Good news , have a doughnut on me. Wearing my ra ra skirt and waving pom poms
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Michelle_P

And life goes on and on...  :)

I had a fun time Saturday with some friends.  I'm in a social group of various flavors of femme transgender people, and there are some neat things the group (Diablo Valley Girls) does sometimes.  We regularly take over a consignment store monthly for an evening with the owners happy cooperation.  Wine and cheese and lovely higher end clothing and accessories.  Shopping!

I scored a leather high-waist jacket that's a perfect fit, JAG pull-up jeans that fit like a glove (Size 2?  Really? Don't believe that tag.), a really nice fitted wool blend jacket, and a Baggalini Everything bag.  Everything for what that bag costs new in a discount place.  Yay!   After that four of us headed out to a great local Italian and pizza place to finish off the day.  I had a grand time.

Sunday I spent with the church folks, and on my taxes.  Yuck, but almost done.  Monday was my electrolysis marathon, two 2 hour sessions.  One session was just re-clearing the upper and lower lip down to the chin, which hadn't been touched except for shaving once in the past 3 weeks.  The second session we cleared much of the right sideburn area.  Another couple of weeks and I may be retiring the shaving equipment. (She said optimistically...)  I was pretty much out of it Monday night.

Tuesday night I was at a pre-meeting dinner (Pizza Pirate, an odd but good local pizza joint), and then chaired a meeting of the Benicia Amateur Radio Club. That was my last meeting as president of the organization.  I had moved out of town, and felt that I couldn't really do a good job as president at a distance, so I didn't run for re-election.  Still, I'll miss that.  Lots of other things I can do within the organization, though.

Today was pretty neat.  Another multiple appointment day! I had an appointment with a nurse at Kaiser San Francisco, in preparation for a first appointment with a surgeon, Dr Selim, in mid-August, or possibly late July if the schedule changes as they expect, in preparation for GCS possibly as soon as early 2018! (Yes, please! I've been waiting decades for this one.). He works with Dr. Thomas.

Then I had a follow up with my speech therapist. Linda says I'm ready to graduate! I've got some maintenance exercises and activities to continue with.  I've been using my new voice 24/7, which may explain why my youngest daughter never returns my calls any more...

I've got a first meeting with Dr. Kleinburger to discuss FFS next month, so I'm getting pretty excited about this next phase of my transition.

Onward, ever onward!
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

JeanetteLW

Well Michelle another several days gone in your busy schedule. Spending time with the Diable Valley girls sounds like the most fun. I wouldn't know what to do if I had to have a schedule as busy as yours seems to be. I've gotten used to the retired sedentary  life in front of my computer living vicariously through others like yourself. I did manage to get out and walk the the mailboxes today in my skinny ladies jeans and women shoes with their purple shoe laces. LOL Daring huh?

Still haven got the taxes done? Not much time yet. Marathon electrolysis sessions....ouchie. Note to self: need to look into facial hair removal services someday *yawn* that made me tired.

Can we get back to the girl parties and food already?

Hugs,
   Jeanette
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: JeanetteLW on April 12, 2017, 11:27:55 PM
  Can we get back to the girl parties and food already?

Oh, you would have liked that!  It's a monthly event, wine and horderves, with the shop owner and friends pulling out items likely to appeal to the 'regulars', much trying on stuff and applause or commentary from the others, and a hefty amount of sales rung up at the end of the evening.  It's a fun crowd, from all over the femme side of the transgender continuum.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
  •  

LizK

Sounds like life for Michelle is really busy and flying along at a great rate of knots. Fantastic and I am glad this is working out for you. I know the early part of going fulltime was difficult for you and you have my admiration for just hanging in there like you have. It can't have been easy...

You sound really confident about with your upcoming FFS and I hope the consult is great. GCS as early as beginning of next year...how great is that possibility. Things seem to be falling into place...I saw the Pic of the group I guessed it was the radio club.

Wouldn't retiring the razor be nice...can't wait myself but it won't be until later this year most likely although I am enjoying not having to worry about it this month...

Liz

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Michelle_P

Sometimes things get busy to the point of being ridiculous.  Accidentally, honest!

Thursday I worked some more on tax and financial paperwork, with a chunk of the afternoon gone to getting a new windshield installed by my friends at the auto glass shop.  I should ask if they got those cards I can have punched on each visit, with the 10th one done for free.  Then off to shopping a bit, a guided meditation community activity, and home.  Friday I had lunch with some friends, and worked on that darn paperwork some more. 

Saturday was a nice change of pace.  I worked at a family homeless shelter setup to serve a hot breakfast.  I managed to relax a bit, just some grocery shopping and light house cleaning.  Oh, and I sent off my tax returns. 

This morning I went off to cook breakfast for the shelter (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage for 40), and had some time before the church service so I made potatoes au gratin from scratch for 40.  (Take 15 lbs Russet potatoes...)  After the church service there, I worked the coffee klatch cleanup, then helped get the Easter dinner put together for the shelter.  After dinner I helped clean up, then had an in-depth discussion of IT issues with the head of the Tech Committee for the church. (A church with Information Technology issues!)  Yes, I ate breakfast and an early Easter dinner at the shelter, and probably washed a thousand dishes besides cooking.  Turkey, ham, green beans two ways, the potatoes, and dessert.

I bet that was different from your Easter, but I spent it with people who accept me as a fellow human being, uncritically, and who appreciate me for what I can do, not judging me on gender details.  I found the day to be rewarding and fun, actually.

Tomorrow, I have four hours of electrolysis split across two sessions, and lunch at a diner where the waitress has my order down cold and never misgenders me.  (OK, she's also a social worker intern doing a gig at a gender health clinic, but she IS a nice person.) 

It's a real life experience, all right.

•  

JeanetteLW

WOW! Busy busy busy  I don't know how you do it Michele. Congratulations on getting the taxes mailed off before the deadline. I always procrastinate with mine and they are a piece of cake. I was happy I got mine filed online before I left for Missouri this year. That was early for me.
   I can see how all you charity work can be very rewarding Michelle. Doing good things for others is always a rewarding endeavor and you did a lot. I'm to lazy and too self centered to do stuff like that.
  I do not envy the electrolysis sessions, well I do really I should get my butt in gear and do it myself (again that lazy thing) I just don't know how you mange 4 hours at a pop.OUCH!!
  Anyway sounds like you are doing Michelle well. Keep up the good work.

Hugs,
    Jeanette
  •  

Michelle_P

Well, I'm driven by my own inner daemons.  I find that I HAVE to keep busy.  If I have too much time on my hands, I think about things.  I may obsess about things.  I can get into trouble when that happens.

I also still have some pretty severe dysphoria issues, and I find that keeping busy in a social srtructure that is accepting of me helps with this.  Much of the social stress is relieved.

The group at the UU church here has been just wonderful.  They're pretty amazing. Even in the little things...

There is a ceremony we have in each service, part of the sharing of joys and sorrows, where folks who have something they need to let go of, or something special they need to make a gesture about will participate in.  We each walk to the front of the church, where the minster is standing with a small basket of flat, colored stones.  We pick a stone to represent something we need to release, and then step up to a tall glass column of water, and drop the stone in, watching it slowly sink to the bottom.

In church yesterday I got in the queue to pick a stone.  When I got to the minister, before I could reach in the basket, she handed me a little heart-shaped stone.  I don't know why, but somehow that got to me a bit.

•  

JeanetteLW

Quote from: Michelle_P on April 17, 2017, 09:02:50 AM

In church yesterday I got in the queue to pick a stone.  When I got to the minister, before I could reach in the basket, she handed me a little heart-shaped stone.  I don't know why, but somehow that got to me a bit.

Perhaps she can tell that there is a need in you to open your heart a little and let it go so you can let others in.

Hugs,
   Jeanette

•  

Devlyn

There's power in stones. A healing stone found me in 2005, I've been carrying it with me ever since then.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

davina61

As someone who can water divine and sex unborn children there is "magic" in all things , remember stone is the building blocks of life
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Michelle_P

It's been just over a week, and more real life has happened (big surprise, huh?), so have an update!

I finished off with the Easter dinner last week.  So, picking up the next day...

Monday:
Electrolysis Day, two 2 hour sessions, morning and afternoon, with a lunch break at The Usual Place. The waitress, Rita, sees me coming and puts my order in. :)  I'm so damn predictable.  My 26 year old youngest daughter called me during lunch and we had a nice little conversation. The morning electrolysis session cleared my lips and chin area, and the afternoon cleared the left jawline to neck area.

Tuesday:
Taxes are done, payment mailed.  Did some grocery shopping, poked around town a bit, then came home to do some paperwork.  Light day!

