Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Cult Classics We Love

Started by V M, September 10, 2016, 05:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V M

The other night I was watching the original MAD MAX with Mel Gibson and marveled at how young and original he was

Ah, there is nothing like the original, sure there are films that have sequels that are almost just as thrilling, but how often do you watch a sequel of a film and think "Yeesh!!! How much cheese can they throw on this one?"

So what are some of your favorite Cult Classic films? 
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Rachel_Christina

I just watched the Origional Mad Max again last weekend ha.
Titanic if you wana cry, something about the eariness of it just gives me chills, so sad too, cry every time.
Scarface too is insane, pretty much anything Tarantino is amasing.
Funny what you said about the sequels usually being crap, I love the second Terminator, more than the first.
Die hard become >-bleeped-<e as it goes on.
Braveheart is also a classic I love, alot people cry about the factuality of it all, it is a film in the end of the day.
Thers tones more I cant remember

•  

Dayta

I just dragged my wife through "The Blood of Heroes," with Rutger Hauer, her first, probably my 10th viewing. 
She almost took away my lifetime movie selection privilege after "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir," which is kind of achingly sad but oh so delicious.  (Who doesn't love Rex Harrison?) 

L

•  

jendawn47

for me it is the old rocky horror picture show used to love to go to the theatre at midnight when i was in college to enjoy that classic.  i do miss those days some of my earliest going out dressed.  have a good day

jennifer
  •  

V M

Speaking of Rutger Hauer, Who here remembers Blade Runner with Harrison Ford? Now there's one for the books

Ah yes, loved the Rocky Horror Picture Show, people dressing up and acting out the parts - The food fights would get a bit crazy though

Does anyone remember The Ghost and Mr. Chicken with Don Knotts?
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Drexy/Drex

Blade runner ..iconic
For a "for a few dollars more " with clint eastwood and lee van cleef "
Or ultra cult "  a clockwork orange "
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Dayta

Quote from: V M on September 10, 2016, 06:00:48 PM

I've never seen it, but I've seen "The Incredible Mr. Limpet" about a hundred times! 

L

•  

Drexy/Drex

Dark star john Carpenters first film
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

kittenpower

Quote from: Dayta on September 10, 2016, 06:50:07 PM
I've never seen it, but I've seen "The Incredible Mr. Limpet" about a hundred times! 

L
I love Don Knotts movies; my favorite is The Love God, and a trans actress plays the part of one of his "bunny" companions.
  •  

Mal

Yes, I actually watched it again not long ago. It's one of my favorite Don Knotts movies.

I like Lost Boys, Fight Club, and Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

•  

Drexy/Drex

Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

V M

Strangely enough, I discovered The Ghost and Mr. Chicken when I was home sick from school as a child and noticed it would almost always be on when I was out sick

I would be laying on the couch trippin' on flu med.s and watching all kinds of reruns

- V M
  •  

Drexy/Drex

Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

V M

Stand By Me 

Staring Wil Wheaton as Gordie Lachance, River Phoenix as Chris Chambers, Corey Feldman as Teddy Duchamp and Jerry O'Connell as Vern Tessio with
Kiefer Sutherland as John "Ace" Merrill, gang leader

Narrated by Richard Dreyfuss

- V M
  •  

Steph Eigen

Zardoz.  It is a little known futuristic dystopian film starring Sean Connery and Charlotte Rampling from the 70's shot in beautiful rural Scotland.  It's one of my favorite movies.  Few people know of it but it does have a cult following.  You can buy it on Amazon in DVD format.

Also, anything by Stanley Kubrick.  2001: A Space Odyssey and Dr. Stangelove are my absolute favorites.

Something that touches a theme of struggle with the world and its often unfair treatment of those who are different.  Werner Herzog made a number of films that I like.   My favorite, commonly known as "Enigma of Kaspar Hauser" but actual title in German, Jeder für sich und Gott gegen alle; lit. Each for Himself and God Against All. It is a very beautiful film set in the 19th century depicting the attempted socialization of a wild child starting in his mid 20's and all the comedy and eventual horrors that follow. 

Earth vs. the Flying Scaucers, The Day the Earth Stood Still; SciFi classics from the 50's.

Older films:  Casa Blanca,  The Big Sleep and almost anything else featuring Bogie.

And lots more...
  •  

Angela Drakken

(Sorry in advance for the necro.)

Speaking of Rutger Hauer, Who here remembers Blade Runner with Harrison Ford? Now there's one for the books
I LOVED Blade Runner, still not sure how I feel about there soon being a sequel, I genuinely felt for the replicants though Y.Y

Ah yes, loved the Rocky Horror Picture Show, people dressing up and acting out the parts - The food fights would get a bit crazy though

They did the same thing in Toronto for REPO! The Genetic Opera when that came out. I even ended up making a few costumes for people to attend various shadow casts from Toronto to Texas. Good times. ^.^

Lately I've been on a huge kick for silly horror comedies form New Zealand like What We Do In The Shadows and Housebound.

As for classic cult films, I still ADORE the Mad Max series (hence custom title) Ridley Scott's LEGEND (inspired the video game series Legend of Zelda :3 ) American Psycho, The Crow, The Boondock Saints series <3 Gee I could go on forever..
  •  

CrystalMatthews0426

I LOVE Repo the Genetic Opera. I used to play Nathan/Repo Man in my local shadowcast... I spent a lot of money on that costume to make it screen accurate as possible. I miss that part. We just started bringing Repo back to Long Island, sadly my friend who directs is dead set on playing Repo himself, so I'm only an extra for now, but I do get to be the Band Leader at the start of the Opera towards the end, so I get to jump around like a maniac and have some fun.
- Crystal

"Beauty isn't about having a pretty face. Beauty is about having a pretty mind, a pretty heart, and most importantly, a beautiful soul."

•  

CrystalMatthews0426

Oops, hit post too quickly. I also am madly in love with Rocky Horror, I'm involved in a Rocky Horror shadowcast as well, playing the Criminologist for now, although I always wanted to play Eddie in the past. Now I think it would be more fun to be Frank.
- Crystal

"Beauty isn't about having a pretty face. Beauty is about having a pretty mind, a pretty heart, and most importantly, a beautiful soul."

•  

MistressStevie

I agree that Blade Runner, Nearly everything by Kubrkick, and wow a couple shout outs for the positive mention of Repo The Genetic Opera, which are superb examples of the art of movie making. 

I just finished re-watching David Lynch's Mulholland Drive from 2001 in an attempt to figure out how many story lines he could have included.  I am still not sure how many are intended or imagined. 

Sunset Boulevard from 1950 is still amazing every time I re-watch it.   

I may have a bit of Noir film preference. 
  •  

Cindy

Mmmm another nice topic!

I've been a little under the weather and I watched Clint Eastwood in: High Plain Drifter, Pale Rider, A Fist full of Dollars, A Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Some nasty scenes as I realised how movies (and I have changed) the gratuitous rape in HPD and the ignorance of what it meant was disturbing, but I may have missed the point, it is a hard film to decipher at times.

The message that guns cure everything - but not in TGTB&TU - I think that is probably the best film of the Western genre I have seen.

Eastwood is a good director and a bad actor!

•