News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Star Trek

Started by Lily.Arwen, October 19, 2016, 04:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dena

Quote from: BeverlyAnn on July 15, 2017, 12:07:47 PM
I'm waiting on the transporter.  I mean if they can disassemble you in one spot and reassemble you in another, why couldn't there be just a slight modification of the program running the transporter to reassemble you a little differently?  Five foot two, eyes of blue?   ;)
They did that in Next Generation where the away team returned to the ship as children. Besides that, I have one blue eye and one brown and I like being different.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Wednesday

Quote from: Dena on July 15, 2017, 01:33:42 PM
They did that in Next Generation where the away team returned to the ship as children. Besides that, I have one blue eye and one brown and I like being different.

And not to forget what Borg customized nanoprobes (VOY) can do for you!
"Witches were a bit like cats" - Terry Pratchett
  •  

Julia1996

I came across deepspace nine on Netflix so I decided to check it out. I totally didn't like OT at all. All the stuff with the profits and all was really annoying and boring.
Julia
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

baseballfan

Quote from: Julia1996 on July 29, 2017, 10:58:57 AM
I came across deepspace nine on Netflix so I decided to check it out. I totally didn't like OT at all. All the stuff with the profits and all was really annoying and boring.
Julia

It gets better in the later seasons.  Like most Star Trek series, it starts off slowly.  But they go to total war in the later seasons. 
Right now, I only go by Jessica on this forum.  Maybe someday I'll go by Jessica everywhere.
  •  

Wednesday

Quote from: baseballfan on July 29, 2017, 12:41:06 PM
It gets better in the later seasons.  Like most Star Trek series, it starts off slowly.  But they go to total war in the later seasons.

No starship wandering through the galaxy, no fun :D
  •  

baseballfan

Quote from: Wednesday on July 29, 2017, 01:13:23 PM

Fair enough.  Voyager is actually my favorite since I grew up watching it.  Went back and watched DS9 recently on Netflix and I appreciated it more as an adult than I did as kid.  The characters are maybe the best in all of Trek imo, and they really explore some adult themes with war, sacrifice and humanity (ie what would it take for the human race to abandon its principles) that went way over my head as a kid.  Honestly watching it in 2016-17 there were a lot of points the show made that really hit close to home on today's political situation.
Right now, I only go by Jessica on this forum.  Maybe someday I'll go by Jessica everywhere.
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: baseballfan on July 29, 2017, 06:44:56 PM
Fair enough.  Voyager is actually my favorite since I grew up watching it.  Went back and watched DS9 recently on Netflix and I appreciated it more as an adult than I did as kid.  The characters are maybe the best in all of Trek imo, and they really explore some adult themes with war, sacrifice and humanity (ie what would it take for the human race to abandon its principles) that went way over my head as a kid.  Honestly watching it in 2016-17 there were a lot of points the show made that really hit close to home on today's political situation.

Voyager is my favorite too plus it's the only series that I've seen all the episodes. I did watch the last one with Scott what's his name. It was so slow and totally not impressive so I only watched like 3 of those. I have watched a couple from the original series but I found the special effects totally cheesy. I know it was like a low budget show and for the 50s I guess the effects were ok I just couldn't get into it. There is a new series coming out so maybe that one will be good.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Wednesday

Quote from: baseballfan on July 29, 2017, 06:44:56 PM

Yup. I recently watched the full 7 seasons of VOY and I have to admit that it has its charm. Anyway my absolutely favourite still is TNG. On the other hand I think I saw half a dozen DS9 episodes then I gave up but I might give it another try.

To be honest first two VOY seasons were not really that good imho, but since 3rd season the thing improved a lot, specially 4th and 5th seasons. 6th was just OK, and 7th... I didn't like how they closed, but it wasn't a disaster either. I also have to point that, unlike in TNG, they really abuse time travel on VOY lol (something I just cant stand in scifi lol). Got to admit the characters were good, but I still prefer Data over 7of9 and Picard over Janeway.

About character relationships... come on!  :D So much closeness throghout the entire series between Janeway and Chakotay... and he ends up dating 7of9! ??? No way! Janeway ends having two anecdotal romances with an hologram programed by her (I have to admit the idea as interesting at least lol) and a secondary character after losing part of her memories? No no no! >:( Doc ending up with a trophy wife in last episode? Nonsense! The only couple that made sense to me were Tom and B'Elanna (they're just like a couple I know in real life lol).

Quote from: Julia1996
There is a new series coming out so maybe that one will be good.

I wish, but I prefer to keep my expectations low lol. Anyway I'm really looking forward into it.
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Julia1996 on July 29, 2017, 06:54:37 PM
Voyager is my favorite too plus it's the only series that I've seen all the episodes. I did watch the last one with Scott what's his name. It was so slow and totally not impressive so I only watched like 3 of those. I have watched a couple from the original series but I found the special effects totally cheesy. I know it was like a low budget show and for the 50s I guess the effects were ok I just couldn't get into it. There is a new series coming out so maybe that one will be good.
I am sad  :( Scott Bakula is a truly great actor and proved it in Quantum Leap. Each week he had to play a different character including on several occasions, women.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Dena on July 29, 2017, 07:33:52 PM
I am sad  :( Scott Bakula is a truly great actor and proved it in Quantum Leap. Each week he had to play a different character including on several occasions, women.
What's quantum leap? I didn't know he was in anything else but that star trek. I didn't mean the acting was bad. Just the stories were slow and boring. I always thought it was dumb that the had a transporter but were afraid to put people in it. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Dena

Quantum Leap. It's about not knowing his name and not about the writing  ;D
  •  

Julia1996

Oh ok. That seems like it would be a cool show. Wow, he was pretty hot when he was young.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Wednesday

He was!

To me even today he's got his charm!
  •  

baseballfan

Quote from: Julia1996 on July 29, 2017, 06:54:37 PM

I agree with you on the Original.  I don't know how it made it so big (although it was the 60's not 50's).  I suppose it is just one of those things as someone who was born in the 80s and grew up in the 90s I just cant appreciate it.  Like how I love the 90s sitcoms I grew up with but the new generation probably things they're dumb and dated (which they are but I love them anyway).

The new series looks promising but you'll have to pay for CBS All-Access to watch it.  We'll see how that goes.  People who get subscriptions will be getting them simply for the show, as there is little reason to sign up otherwise.  I will probably be one of them.
  •  

baseballfan

Quote from: Wednesday on July 29, 2017, 07:17:58 PM
Yup. I recently watched the full 7 seasons of VOY and I have to admit that it has its charm. Anyway my absolutely favourite still is TNG. On the other hand I think I saw half a dozen DS9 episodes then I gave up but I might give it another try.

To be honest first two VOY seasons were not really that good imho, but since 3rd season the thing improved a lot, specially 4th and 5th seasons. 6th was just OK, and 7th... I didn't like how they closed, but it wasn't a disaster either. I also have to point that, unlike in TNG, they really abuse time travel on VOY lol (something I just cant stand in scifi lol). Got to admit the characters were good, but I still prefer Data over 7of9 and Picard over Janeway.

About character relationships... come on!  :D So much closeness throghout the entire series between Janeway and Chakotay... and he ends up dating 7of9! ??? No way! Janeway ends having two anecdotal romances with an hologram programed by her (I have to admit the idea as interesting at least lol) and a secondary character after losing part of her memories? No no no! >:( Doc ending up with a trophy wife in last episode? Nonsense! The only couple that made sense to me were Tom and B'Elanna (they're just like a couple I know in real life lol).

I wish, but I prefer to keep my expectations low lol. Anyway I'm really looking forward into it.

I would agree with you about Voyager not taking off until season 3.  Although I would say the same about TNG and DS9.  The first season of TNG was especially brutal.  It is amazing that show made it past the first season.  I love all three shows so I wont try to trash one of them.  I like Voyager the best, then probably TNG and DS9....but they're all pretty great.

Yeah it was weird that Janeway had relationships with holographic characters.....I agree with that.  Although you could argue as the captain it would be unethical for her to date other members of the crew.  Janeway and Chakotay made a lot of sense though.  I also like Tom and Torres.....agree that was the best relationship on the show.  I am glad they didn't have everyone pair off though.  Overall, though, I agree with most of what you said. 
  •  

patstar

Ohhhh, interesting stuff here!  I was once a HUGE Star Trek.  I've: watched the original series episodes many, many times over—seen all movies—went to the conventions—watched all the series, other than really the
last one (although this one really did have its moments)—and have easily read over a dozen ST novels. 

I  love most of the other shows, but without the original series vision and "magic" The rest of it wouldn't exist (somewhat like the charisma of the first James Bond). How interesting that the much maligned (by Trek fans) Voyager is getting quite a few votes here!

Somewhat sadly, I have kind of outgrown StarTrek fandom; I've largely decided inner space is at least as interesting as outer space.  And the probable reality of long space voyages has taken a good deal of the romance out of it (LOTS of recycling—ewwww).  However, I love the new movies and take on Star Trek, and I hear there's going to be a new series this fall, hmmmm.....?

Well wishes to all. Patrice
  •  

Wednesday

Wheeeeeeeeee!!

Quote from: baseballfan
Yeah it was weird that Janeway had relationships with holographic characters.....I agree with that.

Yeah! It was like, she was a powerful character, I was expecting she was going for the most alpha guy on that side of the galaxy and... gets caught with a low-end hologram? ??? Hello? :D Also I got really puzzled bout Chakotay since both had some "really almost there" moments even in the first seasons, can't get why screenwithers weren't for that one.

Quote from: baseballfanI am glad they didn't have everyone pair off though.  Overall, though, I agree with most of what you said.

Agreed! Actually they made quite a few, and all of them in the final seasons (what turned maybe a little bit forced imho).

Quote from: patstat
and have easily read over a dozen ST novels.

That's definitely going for more lore! :D

Quote from: patstar
How interesting that the much maligned (by Trek fans) Voyager is getting quite a few votes here!

If those unfortunated fanboys get here to mess I got all my no-joke-rock-hard scifi stuff ready :3 lol haha

Quote from: patstar
And the probable reality of long space voyages has taken a good deal of the romance out of it (LOTS of recycling—ewwww).

Aw, don't say that!

I'm really always on the optimistic side, but interstellar travel is no joke though. Fastest thing we got out there is Juno at 0.025% the speed of light (right now getting Jupiter's orbit boost). Stepping one magnitude order up we would still be at 2.45% speed of light, no way to go.

If my guess is right, one of our best choices would be developing the bussard ramjet but is expected to get 20% spl at best and we would still need to develop plenty of stuff to build the fusion engine. Alpha Centauri holiday (what may not have nothing more than boring asteroids on its orbit lol) would be a 40 years trip (including coming back). Not practical without bringing before a pretty big human lifespan extension :'( Not even to speak about reaching farest stars!  :'(

I'm just conjecturing, but  I can't see getting 70-80% spl anytime soon, and it would be slow yet >.<

For going faster than light (if even possible) phew... my bet it won't be happening before getting at least 2 more math/phys paradigm changes (like from classical to relativistic mechanics) plus a hella good engineering (and if you ask me, we need get gravity right and then the rest of the subatomical framework neatly integrated to fully complete the actual change of paradigm).

An awful lot of work! D'oh! :laugh:
  •  

Dena

The warp drive doesn't work by allowing you to travel faster than light. What it does is to compress space so you can travel vastly large distances at sub light speed. It's kind of along the idea of a worm hole except instead of a short cut, you still travel through space but the distances is much smaller. Now imagine what would happen if you activated the warp drive with a planet in the warp field.

The energy required to compress space would be enormous and that's why they suggest a matter/anti matter reaction to power the ship.
  •  

Wednesday

Quote from: Dena on July 31, 2017, 03:08:05 AM
The warp drive doesn't work by allowing you to travel faster than light. What it does is to compress space so you can travel vastly large distances at sub light speed. It's kind of along the idea of a worm hole except instead of a short cut, you still travel through space but the distances is much smaller. Now imagine what would happen if you activated the warp drive with a planet in the warp field.

The energy required to compress space would be enormous and that's why they suggest a matter/anti matter reaction to power the ship.

That's right! I think navigation/flight computers would be a challenge in warping travels, a pretty big one. Excuse the mistake, I was using FTL term pretty loosely!

Definitely the mat/antimat is full efficiency fuel, but costs to produce antimat are no joke either!

Just conjecturing, maybe in a couple of shifts with really more advanced math/phys it would be possible to do the warp trick without going through "classical" energy generation procedures, but I know this is more fantasy than serious speculation right now :D

Anyway, for example, giving the existence of time-space singularities, it looks like we may get a tiny chance to get to learn nice surprises about more deep and exotic universe dynamics and energy gent/management. I really wish!

Quote from: Dena
Now imagine what would happen if you activated the warp drive with a planet in the warp field.

Definitely I wouldn't want to be in that bridge when happening that. Not even if I were wearing a fully ready and pressurized space suit :D
  •  

VeronicaLynn

Quote from: Wednesday on July 29, 2017, 01:13:23 PM

They did get the Defiant in later seasons. Besides, interesting aliens came to them, as DS9 was right next to the wormhole.

What I wouldn't give to have Odo's species's ability to shapeshift...I wouldn't use it quite like he did though...
  •