Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Can trans people become cops?

Started by Blackwaters427, September 23, 2016, 01:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackwaters427

I know that the military is letting trans people in, but since that's not an option due to my Tourette's syndrome and Asperger's syndrome (both are mild cases and wouldn't affect my work), would a municipal police department/sheriff's department, highway patrol, or the FBI let trans people join? And if so are there any restrictions?
Begin drifting, defy the laws of gravity
Stare at the sun, challenging all reality
The glass door to my soul is shattering
The bridges to my past are collapsing
I feel new energy, This is my quickening
Transcending to a new dimension

Fire From the Gods - "End Transmission"

•  

Cindy

We have several members who are in the USA police.
  •  

mszoey

A good friend of mine is doing a bit of a doc on a trans police. And that is my future goal to become one. So yes trans people can become one for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackwaters427

Begin drifting, defy the laws of gravity
Stare at the sun, challenging all reality
The glass door to my soul is shattering
The bridges to my past are collapsing
I feel new energy, This is my quickening
Transcending to a new dimension

Fire From the Gods - "End Transmission"

•  

FTMax

I was one for a few years. There were no limitations for transgender officers at the department I was with. The issue some people have run into is that most departments have a lot of things that are determined by sex - restrooms/locker rooms and fitness standards as easy examples.

I worked for a major department on the east coast. We had a male locker room and a female locker room. There were no single use facilities in any police building I ever worked in. So if you're openly trans during academy training, you may have some uncomfortable shower situations. That typically lasts for 4-8 months depending on who you work for.

Fitness standards seemed to trip a few people up at my department in the past, mostly on the FTM end. You'd most likely be expected to meet the standards of the gender you identify with. So for FTMs, they would need to meet male fitness standards. These are often a lot more difficult than the female standards. They're doable, but difficult.

My advice would be to make a list of departments you'd want to work for and contact them directly to get advice about your specific case. Also - not wanting to rain on your parade, but just offering a reality check - despite the climate toward law enforcement in the US right now, law enforcement jobs are still very highly sought after and competition for openings is steep. For my department, 2/3 of my academy class was either prior military or had a Master's/PhD. So getting yourself in great physical shape and getting at least a Bachelor's degree is highly recommended.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

AnxietyDisord3r

They just had a sequence on NPR today (forget which show) profiling a cop who transitioned and partially detransitioned on the job (MTF). She volunteered to do LGBT outreach as a cop and was really well received.
  •  

deanna7506

Over the years I've met several police officers and at least one agent with a Federal agency who transitioned mtf. One thing I noticed is that they transitioned once they had the job.  I've only heard of individuals trying to get in after they transitioned. The applicants were submitting letters, etc from their doctors saying they were fit for duty.

As FTMax mentioned, in the past good agencies typically had to turn away individuals and it was competitive to get a slot. In the past, agencies were reluctant to hire someone who might be suseptable to blackmail. Times have changed. Agencies are having a tougher time finding quality applicants. The more you can make yourself valuable, the better your chances may be to get hired. 

Deanna
  •  

kaitylynn

The simple answer is, 'Yes'.  I know of two off that I have direct knowledge of and they work for large forces here in my area.  There is no reason that being trans will keep you from joining a police force.  You have to be able to pass the same rigorous background checks that every candidate must endure...it takes some serious dedication to make it through to the academies for formal training.  If you are physically able, you can get to the psychological portion of the process and from there it is background checking that will take time and is where most people usually get declined for a myriad of reasons.

I considered law enforcement again when I was transitioning in the 90's and figured that it would be a lot easier to be pretty far along in the process.  Name and gender change completion before applying would make life a lot easier than transitioning in place, IMO. 
Katherine Lynn M.

You've got a light that always guides you.
You speak of hope and change as something good.
Live your truth and know you're not alone.

The restart - 20-Oct-2015
Legal name and gender change affirmed - 27-Sep-2016
Breast Augmentation (Dr. Gupta) - 27-Aug-2018
  •