Wednesday:
The weather is warming up, and I need to expand my tiny (no, really) wardrobe a bit.  I did need some shoes a bit lighter and more vented than my winter calf and ankle boots, so I picked up a nice pair with a modest 2" chunk heel that should work well with some of the light flare and wide-leg pants that I have in mind.  Did a bunch of window shopping, and had a light lunch before heading off to visit my gender therapist an hour away.  We had a little group session (3 persons) scheduled, which was both helpful and a nice social interaction.  I got dinner afterward and headed back home.

Thursday:
Mohs surgery today!  The atypical fibroxanthoma on the crown has to go.  Dr. Michael and his assistant were very nice, friendly, and polite.  No issues about my appearance, or my detachable hair!  We actually worked out using the wig cap and wig as part of the bandaging system over the surgery site.  I had a chemo cap (a cute floppy cap in gray linen with a baseball cap style brim, made oversized for chemo and head surgery patients) in my supplies just in case wearing the hairpiece was out during the initial healing period, but it won't be needed.  I rested and just did a little window shopping the remainder of the day.

Friday:
Shopping!  I had a number of nice things I had finally decided on, so I ran out to the shops and started accumulating material goods.   ;D  Jeans and good ole T-shirts I got, along with a light everyday dress and a couple nicer skirts, so most of what I was looking for was comfortable and cool but dressier clothing.  I picked up some tuck flare wide leg pleated pants in black and a slightly tan pink, drape crew-neck short sleeve Ts in black and white, and a long sleeve v-neck drape T in that tan pink shade.  I can mix all of these with other items in my wardrobe pretty easily for professional day and eveningware that will be comfortable in the heat.

Then I met up with some friends from the Diablo Valley Girls for lunch. I rested for a little while and did a few chores, then went off to an amateur radio club charity auction.  I got outbid on a lovely late model Heathkit complete radio station, but I scored a Swan 500CX transceiver with matching power supply, speaker, and (LOL!) phone patch for $20.  Yes, its a drifty rig and it eats expensive final amplifier tubes like peanuts if one is not careful, but I am careful.  No worries...

Saturday
Weekend Activist time!  Science March in the morning, then off to our family homeless shelter to fix lunch.  Knocked out 10 grilled cheese sandwiches, 10 with ham, and another volunteer put the tomato soup together.  We had a break, then onto dinner service, beef bourguignon with egg noodles and some sides.   Service and cleanup were done at 8, then home for the night.

Sunday:
Early services, with a pretty neat sermon about expectations and trying to do good with no certainty as to outcome (sound familiar?), then hung out for the coffee hour as a churchmember rather than staff for once.  ;D  Lunchtime for our guests in the shelter, with leftovers and salad.  We had another fairly long break, which I used to clean my apartment, then back for dinner service.  One of our guests, a caterer, made a mushroom lentil soup and a fish vegetable soup that were completely from scratch (she started them on Saturday), along with her secret raw dressing for our salad.   Dinner was the two soups, salad, a fried rice dish (which I replicated on Monday, with tweaks), and some tasty leftovers.  We finished up a little after 8 after serving about 40 meals.

I had an absolute blast working in that huge kitchen with all these great volunteers.  Oh, I was dead tired, but what a grand time!  I probably washed a thousand dishes, but with commercial gear, this was easy.  And cooking on a huge gas range instead of an apartment stove was heavenly.   :angel:

Monday:
E-day!  Another two 2 hour sessions, and lunch at the local place again. Rita got me my usual, and I even talked to my daughter again during lunch!   :laugh:

My electrolyst quickly cleaned up the lips and chin area, then got most of the heavy stuff on the left cheek.  After lunch she got the right cheek and jawline to neck.  What's left on my face is pretty darn sparse.

I got home and picked up the mail.  The ministers at the UU church had sent me a letter inviting me to become a Pastoral Visitor, a "ministery of caring to help those who need a listening listening ear and affirming companionship from their church community."  Wow. 

This is a pretty amazing thing to have happen to me after only being a member for a few months.  It is a position with considerable responsibility.  I am concerned, however, that I am already overcommitted significantly, and I am not as strong as the ministers might think.  I'm still pretty fragile, under therapy, and facing some personal challenges in my transition and medical care.  I'll probably thank them for the honor and politely decline.  I'd be afraid of letting someone down in their time of need due to my own failings.  (Which I have, although I don't note some things on this site as this is supposed to be a positive and supportive place.)

Anyway, that's my real life for another week.  Onward we go!

•  

JeanetteLW

Once again Michelle I am in awe of your week and the amount you do.

Hugs,
   Jeanette
  •  

Michelle_P

Wow.  Over 6 months of Real Life Experience logged so far.

I updated the avatar.  The old pic was from January.  Let's get a current spring mugshot up!

We had the last of our current series of Community Circle meetings at the local UU church this week. I'll miss the bi-weekly philosophy discussions, but there will be a new session starting for the summer soon enough.

I got in some shopping for warmer-weather clothes, scoring some wide-leg pants, and some dressy looking drape T tops.  One 3/4 sleeve V-neck and 2 short sleeve crewneck, but quite dressy looking.

At a group session, a couple of folks were optimistically saying that they planned to just suppress being trans for the sake of their families.  Oy.  Yeah.  Stuffing this in a hole to ferment for another 20 years?  What could possibly go wrong?  <Raises hand...>  I also had a private session this week.  We came up with an interesting solution to my sleep problem.

I have difficulty at bedtime.  That's when I have to strip away the makeup, put the hair on the stand, and go to bed.  The difficulty is bringing myself to, well, put myself away and become that strange echo in the mirror.  The fix is that the stranger isn't going to bed any more.  I am.

Oh, the hair comes off for a minute while I scrub, but then my 'sleeping hairpiece', my oldest but seemingly indestructible gray hair wig, goes on immediately and I go to bed wearing it.  I'm happy, and I sleep better.  I wake up and its still there on me.  Yes, it's just another one of my many quirks, but I don't care.  I haven't had this good a nights sleep in months.

Wednesday I completed the paperwork stack to partition the investment accounts between my ex-wife and myself. I mailed the stack to her to sign, along with an instruction sheet and Post-its where she has to sign on each page.  I included a prepaid Priority Mail envelope to send the stack onto the brokerage.  She got this on Thursday.  I wonder when she'll mail it?

Thursday we had our group meditation and community dinners going again at the church, which I very much enjoy.  It is staying light later now, so I walked to the event and back home. A little exercise never hurt.

Friday I had lunch with some friends from our social support group at a local restaurant, and then headed over to my mother-in-laws place to help with some computer and printing problems.  Yes, she's 86, computer-literate, and very sharp.  We had dinner together and talked politics for a couple of hours.   ;D

Saturday evening was fun. I was a guest at a New Members dinner at the UU church.  I got all dressed up, warm pink T with 3/4 length sleeves and V-neck, the black wide-leg pant (looks like a maxi-shirt, with pleats, until I walk), my best hair.  I had a great time.

Today was Sunday church, with a topic focusing on resistance, in particular to some recent bad social changes in this country.  It was a very moving service to me.

Now I'm getting ready to enjoy my last solid meal until Tuesday afternoon.  Butter chicken, basmati rice, French beans and carrots.  In the morning I'm on a liquid diet.  Off to electrolysis for the day, and when I get home, I have a special taste treat.

There's a gallon jug of a lemon-flavored slime with my name on it.  By Tuesday morning I'll be clean as a whistle.   :P   A friend will drive me to Kaiser, and my lower GI tract will have it's 10 year inspection.  Oh, joy.

Next Wednesday my calendar is empty.  If I feel up to it, I'm going to wander off to San Francisco and have some fun.  Thursday I'm going over to Kentfield to have dinner with my mother-in-law and a very interesting person.  I'll write about that next week.

I'm having a real life!  Yow...

•  

LizK

Hey Michelle

Another full week ...I don't know where you get your energy from...Great that the wig is helping you sleep...I am with you...whatever works.

Your electrolysis horror continues...same here, I have electrolysis tomorrow with facial injections about 30 minutes before hand. Hoping to get the final clearance on my top lip...fingers crossed...you must getting close to finishing on your top and bottom lip area(apart from stragglers) after the large amount of work you have had done on it.

Lucky you getting to drink your own special jungle juice...it such delightful stuff

Good luck with whatever "Oscopy" it is that you are having.
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: ElizabethK on April 30, 2017, 10:21:49 PM
Hey Michelle

Another full week ...I don't know where you get your energy from...Great that the wig is helping you sleep...I am with you...whatever works.

Your electrolysis horror continues...same here, I have electrolysis tomorrow with facial injections about 30 minutes before hand. Hoping to get the final clearance on my top lip...fingers crossed...you must getting close to finishing on your top and bottom lip area(apart from stragglers) after the large amount of work you have had done on it.

Lucky you getting to drink your own special jungle juice...it such delightful stuff

Good luck with whatever "Oscopy" it is that you are having.

Thanks!  The upper lip down to the chin gets cleared most weeks now in maybe 45 minutes.  I skipped a couple weeks on those areas and it took 2 hours to re-clear.  All the hairs are immature, and many act like follicles that have never been active, with the hairs coming out at random angles.  Re-awakened follicles tend to have hairs growing downward as the fresh hair follows the old follicle out.  I'm running out of follicles!

After re-clearing we will spend the rest of the session working on left jawline, and the afternoon session on one of the two sideburn areas or maybe re-clearing the neck.

Yup, nothing like chugging fresh slime.  It's prep for a colonoscopy on Tuesday.  :P

If I could just spend the next 40 hours or so in deep mindfulness meditation I would.  Just detach and let the world flow past until all is done...

•  

JeanetteLW

Hi Michelle,

Okay now I know my suspicions were correct about your meal post. Once you drink that awful stuff I'm sure it isn't going to be the world flowing by. I've drank that stuff too. I keep reading that 3 year recommendation for another joyful experience after they found a few polyps in me last time. I think I am the only one to have read the recommendation though since it hasn't been scheduled yet. I hope your experience goes as well as mine did.  I remember nothing after turning onto my side and them positioning me. Next thing I knew it was over.

I am glad your hair experience is working for you and you are finally sleeping well again. I am also thankful my balding head isn't a trigger for me. In fact I am perfectly okay sitting  at home in female attire w/o makeup and wig. Now if I was going out in the public eye, especially in daylight (which I'm not) I would need to have both to not only look right but to feel right.  Sweet dreams mon amie, sweet dreams.

I really must look into that facial hair removal thing. What's it called again? The one that is done with electricity?  Oh yeah electro shock therapy. Yeah that's it the one where they burn your face off or is the the laser thingy?
well anyway I'm glad they are finding less and less to do on you.

As for your busy schedule well like that Liz person says I don't know how you do it week after week. But you do and  you find it rewarding so keep up the good work Michelle. Go girl, Go!!

Hope all goes well for you this next week Michelle and thanks for the updates.

Hugs,
   Laurie
  •  

Michelle_P

Real life can be full of surprises.

Thursday night I went with a friend to an event at a community college in Marin followed by dinner.  Surprise!  Caitlyn Jenner is touring to promote her new book, and it turns out there is a friend-of-a-friend connection there.  I also met another 60s athlete from track and field, who at the age of 84 has just come out and started her transition.

More proof that we are never, ever too old.

I checked my mail a bit after midnight on Friday morning, when I got home.  I had an urgent request to appear at a round table discussion on the effects of recent legislation and executive orders on marginalized peoples in the USA.  Seems they decided having an actual LGBT community member present might give them some legitimacy.  ::)   I'm madly finishing prep for this.  I'm on in 2 1/2 hours.  Eeeep!

Real life has it's twists and turns, but it is fun.  Definitely beats the alternative...

Addendum:  The panel discussion went well. I just covered some basics; be welcoming and accepting; When trying to help, please don't tell us how we should be, and please be aware that many of us live the lives we lead not as a lifestyle choice or hobby, but out of survival needs. Don't condemn us because our survival offends you.  We live with high poverty levels, and many transwoman have had to become sex workers to get by,  which can make church communities very uncomfortable.

They listened, and paid attention, I think.

•  

Laurie

Quote from: Michelle_P on May 06, 2017, 09:50:47 AM

I checked my mail a bit after midnight on Friday morning, when I got home.  I had an urgent request to appear at a round table discussion on the effects of recent legislation and executive orders on marginalized peoples in the USA.  Seems they decided having an actual LGBT community member present might give them some legitimacy.  ::)   I'm madly finishing prep for this.  I'm on in 2 1/2 hours.  Eeeep!

Real life has it's twists and turns, but it is fun.  Definitely beats the alternative...

WOW! Michelle what an opportunity for you put forth how this current administration has done a lot to hurt folks like us. I know you will represent us well.  Go and take our plight with you. Tell it like it is.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

LizK

Quote from: Michelle_P on May 06, 2017, 09:50:47 AM

Addendum:  The panel discussion went well. I just covered some basics; be welcoming and accepting; When trying to help, please don't tell us how we should be, and please be aware that many of us live the lives we lead not as a lifestyle choice or hobby, but out of survival needs. Don't condemn us because our survival offends you.  We live with high poverty levels, and many transwoman have had to become sex workers to get by,  which can make church communities very uncomfortable.

They listened, and paid attention, I think.

What a marvellous opportunity and by the sound of things you nailed it. Congratulations and well done. If your community takes on board what you have said I am sure everyone is going to feel welcomed. Sounds like you covered the important stuff really well.
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •