Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Incontinence?

Started by SophiaW, May 28, 2016, 01:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SophiaW

Hi everyone,
Like all of you, I'm seeing or seen lots of medical people, and I read on an obscure paper that there is a 19% chance of incontinence after srs surgery....I read that again and realised that means nearly 1 in 5 people can end up being like that forever!
My psychiatrist said he's never heard of a case like that, but I thought I'd ask the people out here.

Really hope it's not true.
  •  

AnonyMs

I've never heard of it either and I've read a lot of SRS stories. If its true then perhaps its in the past or with particular (bad) surgeons.
  •  

Rejennyrated

19% is way too high - if you said 0.19% or nearly 2 in 1000 that is nearer the correct figure, so it may just be a typo. It does happen even in medical journals.

Do also be aware that there is a lot of junk out there that looks like proper peer reviewed studies but actually isnt, and on investigation turns out to have been published by biased medical groups with an agenda to push.

The risk of vagino-vesicular, and recto-vaginal fistula was greater in older times due to the use of scalpels as oposed to modern electro-cautery cutting instruments. Using modern instruments and laparoscopic imaging we can do much finer work in theatres now, with less risks of accidental damage.

So yes there is a risk, and you should never forget that even at 2 in 1000 you might be one of the unlucky ones, but its not as high as you have read.
  •  

suzifrommd

It certainly doesn't seem to be a part of a lot of post-SRS stories here on Susan's Place.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

SophiaW

Thanks everyone.
Your comments are very reassuring.
Yes, there is a risk, and I wouldn't consider going for it at that 19%, but as everyone here has never had it, lets hope its the same for everyone else in the future :)
  •  

kimbee777

I've never heard of this happening. Although you can look forward to peeing like a sprinkler system for a few months  :o
  •  

AnonyMs

Quote from: Rejennyrated on May 28, 2016, 03:03:23 AM
19% is way too high - if you said 0.19% or nearly 2 in 1000 that is nearer the correct figure, so it may just be a typo. It does happen even in medical journals.

Do also be aware that there is a lot of junk out there that looks like proper peer reviewed studies but actually isnt, and on investigation turns out to have been published by biased medical groups with an agenda to push.

The risk of vagino-vesicular, and recto-vaginal fistula was greater in older times due to the use of scalpels as oposed to modern electro-cautery cutting instruments. Using modern instruments and laparoscopic imaging we can do much finer work in theatres now, with less risks of accidental damage.

So yes there is a risk, and you should never forget that even at 2 in 1000 you might be one of the unlucky ones, but its not as high as you have read.

I've heard of recto-vaginal fistula occurring a number of times (including just recently), but not vagino-vesicular. 1 or 2 in 1000 sounds about right at well.
  •  

SophiaW

So, if you are unlucky enough to be that 1 or 2 in a 1000, can it be rectified and cured by another operation, or is it something you have to live with and regret?

Sprinkling system for a few months, with peeing?
Does that mean it does get better, and in a single stream, given time?

Just looking at all the options here :)
  •  

AnonyMs

I don't think this is what people normally mean by incontinence, but whatever.

Just search the names of some surgeons and fistula. You'll get some hits.

Here's one
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=111034.5

I know of another surgeon that had a couple that I believe were successfully repaired.

This is definitely were you want to make sure your surgeon is good about looking after you.
  •  

anjaq

I know a couple of stories like that from 15 years ago, I assume the risk is lower nowadays. Back then it was a risk, just like a colon fistula. If it is a fistula, they can probably be closed, but it can be a  lot of effort - I know colon-vaginal fistulas cannot always be closed or sometimes it takes a very long time. I had one of those and it took almost half a year for it to completely heal.

Incontinence can have several origins. It can be a fistula, but more likely it is a weakening of the muscles in the lower belly. A suregeon might cut a muscle or nerves controlling muscles, so some people cannot "hold" the pee anymore. I know of about 2 or 3 cases like that who had surgery in the past 5 years. They sadly have to rely on incontinence products. Another possibility is a weakening of the muscles by the surgery - or a weakening of the muscles by hormone therapy. In that case you have no permanent flow but just are more likely to loose some drops or have to run to the loo more often (not a good thing if you are in the wrong state nowadays, I guess). The latter is what is affecting me now. I had the surgery a long time ago, but probably due to a deficient hormone therapy and maybe some late surgical effects, I just am a bit weak there and prefer to be not too far from a bathroom - or I just drink less when I know I want to go to the cinema and have to sit for 2 hours. Its not really bad though - Other women in my age group can develop this too.

I do not think 19% is accurate. I would think maybe 1% or less for the severe version any maybe a bit more for a mild version. Where do these numbers come from?

•  

pretty pauline

Quote from: AnonyMs on June 05, 2016, 03:17:01 AM
I don't think this is what people normally mean by incontinence, but whatever.

Just search the names of some surgeons and fistula. You'll get some hits.

Here's one
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=111034.5

Here's another link in which I posted my own experience, I suffered some incontinence but I had my surgery 30 years ago, things are now better.  https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,80571.msg561746.html#msg561746  I've always found it's ether very rare or people are just embarrassed to discuss or admit it, it got better over time but when I had the guy equipment I could hold it forever, now I can't hold for long periods, but such is life, my hubby sometimes find it amusing, he just thinks it's a ''woman thing'' girls spending a lot of time in the ladies room fixing hair and touching up makeup, but some of us still go in to pee, I've had a few accidents over the year, but not a major problem now.
If your going thru hell, just keep going.
  •  

ApplesnBananas

Sorry to revive an old thread but the question fits. About 6 days ago my catheter was removed, peeing is fine just works.

Anyway I have one issue I notice straight away, and not sure if the nurse that visits understands my query 100% but after I pee I'll be putting my panties back on, and when I lift my leg up I'll have an additional drip slide down it. Sometimes I'll drip like that a bit more but seemingly only after i pee. I may leak in my sleep as well but the stain on the bed is small and I cant really determine if it happened sometime after I peed or in my sleep.

Is this an issue that someone has had? And does it normally resolve itself with time?
  •  

Gail20

There are practices that emphasize working on the pelvic floor.  Lots of women experience issues with this so there are Gynecologists and Massage Therapist practices that work on restoring strength and control in theses areas. Point being, that if you have difficulties in this area, there is hope for restoring them.
"friends speak for you when you can't speak for yourself" :)
  •  

TransParkie

Quote from: ApplesnBananas on April 07, 2019, 12:18:51 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread but the question fits. About 6 days ago my catheter was removed, peeing is fine just works.

Anyway I have one issue I notice straight away, and not sure if the nurse that visits understands my query 100% but after I pee I'll be putting my panties back on, and when I lift my leg up I'll have an additional drip slide down it. Sometimes I'll drip like that a bit more but seemingly only after i pee. I may leak in my sleep as well but the stain on the bed is small and I cant really determine if it happened sometime after I peed or in my sleep.

Is this an issue that someone has had? And does it normally resolve itself with time?

Hi, I have the same problem..... After I finish peeing, and wipe, if I get up immediately? My bladder on occasion seems to allow more urine to flow.... sometimes, maybe a teaspoons worth, sometimes a tablespoons worth, and other times?? a much more significant amount.... So what I do normally, is to wait to wipe until after I've sat there a couple more minutes allowing my bladder to relax, this normally allows the rest of the urine in my bladder to flow out. Then I go ahead and wipe, and finish... This works about 80% of the time..... Here's the clincher... This may? or may not have anything to do with your GRS..... I would seriously make yourself an appointment with a good Urologist.... that can do a post voiding Ultrasound.. to see how much urine is left in your bladder.... You see? I've had this problem off and on for several years, before and after my GRS, and when it gets bad?? I have a supply of catheters to use to drain my bladder manually.... All because I have what's called a Neurogenic Bladder... For me?? this is due to my Parkinson's Disease.... (A whole different story... giggle). Regardless, you need to talk to a good Urologist.... and find out the reason.....  Let me tell you, not having a penis? makes  things a whole lot easier... Back before my GRS last Oct. 31st?? when I still had a penis?? I'd finish peeing?? and put my penis away, then the extra would suddenly drain? Making it look like I had just peed my pants.....grumblegrumble..... Sitting to pee?? is so very much easier...... giggle..
  •