Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Trump: Transgender bathrooms ‘unbelievably expensive’

Started by stephaniec, May 24, 2016, 09:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jean24

Quote from: mac1 on November 24, 2016, 04:08:10 PM
There has been more than one president in my lifetime with whom I have been in total disagreement.  However, I have always trusted and wished then success for the good of the country.  Our democracy, freedom, and way of life are dependent on that.

Some have even demonstrated complete disrespect for the Constitution.

I'm fine with that! Parts of the constitution infringe on an inalienable right to life (according to the Declaration of Independence). Particularly the second amendment which is being used to promote the gun violence epidemic which leads to the deaths of over 30,000 of your fellow countrymen every year - all in the name of firearm industry profits.

The Constitution is far from perfect.

Also if you value your personal freedom and way of life, I'd recommend not trusting or hoping for success of camps or those who champion them.
Trying to take it one day at a time :)
  •  

Deborah

If the Republicans actually respected the constitution they would immediately shut down these freedom of religion bills that seek to give one specific religion a privileged position under the law.  But they are not shutting down that effort are they?

They only respect the constitution insofar as they can twist it to their own ends.

Camps are unlikely because the majority of Americans do not support the Republican agenda.  But they are not impossible given the current political climate and the positions of those that are now in charge.

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
André Gide, Autumn Leaves
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Wynternight

This thread has gone very much off-topic and will be locked if it doesn't get back on-topic.
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

KathyLauren

Geez, how much does a sign cost?  $5?  Maybe less in quantity?
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Deborah

Cost isn't the issue anyway. 

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
André Gide, Autumn Leaves
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Lily Rose

Quote from: mac1 on November 24, 2016, 11:39:18 AM
We don't need expensive new construction of existing facilities.

i really like your avatar.

i can not help but think if i right now throw on a dress then go use a womens public restroom, i would not blame a "ciswoman" if she fears for her life. i look in the mirror and see nothing resembling a woman. however i can see at some point in my life, myself not comfortable to use a mens public restroom. if it means every business to add a third restroom to meet code compliance then so be it.
"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

"You must unlearn what you have learned."
– Yoda

"The road to success is always under construction."
– Lily Tomlin

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
– Victor Hugo :icon_headfones:
  •  

Laura_Squirrel

I will continue to live my life as I have done for the last decade. I'm not worried about what laws are passed. NO ONE will stop me from living my life. NO ONE!
  •  

Kitty June

Why would we need another bathroom? I use the women's restroom. I used to use the men's. I have enough translation stuff to worry about, I don't need a transition bathroom.
And if you do, isn't that what family bathrooms are for?
  •  

Lily Rose

Quote from: StevieC9 on November 26, 2016, 03:54:21 AM
Why would we need another bathroom?

i am not saying what the and or if there needs to be a solution. when i see this i think there needs to be one. i do not care what it is.

"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

"You must unlearn what you have learned."
– Yoda

"The road to success is always under construction."
– Lily Tomlin

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
– Victor Hugo :icon_headfones:
  •  

mac1

What did people do...............?
Before public restrooms?
Before indoor bathrooms?
Before the outhouse?

What is so different and secretive about those basic bodily functions?

Separation exists only among some human societies.

Why is separation even necessary?

Separate will never be equal.
?
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: mac1 on November 26, 2016, 10:57:12 AM
Before public restrooms?
Before indoor bathrooms?
Before the outhouse?

What is so different and secretive about those basic bodily functions?

Separation exists only among some human societies.

Why is separation even necessary?

Separate will never be equal.

They're an odd outgrowth of Western European culture and Victorian paternalism.  For a long time, women in that culture were expected to remain at home, and any public restrooms that existed (a chamberbox behind a door, really) were used exclusively by men when out and about.  With the coming of the industrial age and development of factories, women were employed outside the home in large numbers, and the Victorians decided that in order to protect the fairer sex in their factories that separate facilities should be built.

The separation was made formal in Massachusetts in 1887 with the passage of the first laws mandating separate facilities.  With that precedent, we've been legislating bathrooms ever since!
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

mac1

Quote from: Michelle_P on November 26, 2016, 03:47:55 PM
The separation was made formal in Massachusetts in 1887 with the passage of the first laws mandating separate facilities.  With that precedent, we've been legislating bathrooms ever since!

Politicians could spend their time to better good by legislating on more important matters.
?
  •  

DawnOday

Most restrooms for small business are single rooms or maybe two. Define them as unisex and put a lock on it. Problem solved. Larger corporations? Take their ability to give large bonuses to CEO's and divert to unisex restrooms. The thirty K per restroom will still leave the CEO $1.2 million for a bonus. If we have enough money to shut the government down for a week to the tune of $25 billion, without conscience. Why not
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

DawnOday

Before public restrooms?
Before indoor bathrooms?
Before the outhouse?

In days of old, when knights were bold and toilets weren't invented, They would drop their load, along the road and walk away contented
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Mariah

Unless they were single occupant restrooms, I would never use them. Been sexually assaulted once and I don't plan on letting a situation occur again that would allow that to happen. It's better to allow people access to the restroom that matches the gender they identify with then making special bathrooms regardless of the cost. I agree it doesn't cost that much to do and frankly if they truly wanted to do it the cost wouldn't matter anyways. Hugs
Mariah
Quote from: DawnOday on November 26, 2016, 05:22:12 PM
Most restrooms for small business are single rooms or maybe two. Define them as unisex and put a lock on it. Problem solved. Larger corporations? Take their ability to give large bonuses to CEO's and divert to unisex restrooms. The thirty K per restroom will still leave the CEO $1.2 million for a bonus. If we have enough money to shut the government down for a week to the tune of $25 billion, without conscience. Why not
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

analone1966

Quite honestly, Transgender bathrooms is a stupid idea ( In my opinion ) that states the person is a different Sex from the rest even though they aren't .....  in my store we have Male and female single restrooms, you can bet your A** that if I have to go then I'm going i don't care what restroom i use .... It's not like I spend a lot of time in there anyways just do my business wash my hands and I'm out .... I can understand those that are talking concerns of more public bathrooms however my thought on that is if a Male has his sex changed and thinks as a female ( in most part ) and had the entire sex change then that is safe to use the female restroom in public area without females worrying about being attacked by a male.  ( Just my Thoughts on the subject ) .....   :)
  •  

CatBlack

Analone, Are you suggesting that we should have to require surgery to use the ladies room?

Because that would put a huge number of transwomen in a dangerous situation where they would be forced to use the men's room. Many transwomen never even get bottom surgery.
  •  

stephaniec

Lets remember to be respectful and polite please, thank you :police:
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: analone1966 on December 13, 2016, 08:50:05 AM
Quite honestly, Transgender bathrooms is a stupid idea ( In my opinion ) that states the person is a different Sex from the rest even though they aren't .....  in my store we have Male and female single restrooms, you can bet your A** that if I have to go then I'm going i don't care what restroom i use .... It's not like I spend a lot of time in there anyways just do my business wash my hands and I'm out .... I can understand those that are talking concerns of more public bathrooms however my thought on that is if a Male has his sex changed and thinks as a female ( in most part ) and had the entire sex change then that is safe to use the female restroom in public area without females worrying about being attacked by a male.  ( Just my Thoughts on the subject ) .....   :)

bzzzzzzz...

Quote from: CatBlack on December 13, 2016, 11:15:46 AM
Analone, Are you suggesting that we should have to require surgery to use the ladies room?

Because that would put a huge number of transwomen in a dangerous situation where they would be forced to use the men's room. Many transwomen never even get bottom surgery.

DING!

Analone, using genitals as a guideline is the absolute worst option. Presentation comes in a close second worst option. The only reasonable solution is for people to use the bathroom they're comfortable in, and to not worry about where other people are going to the bathroom. You may have meant no harm, but your comments are terribly transphobic. I am disappointed to see someone within the community making these suggestions.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Mariah

Exactly, so spot on with this. So many times I was self conscious going in before SRS and it was all because of what was down below, but no matter what I used the bathroom I was comfortable in. The last time I used the men's I knew I didn't belong in there. It didn't feel right so I stopped using it. it was slightly before being full time. Hugs
Mariah
Quote from: Devlyn Marie on December 14, 2016, 10:19:52 AM
The only reasonable solution is for people to use the bathroom they're comfortable in, and to not worry about where other people are going to the bathroom.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •