Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Would you Orchie or wait for SRS?

Started by Richenda, June 17, 2016, 10:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richenda

Hi gorgeous girls,

I'm booked for my orchiectomy end of July. Yippee!

However ... yesterday my therapist did pose the question as to why I wasn't going for the full SRS. I lined up my arguments:

1. Can't afford the real deal right now
2. It's a step
3. It'll cut out AA's whilst I await full SRS

However, his question did cause me to re-check the costs. Basically my orchiectomy is nearly 50% of the price of full SRS. Which kind of got me thinking! It may be that I can get a discount on the SRS because of the orchiectomy: I shall make a point of asking.

I'm very keen to have my orchie but it did make me wonder slightly. I probably can't rustle up the c $9000 for a while: maybe 2 years. But it's got me thinking.

What would you do? :)
  •  

Dena

I don't know. When I had my surgery the price was right around that number and I had a $300 limit on my credit card. Today my credit card would cover the full cost with room to spare. Though I try never to run a balance from one month to the next, I might be willing to for something like that.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

kaitylynn

I considered an orchiectomy for a long time.  I was close to going that route a decade ago until I read about the skin atrophy of the scrotum would make labiaplasty more difficult and so I chose to hold off.

The AA I am using has proven very effective, so I cannot think of a reason to not hold off for that purpose.
Katherine Lynn M.

You've got a light that always guides you.
You speak of hope and change as something good.
Live your truth and know you're not alone.

The restart - 20-Oct-2015
Legal name and gender change affirmed - 27-Sep-2016
Breast Augmentation (Dr. Gupta) - 27-Aug-2018
  •  

AnonyMs

I think I'd wait. On the other hand if you have to go back to the UK before getting SRS there may be some advantage getting the orchi, as it should allow you to cut though the NHS bs.
  •  

Richenda

That's an interesting and good point AnonyMs. Do you mean in the sense of, 'look I have no testicles now do you take me seriously?' Or that it might speed up full NHS SRS surgery?

I sometimes forget that I'm still in the GiC system  :P
  •  

Richenda

Kaity, good point. My decision is influenced by my problems with AA's :(
  •  

Laura_Squirrel

I went ahead, had the orchi done several years ago and called it a day. Insurance covered most of it. I only had to pay $1100.
  •  

Richenda

Hi Laura. By 'called it a day' you mean you didn't go any further with surgery after that?

Can I ask how you found the experience? Both the op and the after-effects? Has it meant no more anti-androgens and a lower oestrogen intake?
  •  

Laura_Squirrel

Quote from: Richenda on June 18, 2016, 01:24:31 AM
Hi Laura. By 'called it a day' you mean you didn't go any further with surgery after that?

Can I ask how you found the experience? Both the op and the after-effects? Has it meant no more anti-androgens and a lower oestrogen intake?

Yes. Once I had the orchi, that was that. I had always assumed that I would have GRS. But, once I factored in all of the associated costs, it was going to be so expensive, I would probably keep chasing it, financially speaking. But, once I saw how expensive it was going to be. I was severely depressed for a few days. After that, I got to work on finding someone that would perform the orchi. I found a doc in a nearby city that was in my insurance network.

The op itself I can't actually comment on since they put me out. But, I remember once I woke up, I was in this crazy emotional tailspin. I think that it was just from the E and T balance being thrown off like that. The recovery process was a piece of cake. (By comparison, my recovery from getting my tonsils removed, was much more rough. Ironically enough, I had my tonsils taken out exactly one year after the orchi and at the same hospital.) I just relaxed with rotating bags of frozen peas on my crotch.  :D The only thing that I actually hated about the recovery was the fact that I couldn't lift anything over 2 pounds (or something like that). So, I had to send other people to the store to get my groceries. That got on my nerves since I couldn't take care of it myself.

Yeah, I stopped taking Spiro. Then, thanks to some dumb quacks at an internal medicine clinic that I was going to, my dosage levels went up to twice, then half of my original dose. Once I was hooked up with a endo again. We went back to the original dose and everything has been fine. But, dosage levels are different for many people.
  •  

AnonyMs

Quote from: Richenda on June 18, 2016, 12:35:14 AM
That's an interesting and good point AnonyMs. Do you mean in the sense of, 'look I have no testicles now do you take me seriously?' Or that it might speed up full NHS SRS surgery?

I guess you'll only find out when you get back, but you will at the very least need HRT for very sound medical reasons - you'll get osteoporosis if you don't.

Regarding the AA's I did without them for years. I didn't get particularly good development, but I did feel good.
  •  

mac1

What could I use for a valid medical reason to get my testicles removed by a reputable urologist and have it covered by my medical insurance?
?
  •  

Richenda

I can't answer re. the insurance side of it mac but reasons non MtF's have orchiectomies, aside from sexual kinks (seriously) include:

testicular cancer
prostate cancer
enlarged prostate or familial risk history
sexual predators who need reduced sex drive

If you wish to transition male to female won't insurance cover an orchiectomy for the right reasons i.e. your need to transition? That's the honest answer too from what you've written.
  •  

FrancisAnn

That seems expensive for a simple procedure? 1/2 of the cost for a GRS. Maybe check with other docs. But I'd just get rid of the nasty things....life will be much easier...... I've had a facelift, lipo, tummy tuck...20K of surgery, prices vary widely with different docs.
mtF, mid 50's, always a girl since childhood, HRT (Spiro, E & Fin.) since 8-13. Hormone levels are t at 12 & estrogen at 186. Face lift & eye lid surgery in 2014. Abdominoplasty/tummy tuck & some facial surgery May, 2015. Life is good for me. Love long nails & handsome men! Hopeful for my GRS & a nice normal depth vagina maybe by late summer. 5' 8", 180 pounds, 14 dress size, size 9.5 shoes. I'm kind of an elegant woman & like everything pink, nice & neet. Love my nails & classic Revlon Red. Moving back to Florida, so excited but so much work moving
  •  

Richenda

I agree it is compared with full GRS. Safety and quality matters to me though so I want to go to PAI even though it's $700 more than, say, Chet. I'm hoping I can persuade them to discount me the full GRS if I have the bilateral orchiectomy with them first. I can be persuasive sometimes so will give it a whirl ;)  They ought to really as it's part of the GRS procedure.

The trouble is, it just got me wondering if I should save for the full works. Sigh.

I guess the thing is that I can have the orchie now and see if the British NHS will give me full GRS, for free within a couple of years. If not, then PAI will do the rest. I'd love to have ffs and BA with them too. I've seen some stunning results.

p.s. I love your nails :)
  •  

FrancisAnn

Keelee MacPhee, M. D. in Raleigh NC is a new name plastic surgeon. She has been very nice to me & very reasonable compared to other docs.
mtF, mid 50's, always a girl since childhood, HRT (Spiro, E & Fin.) since 8-13. Hormone levels are t at 12 & estrogen at 186. Face lift & eye lid surgery in 2014. Abdominoplasty/tummy tuck & some facial surgery May, 2015. Life is good for me. Love long nails & handsome men! Hopeful for my GRS & a nice normal depth vagina maybe by late summer. 5' 8", 180 pounds, 14 dress size, size 9.5 shoes. I'm kind of an elegant woman & like everything pink, nice & neet. Love my nails & classic Revlon Red. Moving back to Florida, so excited but so much work moving
  •  

FrancisAnn

I have debated the same issue, since I have been stuck with the damn things this long I'll wait for my complete GRS but I know you & I will feel better with them gone!  Good luck girl friend.
  •  

FrancisAnn

Please do not be afraid to negotiate with these doc's some they are just people like me & you. They are not gods. If I were you I'd complete everything for a nice hopeful deep vagina, heal up then enjoy a good long life as a nice woman.....Wish I were as young as you.....you will do fine. Proud of you.
  •  

Richenda

Awww I love that. Great, inspirational, words. Thank you x
  •  

FrancisAnn

Quote from: Richenda on June 18, 2016, 11:43:54 PM
Awww I love that. Great, inspirational, words. Thank you x
You will do fine, nervous before the surgery I sure know that deal but afterwards each day will be better as you heal up. I hope for your sake you complete all the surgery, GRS to get it behind you if you can afford it. Good luck GF.
  •