News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

An update on me...

Started by Michelle_P, October 15, 2016, 09:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyLauren

Quote from: Jessica on March 22, 2018, 07:48:10 AM
I loved Winterland...."have your tickets out and ready"!
Can't tell you how many concerts I saw there.
Mostly the Grateful Dead!
Winterland, the Airplane, the Dead!   I am so jealous!  My parents wouldn't even let me go to see Festival Express (Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, and others) when it came to Calgary.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: KathyLauren on March 22, 2018, 10:53:02 AM
Winterland, the Airplane, the Dead!   I am so jealous!  My parents wouldn't even let me go to see Festival Express (Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, and others) when it came to Calgary.

Oh my, deprived of history!  Unfortunately I missed Janis and Jimi.  I was just coming into that scene in my first year of high school when they both died.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Cassi

I attended the California Jam, left just before nightfall due to people shooting bottle rockets at the Goodyear Blimp.  Kept getting images of the Hindenburg on fire, lol.  Some of the groups were:

Performers

Acts that performed at the festival in order of appearance:

Rare Earth
    Earth, Wind & Fire
    Eagles
    Seals and Crofts
    Black Oak Arkansas
    Black Sabbath
    Deep Purple
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Deep Purple's performance was one of the first with their third line-up, which included the vocalist David Coverdale and the vocalist/bassist Glenn Hughes. Deep Purple was given the choice of when to go on stage, and chose to go on during sunset, thus pushing Emerson, Lake & Palmer to the last performance. Assuming that, as with all festivals, the show would run late anyway, they still waited when the festival was actually ahead of schedule. Angry concert organizers tried to force Deep Purple to go onstage, and then threatened to cancel their performance. A quick thinking announcer told the crowds that Deep Purple would be coming on "soon". The band made concertgoers wait nearly an hour until near dusk before they went on stage. Richie Blackmore, the Deep Purple lead guitarist, has said the concert agreement at Cal Jam was always for Deep Purple to go on stage at dusk, and concert promoters were in violation of a signed agreement. In spite of this delay, the show did not end up running late.[3] At the end of their concert, guitarist Ritchie Blackmore threw a guitar, and a small speaker monitor out into the audience, and suddenly attacked one of the network's video cameras (the camera had been getting between Blackmore and the audience) with a guitar. Later on, a mishap with a pyrotechnic effect caused one of Blackmore's amplifiers to explode, which briefly set the stage on fire. Deep Purple left the concert area by helicopter to avoid a possible confrontation with Ontario fire marshals and ABC-TV executives. The damage to the ABC video camera was estimated to be $10,000, later settled by the band managers.

The weather on the day of the Cal Jam concert was unusually warm for April. At one point in the late afternoon, thousands of plastic gallon jugs were handed out to the audience, who were able to fill the jugs up at the many drinking fountains set up on the grounds. During the prolonged delay waiting for Deep Purple to hit the stage, restless concert goers began tossing their water jugs in the air. More and more of the audience joined in, until the air above the crowd was filled with hundreds of water jugs flying around, spraying water over the audience.

Deep Purple's California Jam performance, along with some of the performances by other bands, was broadcast on TV and radio nationwide in the US. It was at this festival that the footage of Keith Emerson playing a grand piano spinning end-over-end 50 feet above the ground was taken.
Attendance and technology

This section does not cite any sources. Please help improve this section by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Branker Jam I.jpg

The concert set a record for the largest paid attendance at such an event. Although more people attended the festival at Woodstock in New York, only a few thousand had purchased tickets.

Another record established at California Jam was for the largest (most powerful) concert sound system ever assembled, particularly from the demands of Deep Purple, who were identified as the "loudest band in the world" by the Guinness Book of World Records. Tycobrahe Sound Company combined the touring systems of Deep Purple, Black Oak Arkansas, Black Sabbath, Earth Wind and Fire, and Rare Earth (each manufactured by Tycobrahe),[citation needed] plus 16 feet (4.9 m) bass horns from Phoenix Sound and several folded bass horns from Flag Systems. Total power was 54,000 watts RMS, provided by a number of BFA-2000 amplifiers, manufactured by Tycobrahe.

The Goodyear blimp hovering overhead was a first for a music festival.[citation needed] Deep Purple arrived for the concert in their own chartered jet, the Starship, with their name painted on the plane's sides, the first time a major band arrived specifically for a music festival in their own plane.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Jessica

So more on topic but not veering.....
@Michelle_P, do you recall the first concert at Winterland?

This was mine!

Wild days when we were young! 
Do you miss them?
Never left them, just doing it differently!

Jess

Oh my!  Let me put in an update.  While yes, I was at that New Years show, I realized that my actual first time at Winterland was earlier in my fuzzy teens at a different New Years show

31 December 1969

Winterland, San Francisco, CA

Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver, Sons Of Champlin, Hot Tuna Lights: Brotherhood Of Light

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Cassi

Young, Dumb, and full of fun (aka stupidity and lucky to have made it thru it) with super powers, lol.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Anne Blake

Winterland, the Avalon ballroom, the Fillmore  Auditorium and occasionally down to Santa Cruz to the Catalyst and have to toss in the Cow Palace for the Stones in 1966?? Janis, the Airplane, Quicksilver, Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen. The  smaller venues for Joan Baez, Peter Paul and Mary, Pete Seager, Taj Mahal, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, Lightning Hopkins, John Stewart. A lot more but the drugs have had their effect with my memory.

But wow Michelle, I did it as a stoned hippie guy without a clue, YOU did as yourself, a girl! You rock girl.

Tia Anne
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Anne Blake on March 22, 2018, 01:07:09 PM
Winterland, the Avalon balloon, the Fillmore  Auditorium and occasionally down to Santa Cruz to the Catalyst and have to toss in the Cow Palace for the Stones in 1966?? Janis, the Airplane, Quicksilver, Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen. The  smaller venues for Joan Baez, Peter Paul and Mary, Pete Seager, Taj Mahal, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, Lightning Hopkins, John Stewart. A lot more but the drugs have had their effect with my memory.

But wow Michelle, I did it as a stoned hippie guy without a clue, YOU did as yourself, a girl! You rock girl.

Tia Anne

I would have never guessed this Anne :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Jessica on March 22, 2018, 11:54:33 AM

This was mine!

Wild days when we were young! 
Do you miss them?
Never left them, just doing it differently!

Jess

Oh my!  Let me put in an update.  While yes, I was at that New Years show, I realized that my actual first time at Winterland was earlier in my fuzzy teens at a different New Years show

31 December 1969

Winterland, San Francisco, CA

Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver, Sons Of Champlin, Hot Tuna Lights: Brotherhood Of Light

Notice how my memory skipped 5 years

•  

Dena

Everybody posting here is making me feel really old. I saw Jimmy Dean, Al Hirt, Herb Alpert and if memory serves me correctly, Ertha Kitt with one of the memorable songs being Wabash Cannon ball. The one rock concert I attended I don't even remember who was playing because there was so much cigarette smoke (an possibly some pot smoke) in the Colliseum that it hung like a cloud above the act. We couldn't get a seat below the cloud so I was paying more attention to trying to breath that to the act.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

SadieBlake

Love all the California girls here!

Yes I saw the Dead a few times and Jerry Garcia at catalyst was quite something. Hendrix and Joplin both died too young for me to see them :-(.

🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: SadieBlake on March 22, 2018, 07:22:46 PM
Love all the California girls here!

Yes I saw the Dead a few times and Jerry Garcia at catalyst was quite something. Hendrix and Joplin both died too young for me to see them :-(.

The Catalyst is legend!
At the Dead shows I always wanted to be one of the spinner girls.
I had hair to the small of my back and when I would spin with them my hair would go straight out.  I always got too dizzy, from that and other things!

