Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

An update on me...

Started by Michelle_P, October 15, 2016, 09:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle_P

Thanks, Rachel.  I just got my freebie birthday Starbucks treat, a grande skinny peppermint mocha.  Does that count?  :)

Jentay, love the new hair!  Nice!

Hey, I do have one interesting observation.  I've been full time, presenting as myself 24/7, for a month now.  While I was out cross-dressed as male, I felt something interesting.

Remember when you first went out in public dressed as yourself, against your assigned gender?  Remember the fear of discovery that went along, that made it so hard to step out the door, and had you scurrying about, head down, hoping nobody would clock you?

I had that feeling today while cross-dressed male, against my true identity.  Weird.  Does this mean I've internalized my true identity?

Sometimes we're the rat, and sometimes we're the maze...
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Sinclair

Quote from: Michelle_P on November 29, 2016, 08:54:08 PM
Thanks, Rachel.  I just got my freebie birthday Starbucks treat, a grande skinny peppermint mocha.  Does that count?  :)

Jentay, love the new hair!  Nice!

Hey, I do have one interesting observation.  I've been full time, presenting as myself 24/7, for a month now.  While I was out cross-dressed as male, I felt something interesting.

Remember when you first went out in public dressed as yourself, against your assigned gender?  Remember the fear of discovery that went along, that made it so hard to step out the door, and had you scurrying about, head down, hoping nobody would clock you?

I had that feeling today while cross-dressed male, against my true identity.  Weird.  Does this mean I've internalized my true identity?

Sometimes we're the rat, and sometimes we're the maze...

Sometimes, we figure it out and beat the maze.

I have seen enough progress in myself to change my identity here from Q to F. That's a big deal for me. It helps that I can't hide my breast growth anymore.:) I'm really happy with my progress. I feel content, and right in my place. I'm just a girl who finally solved the maze.
  •  

jentay1367

QuoteJentay, love the new hair!  Nice!

Thanks Michelle, you're sweet! Old hair but I got sick of looking at the same old tired pic when I log on so I took a few minutes to load a pic I'll probably get sick of looking at as well, soon enough.
     I really hope your problems slip away so you can get some peace of mind. I'm crossing my fingers for you for a speedy and mutually beneficial outcome. Stay positive!   Peace
  •  

josie76

Michelle I think it's a very good sign that if you have to have the social anxiety it comes from dressing like a man. I am going to find it a happy feeling when I reach that point in my life. ;) I'm sorry that you are still stuck in mediation. It sounds like your to-be-ex has a bit of growing to do.

Monica, thanks for the complement!
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•  

Sophia Sage

Quote from: Michelle_P on November 29, 2016, 08:54:08 PMSometimes we're the rat, and sometimes we're the maze...

Quote from: Sinclair on November 29, 2016, 10:52:01 PMSometimes, we figure it out and beat the maze.

Before one goes through the gate
one may not be aware there is a gate
One may think there is a gate to go through
and look a long time for it
without finding it

One may find it and
it may not open
If it opens one may be through it
As one goes through it
one sees that the gate one went through
was the self that went through it

no one went through a gate
there was no gate to go through
no one ever found a gate
no one ever realized there was never a gate

-- r.d. laing
What you look forward to has already come, but you do not recognize it.
  •  

Michelle_P

"I'm ridiculous to feel ridiculous when I'm not."  - R.D. Laing

;D  "Knots" is such a neat book.  A favorite used bookstore find of mine.

Honestly, the problems are not bothering me much.  The spouse-departing doesn't have any contact or communication with me outside of the lawyer's office, and I can support her clue-free lifestyle for a number of months, although she doesn't realize that just yet.  She really doesn't realize just how well-off she will be if she can just stop doing incredibly foolish things.

This past month, for example, she paid a housekeeper $350 to come in one single time to sweep, mop, and vacuum, a task that took me about 40 minutes weekly, but which is beyond her capabilities.  She spent one weekend in a hotel by a premium outlet center to do some shopping, 'saving' hundreds of dollars on a massive spending spree.  Dining out and the hotel stay cost more than her supposed 'savings.'

Her monthly budget includes $1,175 for gifts and entertainment, $700 for clothing, $750 for groceries, and so on.  She says she needs more.  ::)

Uh...  Dear, this is a no-fault divorce state.  The law is very clear on the division of assets.  You really, really don't want a divorce by trial.  Alimony from someone who hasn't had a job in 9 years is unlikely, but since you were working THIS year, I could ask for alimony from you.

As it is, she stands to get half of all our assets, including a fully paid for house.  There's no pension involved, so she desperately needs to develop some ability to stick within a budget, or plan on becoming a homeless 70-something.  :o

This is entirely her problem.  She refused to pay attention to finances, and has refused my offers of help.  Once the 'fiduciary responsibility' rules are struck next year, she's just so much chum in the water for the financial planner/sharks out there.  I feel sorry for her, but I can't be responsible for her inaction.

That's why I'm filing the protective court order requests to lock down the joint accounts. 

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
  •  

jentay1367

Quote'saving' hundreds of dollars

Ahhhhhhhh....the spend and save way to build a fortune.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Well, you know the old adage, "If you ain't smart, you better be tough". I hope she is.

QuoteOnce the 'fiduciary responsibility' rules are struck next year, she's just so much chum in the water for the financial planner/sharks out there.

When my mother died, she had her meager and entire portfolio with Meryl lynch. Her "Broker" had paid himself commissions over the five years she was with them. Her portfolio had decreased in that five year period roughly the amount that had been paid in commissions. He told us that we should leave the money there to avoid taxes and allow for "growth". I read him the riot act, took the money out and paid for her lavish funeral that roughly 25 people showed up for. A portion that appeared to be there for "the grub". You can't make this stuff up! Please feel free to relate this to the ex if for no other reason than "a cautionary tale". 
  •  

Michelle_P

After my whacky fun visit at the lawyer's office, the rest of the week has been downright calm. I managed to get my full 10,000 steps in Wednesday and Thursday, walking around downtown. Wednesday was a very calm day for me, just a little grocery shopping in the morning, and after lunch, a few hours of window shopping and strolling through some adjoining residential neighborhoods in search of likely looking condo developments.  I plan to move from renter to owner later in 2017.

Thursday I did a good bit of walking early in the day, discovering that the 'condos' on the west side are mostly nasty old converted apartments.  That doesn't explain the price tags.  They are closer to the BART (regional transit rail system) station, but YUCK!  Overpriced and under insulated.  I'll pass.

I treated myself to lunch Thursday, the local Panera Breads for my spicy Thai salad and hazelnut coffee.  (The coffee purists have just left the thread...)  After lunch, I caught the afternoon showing of "The Arrival."  Interesting SF film, not the usual stuff, but a thoughtful exploration of language and how it defines our world view.  (I liked the short story, and the film was a very nice adaptation.)

I headed home for dinner, and after dinner put on a warm coat and went out to take a peek at the official Christmas Tree Lighting Event (sponsored by the local high end chain store mall...). It was fun, actually.  Lots of parents towing small kids around, streets closed to cars, crazy amounts of foot traffic.  It was fun to see all of that and just be part of the crowd.

Friday, today, was fun on a smaller, more intimate basis.  I spent the morning playing with financial simulations and the past month's bank and credit card statements for my wife-departing. I think she's going to be financially OK.  I'll mail her my findings and suggestions in the morning.  Who knows, if she reads them she might be reassured.

The afternoon and evening was spent with my mother-in-law.  I took care of some fairly daunting tasks for her, dealing with the cable company and a long-outstanding but tedious financial task.  We also chatted for a couple hours straight, as I think she might get lonely on her own in that huge old house.  She loves company as an excuse to cook dinner, which she did very well.  Yes, she sent me home with food again.

Friday night, nothing to do but post on the Intertubes, so of course I washed my hair.  It's on the stands over a kitchen towel.  I'm wearing my emergency backup hair, an ancient cosplay wig. (Motoko! Someone else with body dysphoria...)  Saturday will be a quiet day, I think, just some cleaning and maybe read a book or watch a movie.  Sunday I'll go hang out at the UU church for a while, wander about town to get my steps in.  Monday I've got electrolysis, and Wednesday my last group therapy session before the therapist retires.

My tweaks to my electrolysis prep, using the skin surgical cleaning agent before the numbing gel and afterward avoiding a close shave and applying witch hazel seems to have helped.  Fewer irritatied spots, only one tiny pustule, and a faster overall skin recovery seem to be the results.  I'll try again next week and see how it goes.

I'm a bit ambivalent about losing my therapist.  It's almost an hour drive to get to therapy from my current location, but the therapist has been helpful, and was an 'insider' with the Kaiser trans-care team, the Multi-Specialty Transitions department (MST).  This leaves me with no connection to MST, as well as no trans-friendly primary care physician, just an endocrinologist who hasn't had many trans patients.  I think I'll push for a referral while I can.

Life continues to happen.  I'm enjoying the ride more these days.  Sure beats how I felt 7-8 months ago, anyway.

•  

Sophia Sage

Glad to hear how well you're taking charge of your life!  Sometimes it's just navigating the day-to-day that keeps us going, especially given what a marathon transition actually is.

Quote from: Michelle_P on December 03, 2016, 01:18:14 AMMonday I've got electrolysis...

My tweaks to my electrolysis prep, using the skin surgical cleaning agent before the numbing gel and afterward avoiding a close shave and applying witch hazel seems to have helped.  Fewer irritatied spots, only one tiny pustule, and a faster overall skin recovery seem to be the results.  I'll try again next week and see how it goes.

I have found a post-electrolysis regimen that works best for me: witch hazel and pure aloe vera gel.  Just this, for 48 hours.  Wash with water, tone with witch hazel, and apply aloe as a moisturizer and more importantly as a protectant.  Keep those pores closed and covered, so nothing gets in and the microphages have time to clean them up.  This greatly helps to reduce redness and swelling, in my experience.  :)

Also, if you have to shave, maybe try an electric shaver?  I think they're easier on the skin.

Quote...and Wednesday my last group therapy session before the therapist retires.  I'm a bit ambivalent about losing my therapist.  It's almost an hour drive to get to therapy from my current location, but the therapist has been helpful, and was an 'insider' with the Kaiser trans-care team, the Multi-Specialty Transitions department (MST).  This leaves me with no connection to MST, as well as no trans-friendly primary care physician, just an endocrinologist who hasn't had many trans patients.  I think I'll push for a referral while I can.

Yeah, definitely get a referral.  You never know when you'll need a sympathetic medical professional on your side, let alone someone qualified to talk to.

As to the group therapy, and as if you didn't have enough on your plate already, have you considered offering to facilitate them as a simple support group going forward?  You certainly have the skills, and a support group is pretty easy to run (it's just going around and checking in, basically).  It's always nice to have other people to talk to, it's something to fill in the hours, and it's a nice excuse to keep in touch with people.  If, you know, they're people you still want to talk to.

:)
What you look forward to has already come, but you do not recognize it.
  •  

Rachel

Michelle, it is wonderful to see you are doing so well and have such a positive attitude. I am happy for you.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

Michelle_P

Heh...  my current electrolysis kit:

If the old rotary shaver dies soon I'll probably get a little foil electric shaver.

Before electrolysis I wash and wipe down the face and neck with chlorhexadine gluconate 4% to reduce the bacterial population, followed by a lidocaine numbing gel topped with plastic wrap. The wrap keeps the goop in place and prevents its drying out for the next hour before electrolysis.

After Jodie finishes zapping me, I clean up with a mild face cleanser (Neutrogena), dry, and then splash on the witch hazel. After a couple minutes the aloe vera gel goes on. (Trader Joe's just switched back to the old formulation, more or less, without fragrance.  Works OK for me...)

I went about 48 hours before I used cosmetics or anything else on my face other than this stuff after treatment.

I'm definitely going to try for a referral, and I'll poke Kaiser for a trans-friendly primary doctor if any are available in the region.

I'm about an hour away from where most of the current group members live and trying to keep the group going would be tricky. I'm not that interested in taking this on.

The retiring therapist is retiring now to keep her current good retirement medical plan. If she waits, she gets a much worse package. Can't blame her. She's looking for a small private practice office and plans to try and continue the group. Alas, the beautiful little town she'll be in is about a 90 minute drive away, or 2 hours in afternoon traffic in that direction.

The other group I know of in Kaiser is about 40 minutes away by foot and regional rail (BART).  I like that better.

Edit:  I'm also in a social support group, dinners and meetups every few weeks with a pretty eclectic bunch of folks, from occasional cross-dressers, to girls in transition, to post-transition folks.  There's also a group that meets regularly at the Rainbow Community Center near here that I might try.  I'm also trying to find some activities in the local Unitarian Universalist (UU) church group to improve my social connection to the broader community. 

Life has its compromises. And thanks, Rachel!  I'm doing fine.  (One of the first things I did on thei site was read your entire thread on your transition.  Guess why I'm doing this?  ;) )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

•  

Rachel

Michelle, I am honored you read my posts and flattered.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

Sinclair

Hi Michelle, so happy to see so many positives!

Really hope you are saving all of this to write a book. Seriously, you need to write a book. You're a good writer and have a great story to tell.  :icon_chick:
  •  

Michelle_P

Midnight, Tuesday morning.  Time for bed.

Monday happened.  It was a busy one.

Up early, got dressed and had my breakfast. Cleaned myself up, did my skin prep, slopped on my lidocaine gel, wrapped my face in plastic, and I headed off to electrolysis.

Jodie did her thing, we joked around when I wasn't spaced out.  "Astral projection...  I'll be over at COSTCO while you are doing the upper lip.  I'll be back to pick up the body at 11."  I wish.  Anyway, after two hours of zappage we took a few minutes to schedule out appointments for another month.  I'll be going to two 2 hour sessions, morning and afternoon, on Electrolysis Day.  The goal is to do that until I can get cleared in one day, then we will start ramping down.

Yeah, I'm probably crazy.

I dashed to a restroom for the obvious, then a quick wash, shave, witch hazel on the face, followed by aloe vera gel.  Ahhhh...

Then, off to lunch with Kathy.  Since I did my quarterly bloodwork draw Sunday morning before church, I figured I could afford a day off plan.  Lunch at Black Bear Diner was 3 pancakes, two eggs, sausage, bacon, and coffee.  Wheee!  Sugar high!  Kathy and I sat around yakking about nothing consequential for a hour and a half.  Nobody got misgendered.  A grand time was had by all.  We'll do it again next week.  Maybe I'll stick to my diet.

Next I was off to COSTCO for gas and groceries.  And a couple turtleneck sweaters in colors I didn't have.  And warm PJs.  Sigh...

I made it home, put away the groceries, handled my e-mail and whatnot, and generally mucked about til dinner time.  Dinner would be out at a local restaurant with 5 other girls from the local transgender social support group, after which there was a larger meetup.  More fun was had, and I spent a couple hours yakking with another girl that had been on HRT for decades, and just now was moving forward with a full transition. Wow.  So many different good paths we may take through life, all of them correct for ourselves.

Busy day.  I apparently have a social life.  Who knew?

I have to go try on the PJs now.  Good night.

•  

Cindy

Michelle you are going so well!

Now for a next step?

Somewhere new? Maybe an Art opening or a Classical music evening or something off the usual cultural day to day.

The only reason I say that is that about where you are now I went to an Art opening and was looking at stuff and approached by a guy asking how I felt about the painting and I told him I thought it was rubbish. He was the Artist and I was whisked of to dinner as the only honest person he had met; we had a lovely relationship for as long as it went; it was fun. No regrets.

Spread your wings and fly!!!

Cindy
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Cindy on December 06, 2016, 02:38:01 AM
Michelle you are going so well!

Now for a next step?

Somewhere new? Maybe an Art opening or a Classical music evening or something off the usual cultural day to day.

The only reason I say that is that about where you are now I went to an Art opening and was looking at stuff and approached by a guy asking how I felt about the painting and I told him I thought it was rubbish. He was the Artist and I was whisked of to dinner as the only honest person he had met; we had a lovely relationship for as long as it went; it was fun. No regrets.

Spread your wings and fly!!!

Cindy
Oh, my!   Thanks for that one, Cindy.  I can just picture that little encounter.  Oof!

And yes, I have further little adventures planned.  Later this week I'm going over to San Francisco again to do some seasonal shopping, and maybe hit Original Joe's in the afternoon.  They've been around forever, although changing locations.  They're in North Beach as of a couple years ago, and they still have their amazing hamburger (no, really!) on the menu.

There's a neat show and a whole floor of curated photography over at the Museum of Modern Art in my list to see, and a crazy 'Story of Rama' exhibit at another museum I plan on checking out.

I've got that amateur radio club holiday party next week, where a group of 60-odd somewhat conservative older folks (OK, my age...) will meet me for the first time.  Oh, and I'm still president of the organization.

I'm teaching a couple of classes starting in January, and doing some public speaking on technology issues (no trans stuff) in January.

Do those sound OK for small next steps?  ;)

And Cindy, thanks again for, well, being you!  I appreciate your nudges, and really admire your fortitude.  Just amazing.

Hugs!
- Michelle

•  

amazonprincess

replying to your original post i'm soooo sorry that happened to you honey *hugs tight* :)
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: amazonprincess on December 06, 2016, 02:29:14 PM
replying to your original post i'm soooo sorry that happened to you honey *hugs tight* :)
It's OK, Princess.  I'm doing much better now than in October, and infinitely better than when I crashed, burned, and came out the hard way back in March.

•  

amazonprincess

That's wonderful and great to know, i wish you the best hon :).
  •  

Michelle_P

Ah, there's always something...

I've got another quarterly check coming up, a telephone appointment with my endocrinologist on Thursday.  I just did labs for this, and the results are coming in...

Estradiol: <50 pg/mL

Oh, for goddess's sake.  Six months in and I still haven't moved the needle off the peg.  I know I'm getting SOMETHING in me, as the roller coaster ride from one biweekly patch a week ended when I got to do them properly, two biweekly a week, or one every 3.5 days.  I've got growth where I want it, and a tiny change in waist and hips.

Of course, now I think I'm missing something.  Moar E, pleeze!

I dunno.  Double patches, maybe?  I've no trouble keeping them in contact and avoiding lifting. They're expensive, though.  Or should I bite the bullet and move to injections?  Alas, I hate needles.  Nasssty pointy things, they hurts us, they does!  The HMO injection center is a 10 minute walk, but I'm sure they'd rather have me be a DIY injection hobbyist. 

Yeah, yeah.  "Go on, take it like a man!"   ::)  ;)

Not a big deal.  Annoying at worst.  I'll hash this out with my endo on Thursday.

•