Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Star Trek

Started by Lily.Arwen, October 19, 2016, 04:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lily.Arwen

Any Trek fans here?

If so, which is your favourite series and why?
:icon_love: :icon_love: I like boots  ;)
  •  

Geeker

That's like asking a parent of 6 which is their favorite child! I like them all, and each for different reasons.
I'm not out, I'm not on E, unless things change I doubt I ever will be.
  •  

Dayta

I kind of lost interest in the series towards the end of TNG, and never really got into any of the follow-ons.  When I go back to watch the original series again, I sometimes feel as if it's not quite as ground-breaking as it seemed back then, but I suppose that's true of a lot of older TV and movies. 

I guess I associate more with characters, and was drawn to Spock on the original and Data on TNG.  In some ways, they're kind of plays on the same basic premise, but I thought they were able to explore things a little more deeply and broadly with Data, so he's probably my very favorite (**looks at my forum name. "duh!"**).

That said, I do love this idea about the original where Kirk, Spock and McCoy represented three aspects of one's internal dialogue, which were separated in the show to have the dialogue expressed out loud instead.  Now I have to look at every significant work relationship I've had, and try to find the two closest people to me at the time and assign a Kirk, Spock or McCoy tag on each of us.  (Hint: I'm always either McCoy or Spock). I think in the end, the McCoy character got overshadowed by the Kirk/Spock bromance (romance?), and sadly became a kind of third whiny wheel.  Sigh. 

Erin

•  

Julia1996

I like voyager.  Because I haven't really seen the other ones. I did watch a few episodes of the last series. Enterprise I think it was. It totally bored me. There is a new series coming out though.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Tammy Jade

I like Voyager the most once Kess leaves, she always annoyed me.

DS9 is a close runner up because of all the weird interpersonal relationships. I don't like Sisko compared to Picard and Janway if it wasn't for Sisko DS9 would probably be my favourite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Tamara Jade

** The Meaning of Life?? Is to find the Meaning of Life **
  •  

Julia1996

I liked voyager much better after kess left too. Seven of nine was much more interesting. I like Kate Mulgrew. She's great as red in orange is the new black.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Artesia

A favorite?  I have a favorite....I think...maybe????

I know I love the DS9 Trouble with Tribbles crossover with the original series.

I like DS9 probably the most, until towards the end when they were doing the wormhole aliens thing.
I think Enterprise was my least favorite, some of the things seemed to happen out of order.
All the worlds a joke, and the people, merely punchlines

September 13, 2016 HRT start date
  •  

Tammy Jade

Quote from: Julia1996 on June 18, 2017, 07:09:20 PM
I liked voyager much better after kess left too. Seven of nine was much more interesting. I like Kate Mulgrew. She's great as red in orange is the new black.
The only reason I originally started orange was because she was in it. I have to admit I really enjoy it though.

7of9 had a more fleshed out character and it made a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Tamara Jade

** The Meaning of Life?? Is to find the Meaning of Life **
  •  

James80

Enterprise was my favorite. A lot of it was Scott Bakula, and also being able to relate to Cmdr. Tucker as a Southerner surrounded by Yankees. Phlox was great too. I guess it was the outsider aspect with him too.

I would definitely rewatch TNG if I had time, though.

DS9 couldn't really compete with Babylon 5 in terms of consistently good writing and cohesive vision, but I enjoyed Sisko for the most part. He reminded me of people I knew and had more charming (and likable) quirks than say, Janeway. Kate Mulgrew...just no.
  •  

MistressStevie

I personally prefer the original ST series.  It was integrated and positive before such concepts
had even hit main stream.  Captain Kirk never ever gives up and relied upon his crew to find
unique and appropriate solutions. 

The rest of the franchise attempted to touch that original greatness and sometimes some
episodes succeeded. 

Babylon 5 was amazing and maybe better than any of the later Treks.  The time between
the original ST and B5 was sufficient they should be treated each for their own merits. 
  •  

cheryl reeves

I loved the original star trek I am a big fan of Captain James T. Kirk and Spock and read alot of books that went beyond the.series. Did you know Kirk and Spock played  alot of chess together.
  •  

Jin

There is only ONE real Star Trek! Without Gene the rest are only copy-cat posers.
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.
  •  

Julia1996

I watched a original star trek episode. It looked so cheesy! Like they would have switches and dials in the future instead of a holographic interface. The female uniforms were kind of cute though.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Julia1996 on June 19, 2017, 06:30:17 PM
I watched a original star trek episode. It looked so cheesy! Like they would have switches and dials in the future instead of a holographic interface. The female uniforms were kind of cute though.
It was very low budget as the studio didn't really believe in it and many of the ideas they had latter became reality. Remember that this was before cell phones, Cat scans and MRIs. Even direct video links were very rare and communication was by ground voice lines. Besides that, the quality of the writing is more important than the sets and today we have far to many special effect attempting to make up for lousy writing.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Janes Groove

Quote from: Julia1996 on June 19, 2017, 06:30:17 PM

Yeah. But the stories were great and the show was different than anything at the time. 
Back in that day everybody in the family used to sit on the couch and watch the same show at the same time.  A second TV in the house was rare.  I remember watching episodes over at my cousins house where there were upwards of 15 people sitting around on metal folding chairs watching it on a black and white TV.  The stories were always very imaginative and always unique.  Today you shell out 15 bucks to see the same star wars sequel over and over and over and over again. They just slap on a new title and rehash the same old story.  How many times is the universe going to be saved from the death star?  But hey. They have great special effects. Right?

I've probably seen every episode at least 20 times and I've never even watched it on DVD or cable.

Also, how can you be so sure they won't have switches and dials in the future instead of a holographic interfaces?
  •  

Kylo

The original series and TNG. I have yet to finish DS9 and Voyager; just couldn't get into Enterprise.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Zumbagirl

The original series is still the best. I am going to New York comic-con in October just because William Shatner will be there, my personal favorite Captain.
  •  

Lady Sarah

Here is a response from someone whom once was a lieutenant commander in the Klingon Assault Group (a fan club).

I personally preferred the DS9 series, just because of all the interpersonal workings through members of different species. It made me wonder why we had so many problems over race right here on Earth. Many of those conflicts are still relevant.

Add to that the peculiar humor with discussions about both the Cardassians and the Kardashians. :-D
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

HappyMoni

I like the Star Trek with Yoda and Hans Solo. Nah, just kidding, the original of course. There was an episode I think called "A Piece of the Action" where they land on a planet that is run like the 1930's Chicago gangster era. It was great watching Spock and Kirk talking like gangsters.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

baseballfan

I watched the original airing of the pilot of Star Trek Voyager as a 7 year old kid and became a big fan of the show and all of the Star Trek series.  Got away from it as an adult, but have been watching Voyager on Netflix again.  I love it!
Right now, I only go by Jessica on this forum.  Maybe someday I'll go by Jessica everywhere.
  •