Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Here’s what happens when schools let transgender students use the bathroom they

Started by traci_k, June 21, 2016, 06:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traci_k

Here's what happens when schools let transgender students use the bathroom they want

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article84797527.html

The Bellingham Herald

By Curtis Tate, Megan Henney, John Tompkins and Eleanor Mueller
McClatchy Washington Bureau
June 20, 2016

WASHINGTON

At least once a day, Pam Retzlaff answered a call from parents concerned about her decision to allow a transgender student at Edgar Road Elementary School to use a bathroom different from his biological gender.

"It was hard in the beginning, very hard," she said. "You can imagine my first open house. I had more parents in my office than ever before."

It was new territory for Retzlaff, then principal of the school in Webster Groves, Missouri, a St. Louis suburb, but it was never a question of whether she would or wouldn't open the bathroom.

And as time passed, the calls slowly began to subside, going from once a day, to once a week, to once a month
So what happens when transgender children use the bathroom that matches their gender identity? Not much. Life goes on and becomes normalized. Except where politicians and parents go all gaga, it pretty much becomes a non-issue - as it should be.
Traci Melissa Knight
  •