Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Wigs.

Started by supergirl23, July 21, 2016, 10:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supergirl23

So after months of growing my hair out, I had to let it go today. So my question is, how do I buy a wig?
  •  

Dena

The best way to buy a wig is to search out a local wig shop, set up an appointment and receive a proper fitting. The wigs may be a bit more expensive but you will get something you will like and that will last a long time.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

EmilyMK03

Totally agree with Dena here.  It's difficult to know what wig will look good on you until you try it out.  And you can only do that at a local wig shop.

The employees there can give you recommendations on which wigs will suit your face shape.  And then you can try on all sorts of wigs until you find the one you like.  They can assist you with trimming the bangs on the wig too, if that's what you need.
  •  

supergirl23

What if there is not a wig shop near me, would I order online?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Confetti

Quote from: supergirl23 on July 22, 2016, 03:34:24 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! Amazon are great, and there are plenty of online wig shops.
For your first wig I would recommend getting a Synthetic wig rather than human hair as they are a LOT  cheaper than real human hair. It's also best to get a 'lace front wig'. These have a much more realistic hairline and parting than look like they are growing out of your scalp.
Youtube has thousands of wig reviews - I normally start with 'lace front wig reviews' with links and discount codes in the descriptions!
  •  

Lyric

Quote from: supergirl23 on July 22, 2016, 03:34:24 AM

I've been buying and wearing wigs since the '80s and know a lot about them. First off, from what you've said, you obviously know little or nothing about wigs and wig wearing, so I would avoid buying online if at all possible. It's very tricky to choose the right wig for yourself and most wigs need to be trimmed and styled at least a bit before they are at all wearable as anything other than a funny looking hat. If you must buy online, have plenty of money ready and be prepared to buy at least 2-3 wigs before you get one that's satisfactory. And do lots of research. There are tons of good YouTube videos on wig styling.

So, in my opinion, you'll probably save yourself a lot of money, grief and time if you find a way to travel to the nearest good wig store.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •