Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Anybody into Dolls?

Started by Rosemary, July 19, 2016, 06:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosemary

I've been thinking I'd like to make clothes for a doll, but I don't own any. Yet. So have any of you done this? What would be a good doll to start with? Preferably that isn't extremely expensive. Thanks...
Trying to hide my girliness less every day.
  •  

ToniB

Hi rosemary We are into The laura ashton reborn Dolls .They are so lifelike and cuddly .They can be bought on eBay quite reasonably . They are perfect for dressing up as they are the right size and weight for the age they portray .So any patterns for both knitting or sewing your own clothes will fit well . Plus there is nothing nicer than sitting watching the box with a baby cuddled up to you

Hugs Toni
The girl inside is just as important expecially to Yourself :)
  •  

Ms Grace

I guess it depends on the type of doll you are into. A gay cis make friend of mine is totally into dolls, especially the glamour fashion lady dolls, standing about 12" (I know, go figure, right?). He has even made and sold some of his own models of fashion dolls. A friend of his does the fashion/clothing design for each model and someone else does the actual manufacturing of the clothes. I'm not sure if it is a bit of a sweat shop effort or just the one person, but I can ask my friend for details if you like.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Xirafel

For a decade, I've picked up pens and pencils and pretended that they're dolls.
I don't have any.
  •  

Raell

I used to make dolls and stuffed animals for my daughter, with matching clothing for both.

Back then, I'd glean patterns out of old craft magazines, then alter them to fit my notions, or design my own stuff. I made overalls, pants, dresses, bonnets, bloomers, hair accessories, etc.
My children started designing and sewing their own clothes and toys at five (daughter) and eight (son) years old, so wanted to make their own stuff.

But now you can download patterns and ideas from the internet to adapt to your needs.

You can buy dolls cheaply at resale places, on Craigslist, from big discount stores, etc.

Or just buy an off-brand doll that copies a popular doll.
  •  

Alora

Well that depends... are we classifying stuffed animals as dolls? I have come very special stuffed animals that even at 35 I won't get rid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Lyric

I've always enjoyed making things of all sorts and a few years ago I discovered the large category of eBay where people sell "OOAK" (one of a kind) original works. I've been making dollhouse scale miniature furnishings that I sometimes sell them there and on Etsy ever since. I haven't checked out people who make clothing in particular, but I'm sure if you search around eBay's huge Dolls category awhile you will learn a lot about this market.

I enjoy polymer clay sculpting and there are a number of artists on eBay who regularly sell entire handmade dolls ("fairy" and "baby" dolls are the most popular), many of which have handmade clothing as well. I suspect if you made clothes that would fit 1/12 scale figures there would be plenty of interest.

The most popular doll, of course is the Mattel Barbie and there are many people making custom clothes for adult Barbie collectors to buy. A bit of web searching will show you what's going on there.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

DawnOday

http://imgur.com/lILy8Z9

This is what my Granny used to make. The body is a bottle filled with sand which serves as a door stop. Pretty easy for her because she was a seamstress. You can get the doll heads at a hobby shop like Michaels. The little hands too.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•