: cheryl reeves on May 19, 2016, 12:26:16 PM
I abstain from the lbg for I have never gotten over how they three is under the bus after they got their rights. I been watching the t and wondering of we are going to go alone or stay part of a organization that hates us and the only reason they want the t to stay is for our votes. This bathroom issue is going to hurt cis women more then transgenders,you are going to see cis people hurt more then trans over this ludicrous b.s.

I agree tbh and I have wondered that as well because they are the only ones getting rights and as far as the bathroom thing I was just explaining that to my girlfriend because I asked her oppinion on it but I want no part in the lgb either I am cool with gay people but I just don't want no part.
  •  

Jacqueline

:police:

Warning:

Doing alright but lets keep our emotions in check on this thread. I also wanted to add a couple comments about a few posts here:

QuoteI abstain from the lbg for I have never gotten over how they three is under the bus after they got their rights. I been watching the t and wondering of we are going to go alone or stay part of a organization that hates us and the only reason they want the t to stay is for our votes. This bathroom issue is going to hurt cis women more then transgenders,you are going to see cis people hurt more then trans over this ludicrous b.s.
Let's recall that part of the "No Bashing" rule states: 
QuoteAdvocating the separation or exclusion of one or more group from under the Transgender umbrella term. The same restriction applies to advocating the removal of the T from GLBT.

and on a different rule

9. If you disapprove of people who are Transgender, Gay, Lesbian, or Bisexual; or activities which cross gender boundaries; take your arguments to a more appropriate website.

Getting close to the borders on those.

Let's remember this is a safe site and be mindful of unnecessary language.

Thanks for your consideration,

Joanna
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

Promethea

Quote from: Brandon on May 19, 2016, 01:17:41 AM
I am not trolling at all this is a very serious question. Me personally I don't give a damn what people think about me, all my friends love me and my girlfriend adores me and that's all that matters to me but one thing I notice is that here as well as on other forums presumibly anyone that disagrees with trans people or gay people is automatically considered transphobic or homophobic no offence but I disagree yeah there are people out there who hate the lgb and the   T but in my oppinion just because somebody disagrees with you doesn't mean they hate you, its a free country you don't have to agree with everything, that's like saying because I don't agree with my friends smoking or drinking that I hate them yes I might not like it but not liking something vs hating something are 2 completely different things I don't agree with a lot of the things my gf does for Gods sake but it damn sure don't mean I hate her ILoveThatGirlWithAllMyHeart and she knows it and Vice Versa she doesn't agree with half the stuff I do but she  damn sure doesn't hate me and SheLovesMeWithAllHerHeart and then to say that not only do they hate the lgb and the    T also fear it? I am not afraid of gay people or other trans people, or to say that they don't understand it, what's not to understand, you like the same sex or gender by all means be happy, whatever floats your boat but I am sorry I have to respectfully disagree on that and as a transguy I do personally feel that homosexuality is being pushed to hard, yes everyone deserves free will as I said above, do you, whatever makes you happy but you can't push it down everyones throats and then get mad when someone says they disagree cuz in reality most people could careless who you are sleeping with and to me its just not logical. I realize I may get a lot of poo for this post but I wanna discuss this without arguing because I have respectfully stated my oppinion.

Hey, I'm not racist. I just disagree with black people. I think being black is unhealthy, immoral and an unnatural lifestyle choice. I simply don't want to have to see people being black, they shouldn't be consider equal to normal people.

How does that sound to you? Is it a matter of opinion? Is there something to agree or disagree about or just something that is, a feature of some people that is not the result of a choice and can't be changed even if they wanted to?

That's why someone who claims to "disagree with LGBT" is simply using nicer words trying to feel better about being homo/transphobic.
Life is a dream we wake from.

•  

RobynD

Again i totally get the sensitivity. 40 yrs ago people used the some of the same speak for interracial marriage, where "disagreement" became grounds for denying people's rights to marry the person they loved.

My own parents and grandparents were included in that group. When i would ask about interracial marriage as a kid they would replay things like: "it's just not right or natural" "think of the poor children" "i just don't think everyone should mix" "they will be caught between two cultures"

Really what they meant was " Our culture is superior to theirs, our bloodlines are better, etc. etc. and " who will we feel superior to if everyone can marry everyone"

just two weeks ago i had a friend try and tell me that white people are better suited to run things, because our IQ is naturally higher. Incredible that these views still exist but they do.

Society must evolve and progress.

•  

Brandon

Quote from: Promethea on May 19, 2016, 01:10:49 PM
Hey, I'm not racist. I just disagree with black people. I think being black is unhealthy, immoral and an unnatural lifestyle choice. I simply don't want to have to see people being black, they shouldn't be consider equal to normal people.

How does that sound to you? Is it a matter of opinion? Is there something to agree or disagree about or just something that is, a feature of some people that is not the result of a choice and can't be changed even if they wanted to?

That's why someone who claims to "disagree with LGBT" is simply using nicer words trying to feel better about being homo/transphobic.

I am gonna have to respectfully disagree.
  •  

Brandon

Quote from: RobynD on May 19, 2016, 01:21:45 PM
Again i totally get the sensitivity. 40 yrs ago people used the some of the same speak for interracial marriage, where "disagreement" became grounds for denying people's rights to marry the person they loved.

My own parents and grandparents were included in that group. When i would ask about interracial marriage as a kid they would replay things like: "it's just not right or natural" "think of the poor children" "i just don't think everyone should mix" "they will be caught between two cultures"

Really what they meant was " Our culture is superior to theirs, our bloodlines are better, etc. etc. and " who will we feel superior to if everyone can marry everyone"

just two weeks ago i had a friend try and tell me that white people are better suited to run things, because our IQ is naturally higher. Incredible that these views still exist but they do.

Society must evolve and progress.

I agree on that 100%.
  •  

Brandon

Quote from: Joanna50 on May 19, 2016, 01:08:50 PM
:police:

Warning:

Doing alright but lets keep our emotions in check on this thread. I also wanted to add a couple comments about a few posts here:
Let's recall that part of the "No Bashing" rule states:   

and on a different rule

Getting close to the borders on those.

Let's remember this is a safe site and be mindful of unnecessary language.

Thanks for your consideration,

Joanna

Will do!
  •  

Cindy

•