Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

An update on me...

Started by Michelle_P, October 15, 2016, 09:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle_P

Well, I got the price tag for FFS.  The options and undercoating came in cheaper than I thought, so I'm going to bite the bullet and tell the scheduler to put me down for The Works.  Eeeep!    My mother-in-law says my vanity has a steep price.  Dysphoria, ma'am, not vanity...

Meanwhile, I'm cranking through some other odds and ends.  I got my bank cards, with the proper name on them.  Nothing to deadname me in my bag now!   I need to revise the name on the auto registration and pink slip next, and fix the name on the insurance policy.  I can't think of anything else to fix, name wise. 

I worked up a display board design for the LGBTQ program I'm helping put together in my home town, and sent it off for review by the committee.  (Everything has to have a committee... everything...)

I decided to design and print some new business cards for myself while I was at it.  Now I have cards for my Physics and Tech presentations and talks, and another set for the LGBTQ activities and my talks on gender issues.  Just in time, too!   Tonight I was approached after a meeting about teaching part of the antenna theory courses to be done at a western US convention of amateur radio operators in October.  I just whipped out the new card and said, "Sure.  Just give me a call."

How perfessional-like...

I'll be working the Information and Volunteers Desk at the first Pride event of the season tomorrow, which takes a big chunk out of the day.  It should be fun, though.  Good think I have more business cards, eh?

Sunday it looks like I'll be busy, with church, a congregational forum, chili cookoff (I'm in the kitchen again, supporting the chili chefs!), and a concert.

Keeping busy is good for me.  I don't handle long idle periods well.  Too much time to think...
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Laurie

Hi Michelle,

I am happy for you that you feel you can go for the deluxe trim package with all the bells and whistles. The price may be steep but I think in the long run you will be glad you  went for the brass ring.
  Busy busy busy as usually even working on those mundane tasks so you can reap the rewards of them later. Good girl getting them done.
Church, radio club KP duties, my you do stretch yourself thin don't you?

Well, enjoy your weekend. (I know you thrive on work)

Hugs,
    Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Drexy/Drex

With your  your femme  bone structure  already.... you are going to look so good..... good luck look forward  to seeing  you revealed 😊
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Michelle_P

Markie, it will be a while before I even get scheduled for surgery.  2019 bookings aren't open yet. 

Meanwhile, I had a fun weekend, working a booth for a local LGBTQ organization at a Pride event Saturday, and visiting with some friends.  On Sunday the chili cookout was a blast!  9 different chilis to taste, all good, all very different from each other, plus cornbread and margaritas, in 95 degree spring weather!  (Great excuse to wear that sheath dress...)

Today I had electrolysis, just one 2 hour session from scheduling issues, and I have none next week due to the Memorial Day holiday.  My operator did a great job of cleaning up as much as possible on me, although a full clearing would have needed that second session I usually do.  When I go back in a couple weeks one of the two sessions will be the start of genital clearing.  Gotta get that going!

I was thinking of going over to see a museum exhibit on The Summer of Love tomorrow.  Just think, I lived through that as a teen, and now it's a museum exhibit.  If I hold still too long they may put an exhibit plaque on me...

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
  •  

Laurie

Chili sounds good but wasn't it a bit warm for it?
  Summer of love huh? oh you bring back memories. I was a freshman in high school in Hawaii, a longer haired hippy wannabe Navy brat. That was also the protest years of our Vietnam involvement. Gosh the music was great in those days. Bob Dylan, Hendrix, Joplyn's blues, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Cream, Iron Butterfly. I could go on and on..

Thank for the memories Michelle,

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

Drexy/Drex

Ohh  I hadn't figured  on waiting lists.... I better get a move on myself
Still your out there bigger then life awesome  living the life😊
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Michelle_P

I've had something interesting to do almost every day for the past week.

Tuesday I for over to San Feancisco and checked out the 'Summer of Love' exhibit, very far out, with posters, clothing, and music from the late 60s and lots of arcana on display.  They  even had a display of LP records from the period (many of which are in a milk crate next to me).  Hey, I'm a historical artifact.  Whoa!

I had a late lunch at Nopalito, a spinoff from the insanely popular NOPA restaurant.  Nopalito does simple, fresh Mexican food, with a wonderful emphasis on flavor and quality.  Wonderful!

I also checked out one of those 3D IMAX action-adventure films, mostly because I was curious as to how the experience may have improved (old graphics nerd here with patents on some 3D stuff).   :P   It hasn't.  All sorts of bad artifacts, optical issues with the 3D glasses, difficulty in motion tracking due to not understanding how human vision works, etc.  Not worth the money.

Wednesday I drove to my private therapy session, an hour away, and spent the afternoon poking around the college town there.  Just fun and relaxing.

Thursday I worked on some projects, presentation stuff for the LGBT activism group I am involved with.  We have some nice displays to use at events now.  There was also the last community dinner of the season right after the "Vespers" guided meditation session at the local UU church.  That was also pleasant.

Friday I had lunch with some friends from our social support group, a regular weekly thing we do, followed by spending some time with my mother-in-law helping her with a few odds and ends.

Saturday was fun.  I helped with setup, cooking and cleanup at the UU church barbecue, handing the grill for about 2 straight hours.  We had something like 50 people show up, about twice the number that had RSVP'd.  Stretch those burgers...  That evening I was doing laundry and washing my hair for some reason or other.

Sunday was church services, and the first use of those LGBT displays during the coffee klatch after services.

On Monday, Memorial Day, I wound up back at my mother-in-laws to help her out of a bit of a computer crisis. (Bad cable, as it turns out, an easy fix.)  I got home in the afternoon, changed, and headed out to dinner with around 20 folks from my trans femme support group at a nice local restaurant.  Oddly, it was the same place I took my ex-wife on our first date. ;)  I found myself sitting next to one of the parents of a younger member of our group, an ex-military person who was delighted to have another vet to chat with.  It was an  interesting, enjoyable evening.

I'm free tomorrow, and trying to figure out if I should work on a presentation I'm doing Friday, or just goof off.  Goofing off is in the lead right now.

Time to go catch the train and head off to group therapy now!

•  

LizK

QuoteI'm free tomorrow, and trying to figure out if I should work on a presentation I'm doing Friday, or just goof off.  Goofing off is in the lead right now.

Vote 1 Goofing off!!! :D :D
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

SadieBlake

Sounds like a pretty awesome week, we got takeout from nopalito, it was pretty much amazing and my first quasi real meal post op :-).
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

Laurie

Hi Michelle,

Yep I'm with Liz on this one. Tomorrow is a goof off day for you. You need some of those once in awhile with your busy life.

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

Michelle_P

My goof-off day turned into a 'wait for the construction workers' day as the company renovating the condo exterior decided my sliding glass doors onto the 2nd floor balcony needed to be removed and re-flashed.  So, with no doors all day leaving didn't seem like the best choice.

All better now, and the doors are back and more or less work.  Yes, they re-installed the 15 year old doors.  Penney-wise, pound foolish.

My cancer screening went OK.  One suspect new one excised, one keratosis frozen, and I get to do another Efudex pass on my hands and forearms.  Oh, joy.

A few of us in the LGBTQ committee met to review a documentary, "The Freedom to Marry", before we do a large showing and discussion (up to 200 attendees expected!).  That went fairly well.  Excellent documentary on the runup to the recent Supreme Court decision, BTW.

I got everything together, about 10 hours work, for a tech presentation and Q&A session tonight in a town about 40 miles from here.  It went well.  The audience of radio amateur operators, 26 men and one other woman, were attentive and asked good questions.  There were no issues with the presenter, and all the feedback was positive.  I think I passed...

I'm also exhausted from two hours of 'being on', as well as a lot of driving in SF region commute traffic.  Yuck. 

I've got 3 hours of cleaning work to do in the morning in our community kitchen.  Then I have another presentation to do in 10 days.  This will be a new one, so I need to write my script and generate slides.  I also have to prep some stuff for the movie showing in two weeks, and design new ID badges for the LGBTQ committee members.

•  

SadieBlake

Quiet day for you huh?

Huggles and thanks again for teaching me about inductance!
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: SadieBlake on June 03, 2017, 09:26:50 AM
Quiet day for you huh?

Huggles and thanks again for teaching me about inductance!

Oh, you know me well enough that I don't sit still for long and will always find something to do.  Besides, I find that when the subject matter has some interest for me, I enjoy teaching!

•  

Michelle_P

Interesting weekend.  Started off sort of gross and then turned fun.

Saturday morning I joined the others on the Kitchen Committee to the on some cleaning and repairs in the community kitchen, wearing old jeans and a denim shirt. Not very femme of me!  I offered to clean the refrigerator.  Yow...  Bear in mind that I was one of the few folks in my Navy days small enough to be lowered into a sanitary tank to do inspections and repair closeouts.  This was worse.

I completely emptied the huge commercial fridge, and sorted stuff into "unexpired and looks OK", "expired or looks nasty", and unlabeled repackaged leftovers.  The latter two groups got turned into compost and recyclables.  I removed the interior shelving for washing, scraped the mysterious glop out of the bottom (pretty thick mix of spilled 'stuff' left to age for a while), scrubbed the entire interior and door seals out, cleaned the shelving, and reassembled the thing in about 2.5 hours.  I washed and sanitized the recovered kitchen bowls and storage containers that were salvageable, then cleaned up the wash area.

This left me smelly and tired.  When I got home, I cleaned myself up, shower and whatnot, and put on leggings and a dress I really liked. I did my makeup, and felt human finally.  I thought I'd reward myself that night by going out to dinner, and had a fun thought.  I put a little blurb out for 'friends' on Facebook offering to buy them dinner if they'd like to join me.  I was prepared to dine alone, what I usually do, but thought it might be fun to see if anyone else at loose ends would like to join me.

Yes!  One person, possibly my favorite friend, was available.  We get along really well, and often wind up making each other laugh repeatedly with slightly silly antics.  So, a little later we met up at the restaurant, and wound up spending a couple of hours together, commiserating, laughing, and sharing secrets. Oh, but we both had a grand time! 

I walked my friend back to their car and headed back to my apartment, stopping at a Peet's for a little cappuccino on the way.  I had a wonderful evening.

This morning I woke early, and finished some graphics tasks, little things for a committee project.  It was still early, and I hadn't eaten yet.  I knew I wouldn't get back from the UU church activities until mid-afternoon, so I needed to do some sort of brunch to hold me till evening.  Ah, a local bistro I like had just opened its doors for the Sunday crowd and would not be too busy yet, so I headed over for breakfast.  Veggie egg white omelet, fresh fruit, and a small bowl of oatmeal hit the spot, along with coffee and complementary coffee cake. Afterward I stopped to buy some flowers and headed to church.

The UU service today featured their Flower Communion ceremony, which was really nice, a pretty and uplifting thing.  The coffee klatch went well, and I distributed some of the new LGBTQ group name tags we did up.  After a coffee break we went into a Congregational Assembly to handle business and recognize some folks.  They'd read out some info on a person's activities, what was award-worthy, and then name the person and have them come forward for the award.  That's when I got a surprise.

They started reading off activities that sounded familiar, and I started trying to guess which of the people I worked with was getting the award.  Nancy?  No, they mentioned the coffee service. Melissa?  No, they mentioned grilling at the BBQ. Um.  That was me!  I had my name called out and I walked up to the sanctuary in front of everyone, and was given an award for outstanding volunteer service from a new member.  Wow.

After the meeting and socializing, I headed home, tidied up, then went out (with 3 days of hair on my face, BTW.  Electrolysis in the morning.) to take care of a few things.  First, I had promised myself summer-weight walking shoes, and I had something in mind. Off to a shoe store, where I picked up the samples and asked if they had those in a 42 (my size in this particular line; the shoes run narrow and small; I usually take a 10 to 9 1/2 US).  They did!  Score one-oh.  Next, I wanted a couple of midi to maxi skirts, in a lighter shade, for casual summer wear.  I find them much more comfortable than tight jeans on hot days.  Again, I found two at pretty good prices.  Score 3-0.

Back home, fixed dinner, spend an hour on the phone doing planning and yakking for an upcoming event, and finally got on line to catch up.   

I've learned some things recently.  One very important thing is to shut up and listen.  Just listen.  Don't interrupt the other person, just let them talk, and make affirming gestures. But really listen!  That's particularly important. 

It seems that many people don't listen to others, and feel a need to comment on, or worse, correct what another person is saying, no matter how important what they are saying is to them.  Really listening helps them to communicate, and helps you to really understand them.  It fosters a deeper connection.  And that's important, too.

•  

Laurie

Hi Michelle,

I hear ya!  Now what did you say again? It sounded important.

"An award for outstanding volunteer service" I could have told them that. You're always outstanding Michelle. Congratulations!

Again you had your busy , ever busy, week. Filled with the good and not so good but always so fulfilling for you.

Hugs,
   Laurie

•  

jentay1367

Well...just wow. If instant karma actually exists, this should be your best week ever. You're looking more like Maslow's idealized poster girl every day. Have a great week, Michelle. I suspect you will, regardless of what circumstances may be presented you.
  •  

Michelle_P

Thanks, Lisa!  Yes, now that you mentioned it, I think that perhaps transition and RLE has uncorked the bottle and set me loose. I had to go back and re-read Maslow's hierarchy. Yes, I think I may be well on course to becoming Self-Actualized Girl. (My superpowers are tenacity and stubbornness.)

I'm at electrolysis right now finishing my lunch break. Jodie was surprised that I wanted to start off the week with bottom work, and really surprised that we went the full two hours without a break. Since I could talk easily (unlike face work) I thought I'd keep the ball rolling and entertain her for a change. [emoji23].

Talking through the whole process is distracting, a good thing that made it much easier. We were both surprised at how much was cleared!

We'll do a couple hours on the face this afternoon, then I'll grab a coffee and head home. I'm meeting with our social support group tonight for dinner and conversation.

Yup, that covers all of Maslow's hierarchy of needs for the day. [emoji75]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

•  

jentay1367

LOL.....go get em' girl! You'll hear me drop Maslows name quite often around here as it's virtually my dogmatic framework. You're rippinng it up and quite frankly?....fun to watch! Glad I'm not in a damned race with you or a competition with you, or just plain in your way :laugh:  to be sure.
  •  

Michelle_P

I did a lot of odds and ends this week.  Taught some kids how to build folding signs out of foam board that can be taken to events easily and unfold to large legible signs in seconds!  Went out for coffee and pie with the kids regular minder who runs their evening class, and had a small adventure.  Put together another presentation around the documentary "The Freedom To Marry".  Had an editing and revisions session with a sponsoring committee.  Picked up my imiquimod for a new round of DIY chemo. (Kids, use sunblock!)

I got invited on a last minute date to a political event :) .  We had a great time, and afterward when she dropped me off at my place, we spent about 45 minutes sitting in her car having one of those heart-to-heart talks.   :D   I think I'm making progress at releasing my femme side...  :icon_yikes:

Lunch today with friends in the trans social support group; planning our first summer BBQ, and sadly, a memorial for the Pulse club murders on the June 12th anniversary.

Tomorrow we take over that upscale consignment store for a private party.  I'm bringing chocolate dipped strawberries that I'll make in the morning, and grape leaves stuffed with a rice, onion, tomato, and pepper mix already chilling in the fridge.  (I love puttering about in the kitchen.  My nest-building instincts are strong.)

Oh, I've now got a full year in on HRT as of a few hours ago.  It's probably time for the first year picture in  a before-and-after series.  My Real Life Experience time is closing in on 8 months.  I recently had my first surgeons meeting for FFS, and am now scheduled to meet with my GCS surgeon in late July.  Stuff is happening!

•  

SadieBlake

Wow, congratulations on the year of hrt! I know that was a big milestone for me (that coincided with getting my GCS date).

You know when I spent an afternoon with you last month I found you seemed entirely comfortable in your female skin.

Hugs and enjoy your Saturday!
  •