•  

Jessica

But enough of high jacking Michelle's thread!
Back to Michelle and the Honey Badgers and how they pursued the "Laurie"

•  

Cassi

Quote from: Jessica on March 22, 2018, 07:40:51 PM
But enough of high jacking Michelle's thread!
Back to Michelle and the Honey Badgers and how they pursued the "Laurie"

To start with, I believe Michelle knew the true color of Laurie's vehicle!!!!!!
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Cassi on March 22, 2018, 09:42:00 PM
To start with, I believe Michelle knew the true color of Laurie's vehicle!!!!!!

And so did I!  Mistress Michelle now allows me the warmer quarters sleeping with the Honey Badgers for keeping mum!

•  

Cassi

Quote from: Jessica on March 22, 2018, 10:45:50 PM
And so did I!  Mistress Michelle now allows me the warmer quarters sleeping with the Honey Badgers for keeping mum!

So, are you this new accomplice known as Becky?
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Cassi on March 23, 2018, 12:13:28 AM
So, are you this new accomplice known as Becky?

You will refer to me as Lady Jessica if you insist on speaking to me in that tone!
And I am a loyal minion of mistress Michelle!

•  

Cassi

Quote from: Jessica on March 23, 2018, 01:08:24 AM
You will refer to me as Lady Jessica if you insist on speaking to me in that tone!
And I am a loyal minion of mistress Michelle!

LMAO.  So Lady Jessica of Minion, are you this Becky?
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Michelle_P

Well, this thread exploded...

Quote from: Anne Blake on March 22, 2018, 01:07:09 PM

Tia Anne

I'd take off, shouting that I was going to a friend's, would be out late, and hop on the bus.  For an extra dime I got a trans-Bay transfer, and hopped on a bus to San Francisco.  On arriving, I'd duck into a restroom and swap a t-shirt for a BoHo embroidered tunic.  With the flared pants and boots, I was there, Michelle the 14 year old hippie girl.

I hung out in the Haight or Tendeloin, made some interesting friends.  I got some stern guidance from Tamara Ching. I ate meals with some of the tribes in the Haight.  I stuffed inserts in the San Francisco Oracle.  And the music!  Oh, word would run through the neighborhood about a free concert in the morning, and by mid-afternoon there would be thousands of folks on the Polo Field in Golden Gate Park. 

Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Hot Tuna...  Sometimes all on the same bill! 

Wonderful times.
Quote from: Jessica on March 22, 2018, 02:39:08 PM
Notice how my memory skipped 5 years

Goooooood stuff, huh?  Wooooooooow....

Quote from: Jessica on March 22, 2018, 11:54:33 AM

I'm pretty sure Jefferson Airplane was on the bill, but I don't know who else might have been playing.  If I didn't care for the band I would head for the balcony and find something else to... do...  (Before the balcony turned into a t-shirt and poster shop!)
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Michelle_P on March 23, 2018, 01:38:12 AMI'm pretty sure Jefferson Airplane was on the bill, but I don't know who else might have been playing.  If I didn't care for the band I would head for the balcony and find something else to... do...  (Before the balcony turned into a t-shirt and poster shop!)

Holy smokes, have I ever lived a sheltered boring life. I was absolutely forbidden from going to the Diag at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor during the Hash Bash because those drug-crazed hippies were there.

The closest I ever got to your kind of concert experience was the night I didn't see Bob Segar play Bowen Field House (essentially a large gymnasium) at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti - because I was too drunk to remember any of it.

And the possibility of letting my true self out and going as a girl was simply nonexistent. [emoji853]

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Steph2.0 on March 23, 2018, 02:11:57 AM
And the possibility of letting my true self out and going as a girl was simply nonexistent. [emoji853]

Stephanie
Well, I eventually got caught in an SFPD sweep and turned over to my parents. They got me 'help', what's now called conversion therapy.   It scared me into hiding, afraid to come out out of fear someone might 'help' me again

I was only able to overcome this when i reached that 'change or die' point a few years ago.

Thank goodness things are getting better in some places for trans youth.  I don't want anyone to go through that garbage again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •