Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What did you wear right after SRS

Started by CrysC, August 03, 2016, 09:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrysC

I'm starting to put some thought into what I will wear when I get out of the hospital.  They say to wear loose clothes, which isn't my normal style. 
This matters more to below the waist.  I was thinking of skirts for the most part but what did you girls wear that went through this?  I will be in San Fran in the first week of Sept so it will be warm.  Normally I would have worn shorts but that won't work after SRS for a few weeks it seems.

thoughts?
  •  

Dena

Warm in San Francisco? Ok! Before surgery I traveled and then the next day after a doctors appointment, I went directly to the hospital. After they let me out I was traveling again so a skirt was dressy enough in those days. I would suggest cotton underwear and a skirt or lose fitting pair of shorts or pants. It would make little difference while you are standing but when you sit you don't want anything binding down there. Should you be unlucky enough to have bathroom difficulties, the extra room will come in handy to conceal the extra plumbing.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

TinaVane

Maxi dresses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C'est Si Bon
  •  

Serenation

i wore yogapants and track pants in the hospital and for a bit afterwards before I was comfortable wearing jeans again, was winter for me though.
I will touch a 100 flowers and not pick one.
  •  

jujubes1986

Quote from: CrysC on August 03, 2016, 09:24:33 PM
I'm starting to put some thought into what I will wear when I get out of the hospital.  They say to wear loose clothes, which isn't my normal style. 
This matters more to below the waist.  I was thinking of skirts for the most part but what did you girls wear that went through this?  I will be in San Fran in the first week of Sept so it will be warm.  Normally I would have worn shorts but that won't work after SRS for a few weeks it seems.

thoughts?

I wish I could wear a dress but my srs will be in October

[/url]
  •  

V

I was in Thailand so it was very hot and humid (well, for a UK girl!)
So I had some loose fitting summer dresses, that were about knee length. These were fine.
Trousers or pants were definitely out for a while, definitely with a panty pad the size of the Titanic between my legs!  :D
  •  

karenpayneoregon

My surgery was in January, in California. I wore leggings going in, out of the hospital wore a comfortable dress.
When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be."
-Julia Glass, Three Junes

GCS 2015, age 58
  •  

Jenna Marie

I actually wore loose shorts or very very oversized sweatpants for the week in the recovery residence (when I wasn't in just a bathrobe lounging around my room). For the trip home, I had a special huge black skirt that I didn't mind ruining with blood or whatever (although it was fine in the end, and I still have it). It was a little hard to bend over to pull up pants/shorts, but I could manage it.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's not just about not putting pressure on the area - I was shocked at how HUGE the bandages and absorbent pads were. It was seriously like gaining at least 2 pants sizes just to fit all that stuff for the first couple of days, and at least a size up to fit the giant pads even after the packing etc. came out.
  •  

KrisAvery1969

I wore a dress home from the hospital as I transferred to the place I recovered at... Then during the 2-3 hour outings I switched between yoga pants and jeans.   Going home at the airports it was definitely jeans at day 16 I think.   They were the Maurices easy flex jeans though.

I found SFO area cold July 19th-August 6th this year.
  •  

CrysC

Quote from: KrisAvery1969 on August 12, 2016, 04:57:50 PM
I wore a dress home from the hospital as I transferred to the place I recovered at... Then during the 2-3 hour outings I switched between yoga pants and jeans.   Going home at the airports it was definitely jeans at day 16 I think.   They were the Maurices easy flex jeans though.

I found SFO area cold July 19th-August 6th this year.

Good tip on the temperature.  It shouldn't be any warmer in early September.  I'm impressed the jeans were viable so soon. 
I'm looking to bring skirts and dresses for the most part.

Looking forward to being able to wear yoga pants though  :-) 
I may buy some now just because. 
Nothing tells the truth like yoga pants....
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: CrysC on August 12, 2016, 08:20:01 PM
Good tip on the temperature.  It shouldn't be any warmer in early September.  I'm impressed the jeans were viable so soon. 
I'm looking to bring skirts and dresses for the most part.

In San Francisco proper, September tends to be the warmest month.  However, that doesn't mean much. That gets you on average highs around 70 and lows around 55.  We've had hot spells of 3-4 days with temperatures in the 80s.  That causes locals to melt, and block long lines to form at the Bi-Rite for moon pies and cones.  :laugh:

A typical day starts out overcast with 'high fog', temps 55-60. This may break up mid-day, when temperature spikes upward.  Mid-late afternoon the high fog rolls back in, and it cools off again.  Dressing in layers is strongly recommended.

Tourists are easy to spot.  They're the ones wearing shorts and brand new "I Love San Francisco" sweatshirts.  ;D

Best of luck with the medical work!
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

tgirlamg

Hospital granny panties with maxi pad for bleeding and a long hippy girl long skirt... This look works well for the post op appointment when you have the pee bag lashed to your leg!
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

shellsters

Quote from: tgirlamc on August 13, 2016, 08:01:08 PM
Hospital granny panties with maxi pad for bleeding and a long hippy girl long skirt... This look works well for the post op appointment when you have the pee bag lashed to your leg!

That's what I'm bringing all skirts and dresses. I've been wearing more to get ready. I never wore dresses much, skirts some, but since wearing them more..... I like them! Will be really nice to go underwear less!!  :o :o

I do plan on bringing leggings and yoga pants (my go too's!) Not sure though if they will be too restricting??
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: shellsters on August 19, 2016, 11:38:54 AM
I do plan on bringing leggings and yoga pants (my go too's!) Not sure though if they will be too restricting??

Remember that you are going to have an indwelling Foley urinary catheter, a hose coming out of your new lady bits, with an anchor pad likely glued to your thigh and a hose from that to a drainage bag, either loose or strapped to the leg.   Anything restrictive around the groin won't work.  The old granny panties have plenty of room to get the hose out, and a maxi dress covers the bag strapped to the leg.

No SRS coming up, but I've had Foley catheters installed before, and alas will have one in me after a surgery in one week.  (I have to go get my EKG shortly, probably while presenting as male.  :P "Open your shirt, please."  Um...  Okay...   ;D )
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

tgirlamg

I forgot to mention... Dr Bowers also recommended having a pair of tight panties to wear in case of excessive swelling... Which I had..They can help! Something like tight yoga shorts could work well too...

Onward We Go!!!

Ashley :)
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

CrysC

Yep.  Tight panties, panties you don't mind getting messy, loose clothes that you don't mind getting messy and loose clothes in general. 
Skirts and dresses sound like my best bet while going out afterwards and pajama bottoms around the room. 

Sounds like an excuse to go shopping  :-)
  •  

CynthiaAnn

I wore a loose fitting maxi skirt/top, sandals, and granny panties leaving the hospital (Mills Peninsula) it was summer time for me, and I wanted loose fitting closes. I mostly wore skirts while recovering and being in public, I had a oversized "sleep shirt" I slept in. I wore a maxi dress going home on the plane.

Cynthia -
  •  

Rachel

Hi, I was local to the hospital and Doctor. So I wore sweat pants leaving the hospital and to the doctors. I think I lived in 4 or 5 different sweat pants. When I went back to work 3.5 weeks later I wore dress pants.

I purchased underwear for the occasion that were full coverage.

I used maxi pads large and medium.  I needed underwear support. Definitely get wings.

Make sure to put gauze under the catheter line if it is near the clitoris. You do not want a rubber line with a bit of pressure on flesh.

HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •