News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

An update on me...

Started by Michelle_P, October 15, 2016, 09:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle_P

Quote from: Laurie on November 10, 2017, 09:32:05 AM
  I'm sorry Michelle, That was an attempt at humor. I guess it didn't work.
That's OK, Laurie.  I was in a weepy sort of state when I read that, and I missed the point, obviously.  Stupid estrogen...

Anyway, I'm feeling better today.   The step up in dilator is not giving me any problems, and I'm getting the hang of muscle control around urination, and that's working better today.  (I was afraid I wouldn't be able to empty and would wind up back on that damn catheter, but I'm doing better today.)

Hmmm....  I've got the tea service out, and I can make damn good espresso, and even lattes, cappuccino, or espresso macchiatos here.  I've got fresh baked cookies. 

Still no Laurie stalking me.  Foo.

Now what am I going to do?  I've got this lovely corset, black with purple detailing, pink lining, and a little ruffle just above the garter straps.  I've got all these soft scarves, and new red and black silk ropes, but no Laurie to play with.

It's ever so frustrating.

But, I am cleared to drive now.  Perhaps I'll need to develop my more assertive side and make a little road trip north.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Laurie

Hi Michelle,

I am glad you are learning how to use that new plumbing. I'm sure it'll mean less cleanup. It is also good to hear you are cleared for mobilization. Those clothes of  your must surely fit so much better now. I am sure with all those friends you are surrounded with you have plenty of playmates. I will make that trip south one of these days. Just be prepared to answer your phone so you can direct me into the hanger.

Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Laurie on November 10, 2017, 10:46:54 AM
Hi Michelle,

I am glad you are learning how to use that new plumbing. I'm sure it'll mean less cleanup. It is also good to hear you are cleared for mobilization. Those clothes of  your must surely fit so much better now. I am sure with all those friends you are surrounded with you have plenty of playmates. I will make that trip south one of these days. Just be prepared to answer your phone so you can direct me into the hanger.

Laurie

LOL!

And yes, the skinny jeans fit much better.  No more... binding... issues.  ;)

I'll answer the phone, and I promise to behave.  Mostly...

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
  •  

Drexy/Drex

Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Kendra

Quote from: Michelle_P on November 10, 2017, 03:53:16 PM
> And yes, the skinny jeans fit much better.  No more... binding... issues.  ;)

I was just thinkin about that earlier today before reading your post.  How nice that must be. 
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Kendra on November 10, 2017, 05:13:03 PM
I was just thinkin about that earlier today before reading your post.  How nice that must be.
Heck of a reason for GCS!

Can you imagine the session?

"Doc, I feel that I really need gender confirmation surgery."

"And why is that?"

"Well, I have these really nice pants, but they don't fit right in the crotch..."

But it is true that they fit better. My pencil skirts can now be worn worry-free, and I'm looking forward to picking out a new swimsuit.

So there is that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

•  

Laurie

Quote from: Michelle_P on November 10, 2017, 05:42:01 PM
Heck of a reason for GCS!

Can you imagine the session?

"Doc, I feel that I really need gender confirmation surgery."

"And why is that?"

"Well, I have these really nice pants, but they don't fit right in the crotch..."

But it is true that they fit better. My pencil skirts can now be worn worry-free, and I'm looking forward to picking out a new swimsuit.

So there is that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like damn good reasons to me.

•  

Michelle_P

I'm trying to come to grips with the Unwritten Rules in local lesbian culture.   It's given me some insight into why older trans women who identify as lesbian don't seem to date.

There is a certain amount of transphobia out there, some fairly obvious, and some buried deep. Lesbian culture has unavoidably picked some of this up. 

As an older woman, femme lesbian, and transgender person, I'd have absolutely no interest in associating with a transphobic woman. I'm so not interested in seeking out even more abuse and marginalization in my life.

At the same time, I understand the attitude prevailing in the older lesbian community regarding transgender persons.

There are a LOT of different sorts of trans women out there. Some make little effort in improving their mentality, some really have been soaking in male privilege and haven't shed poor attitudes. These folks aren't all that great company.

On the other hand, there are women who are the kindest, gentle souls, but because they have that trans history, they get dropped from any consideration and at best are relegated to the 'friend box'. This is a Not Great place to be.

Statistically, going through the raw YouGOV survey data, it looks like among lesbian cisgender women over 55, that 0% are very likely or likely to consider a transgender woman for a romantic relationship. This matches my real world observation that older transgender women identifying as lesbian are paired off with other transgender women.

I had a nice conversation last night with a woman leading a local meetup group that prides itself on being open and transgender friendly. The leader mentioned that I'd be welcome there, and that there were other transgender women and even two gay guys in their group, and made a point that one of the transgender women was not currently paired off.

Again, there's that assumption that trans lesbians should only consider other trans women.

Knowing the statistics for finding someone really compatible with me, and the size of the over-55 dating pool of transgender lesbians, I can readily conclude that I'll be dining on the "table for one" plan the rest of my life, and should probably consider getting a dozen or two cats.

I can't see myself diving into the dating scene for an endless stream of rejections punctuated with the occasional crazy person.

As a trans woman, I've come to understand the unwritten rules. I'll live my authentic life. I'll do it alone, punctuated by lots of white nights, but I'll still be happier than when I had to bury my very existence.

It's just the unwritten rules of a transphobic culture. I'm in the "not wanted" column, and that's how it is.

Future generations may have it better, and may actually realize that "love is love", unqualified and uncategorized.

I hope so.

•  

Laurie

Quote from: Michelle_P on November 13, 2017, 07:50:01 AM
Knowing the statistics for finding someone really compatible with me, and the size of the over-55 dating pool of transgender lesbians, I can readily conclude that I'll be dining on the "table for one" plan the rest of my life, and should probably consider getting a dozen or two cats.

I can't see myself diving into the dating scene for an endless stream of rejections punctuated with the occasional crazy person.

As a trans woman, I've come to understand the unwritten rules. I'll live my authentic life. I'll do it alone, punctuated by lots of white nights, but I'll still be happier than when I had to bury my very existence.
It's just the unwritten rules of a transphobic culture. I'm in the "not wanted" column, and that's how it is.

Future generations may have it better, and may actually realize that "love is love", unqualified and uncategorized.

I hope so.

Michelle,

You have really surprised me with the lines above. I suspect you are not feeling up to par because they sound like something I would write and that is not the indomitable Michelle I have come to know and admire. Though you end it with "I hope so" I am not feeling it from the words above.
  So my girlfriend bake your cookies serve your tea and entertain those you meet and eventually you'll find your partner.

Laurie

•  

Devlyn

I'm surprised, too. Michelle, you're immersed in the biggest pool of over 55 transgender lesbians to ever pool into a pool. You're swimming in potential mates. Except Laurie, she's mine, and off limits.  ;)  But I don't see why you would have an issue meeting acceptable candidates.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

p

I hear what you are saying, but I hope that you're wrong, Michelle! I have a feeling that someone is going to pick up on your kindness, intelligence and joie de vivre and snatch you right out of that little dating pool. Big hugs!
Patti

Something is off - 2016-17
Out to husband - 2/14/17
Full-time - 3/9/17
HRT - 6/14/17
  •  

Jessica Lynne

Keep your mind and heart open, Michelle. Mathematical probability be damned. You must be a hopeful person, right? Otherwise the likelihood of you being where you're at right now would be an absolute unequivocal impossibility. Life happens, girl. Don't close no doors.
  •  

Megan.

Your first error is trusting British (yougov) statistics which along with our invasion tunnel, are just part of our plan to divide and conquer [emoji16]

You're a treasure. But love isn't about statistics,  it may be the only thing in the universe that isn't.

It can and does come when least expected,  and can't be forced. It'll find you, just stay away from the cat rehoming centre [emoji6]

X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

SadieBlake

Michelle, your experience doesn't surprise and yet I'm thinking you will be finding the woman you're looking for. I think your target age demographic may be more problematic -- first there are a lot of first-wave feminists in that AG and also a lot of older lesbians simply aren't interested in sex. Also, how long have you been in that community? I've been known as a trans female locally for a couple of decades and acceptance took time.

The trans women I know personally in our AG are all single and pansexual fwiw, none of them particularly pair off with other trans people.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

Drexy/Drex

Quote from: Michelle_P on November 13, 2017, 07:50:01 AM
I'm trying to come to grips with the Unwritten Rules in local lesbian culture.   It's given me some insight into why older trans women who identify as lesbian don't seem to date.

There is a certain amount of transphobia out there, some fairly obvious, and some buried deep. Lesbian culture has unavoidably picked some of this up. 

As an older woman, femme lesbian, and transgender person, I'd have absolutely no interest in associating with a transphobic woman. I'm so not interested in seeking out even more abuse and marginalization in my life.

At the same time, I understand the attitude prevailing in the older lesbian community regarding transgender persons.

There are a LOT of different sorts of trans women out there. Some make little effort in improving their mentality, some really have been soaking in male privilege and haven't shed poor attitudes. These folks aren't all that great company.

On the other hand, there are women who are the kindest, gentle souls, but because they have that trans history, they get dropped from any consideration and at best are relegated to the 'friend box'. This is a Not Great place to be.

Statistically, going through the raw YouGOV survey data, it looks like among lesbian cisgender women over 55, that 0% are very likely or likely to consider a transgender woman for a romantic relationship. This matches my real world observation that older transgender women identifying as lesbian are paired off with other transgender women.

I had a nice conversation last night with a woman leading a local meetup group that prides itself on being open and transgender friendly. The leader mentioned that I'd be welcome there, and that there were other transgender women and even two gay guys in their group, and made a point that one of the transgender women was not currently paired off.

Again, there's that assumption that trans lesbians should only consider other trans women.

I hope so.

Well said Michelle that gives a very interesting insight to the future .....personally i've gone the two cats ....good value ....i gave up on relationships a long time ago and find im quite happy

Well said Michelle that gives a very interesting insight to the future .....personally i've gone the two cats ....good value ....i gave up on relationships a long time ago and find im quite happy

Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: markie on November 13, 2017, 07:54:16 PM

Some of this may be specific to the San Francisco Bay Area.  There are still quite a few of the early exclusionary feminists in the region in positions of influence.

The brilliant feminist and queer theorist Julia Serano lives about 10 miles from me and has encountered a good bit of this.  She's written about it in a number of places, including this early article from 2010. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-struggle-to-find-trans-love-in-san-francisco

Her book from 2013, "Excluded: Making Feminist and Queer Movements More Inclusive" deconstructs much of the various bits of exclusionary politics and points up the flaws in exclusionary feminist theory.

I recommend her books "Excluded" or "Whipping Girl" as great introductions to her work on intersectionality and social justice issues.

•  

Drexy/Drex

Very good read michelle 😊
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Michelle_P

I had a rough day yesterday.  The damn post-op depression was hitting, lots of 'zaps' from healing tissues and reconnecting nerves, so I was sort of edgy.

Then, someone I loved and cared for decided I needed some some constructive criticism regarding what they perceived as my being self-centered, emotionally distant, and not interested in their life.  They last saw me a week out of surgery, in pretty poor shape, in a tiny apartment full of medical and self-care supplies, with a social worker friend there helping me and talking to them.

How dare I make my surgical recovery and attempts to follow the complex care regimen all about me and not them!

They thoughtfully decided to conduct their critique via a stream of text messages.  Texting, in my humble opinion, may very well be the worst possible way to discuss complex emotional issues.

They don't see my tears via text.

They don't see my hands shaking via text.

They don't see the suicidal thoughts resurfacing in the midst of this damnable post-op depression in their texts.

This stinks, to put it mildly. To have someone be so horribly abusive, even as they deny it and claim to be 'helping' in their texts is just really, really unpleasant.  Triggering, even.  There were dangerously unpleasant thoughts as these texts tore into me about what a terrible person I am and how I failed them, while I was standing on a balcony looking down at the concrete walk.  That would suffice.

I shook my head, got off the balcony, closed the door and drew the shades.  No. Not again.  Never again.

I spent the evening with an excellent doctor, and a group therapy session that focused on issues with family and others close to us prior to transition.

I got some very good advice.  The doctor strongly recommends that I do not make physical contact with this person, and particularly should not let them into my home.  I don't see the risk she does, but I may be too close to the problem.

I finished up the evening with a couple of great folks from the group session, including a rather wise professor of feminist studies, sharing pizza and ideas.

I'm doing much better today.  It's rainy and overcast, the right weather for boots, sweaters, and umbrellas.  Calm and quiet, even light from the overcast sky, and I'm seeing friends in a little while.

The depression will be gone in a few weeks, I hope, as the long term side effects from surgical shock, 7 hours under propofol, and a few days on a morphine drip slowly fade.  Damn, the things we do to ourselves for a little relief from dysphora!

•  

Laurie

Michelle,

I'm so sorry for this unpleasant text encounter with this person. That should not have happened and I suspect other issues they may have may have caused this outburst in your direction. I'm sure it was unpleasant for you but I am more concern with where it took you. Such feeling and thoughts are horrible to have. Being depressed is hard enough without it being  reenforced by others. It is good that you have people there surrounding you to help you through these rough spots. You do not need such negativity at this time in your recovery. It is another reason for me to keep my distance. I only wish you good things Michelle. Be yourself and use those resources around you to heal and recover in peace.

•  

Jessica

Michelle, I'm sorry you're feeling down. I'm sorry I missed group last night, (I didn't want to spread a cold), I've been thinking of you, hoping everything is going well.  I'm sure you will meet the girl of your dreams.  Please know many here love you and we all want you to succeed. 
Hugs and love, Jessica 👩‍⚖️

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•