Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

I need help understanding this.

Started by KarlMars, July 09, 2016, 11:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarlMars

I hear that in my state and others it's legal to discriminate against people who are LGBT, such as firing them or throwing them out of their apartment. On the other hand I also hear that the law from the 60s that made discrimination against gender and race illegal also covers LGBT people too. Please explain this to me.

Dena

Your understanding of the law is incorrect. LGBT hasn't been on the radar of the government until recently. The 1960 law refers to race and the primary point of the law was for the black race but others were included. In the 70's and 80's I may have lost two jobs as the result of my gender status but there was no point it fighting it because the law wasn't on my side. Even today, we don't have full protection as the bathroom bills would be a violation of our rights. In some of the bathroom bills, I would have to use the mens bathroom because my birth certificate hasn't been updated but yet I had surgery in 1982.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

KarlMars

Quote from: Dena on July 09, 2016, 11:28:16 PM
Your understanding of the law is incorrect. LGBT hasn't been on the radar of the government until recently. The 1960 law refers to race and the primary point of the law was for the black race but others were included. In the 70's and 80's I may have lost two jobs as the result of my gender status but there was no point it fighting it because the law wasn't on my side. Even today, we don't have full protection as the bathroom bills would be a violation of our rights. In some of the bathroom bills, I would have to use the mens bathroom because my birth certificate hasn't been updated but yet I had surgery in 1982.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have just read various articles stating that both are true and I guess the people commenting don't always know the law either. It confused me.

Lady Sarah

In some places, one may be terminated from employment, denied access to certain places, etc... because one may "make others uncomfortable". You may wish to check your local statutes.

After my orchiectomy, I got all my documents legally changed through the courts. There have been a few that thought my 5' 10" height made them uncomfortable ... but that was un-actionable.

As for employment, the State of Texas has a statute that dictates that employers do not have to give an explanation for termination.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •