Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Star Trek

Started by Lily.Arwen, October 19, 2016, 04:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christy Lee

Quote from: MistressStevie on January 03, 2018, 11:45:50 PM
I am an Originalist in Star Trek which is possibly tied to my vintage.  Spock, Kirk, Bones & Scotty set a standard that others have been trying to reach since.  Lt. Uhura on the bridge, Mr. Chekov a Russian Navigator, and Non-intervention were pushing many an envelop in their day. 

Lt. Dax in DS9 always intrigued me and I felt was underutilized for what she could have done with scripts. 

Another reason for this post is pointing out how inspired by the original Star Trek the first episode of NetFlix's Black Mirror was for season 4.  If you have Netflix,  The episode USS Callister presented many a great parody of the original with new ideas from intervening 50 years of technology growth.

OT but Black Mirror is amazing
Whose that girll?
ITS CHRISTY

02/05/2018
Started Therapy
  •  

Julia1996

Oh yes. I totally love black mirror too.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Artesia

I guess I have to go watch black mirror.
All the worlds a joke, and the people, merely punchlines

September 13, 2016 HRT start date
  •  

Jailyn

Only one series?!!!!! That is asking a lot. My 2 favorites are DS9 and voyager. They really spread our knowledge of the star trek universe and introduce many new species, planets, beliefs and other things. they are great. Now I like the new one but, haven't been able to watch much of it to get into it yet!
  •  

Cassi

Live long and flower!
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Cassi

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

AnnMarie2017

Quote from: Lily.Arwen on October 19, 2016, 04:34:25 PM
Any Trek fans here?

If so, which is your favourite series and why?

I loved TOS when that's all there was; but TNS is far better, imho. Better acting, better scripts, better character development. Favorite episodes include: The Outcast (of course); Parallels; and Who Watches the Watchers, which I regard as the best episode of the series because of the questions it raises, the way it answers them, the purity of the character portrayals and the dynamics of the relationship between Picard and Nuria. The actress who plays Nuria is so good at it I just want to stand up and cheer. The script is just plain outstanding. There are multiple points where just thinking about the dialogue brings tears to my eyes.

I own both series on DVD. DSN had some great characters; but I always found it a little depressing. The animosity between Sisko and Picard, and Sisko's character in general, hung over everything like a dark cloud. Voyager was fun, but probably the weakest entry of the four. I never saw Enterprise.
  •  

Christy Lee

The last couple of episodes of Star Trek Discovery have been mind blowing

Wow
Whose that girll?
ITS CHRISTY

02/05/2018
Started Therapy
  •  

Cassi

Totally didn't expect things to go the way they have with Discovery and the Empire.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

AnamethatstartswithE

Quote from: Cali on January 15, 2018, 10:00:19 AM
Totally didn't expect things to go the way they have with Discovery and the Empire.

Yeah, it looks like this will be the main arc for the rest of the season.I have to say I like it a lot more than thefirst half with the whole war arc. The pilot was so badI just ignored it all fall, CBS had a free month deal over new years so I gave it a shot. who knows it could be like TNG, they started out terribly.
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: AnamethatstartswithE on January 15, 2018, 10:15:14 AM
Yeah, it looks like this will be the main arc for the rest of the season.I have to say I like it a lot more than thefirst half with the whole war arc. The pilot was so badI just ignored it all fall, CBS had a free month deal over new years so I gave it a shot. who knows it could be like TNG, they started out terribly.

I remember my wife and I being all excited that there was going to be a new Star Trek series (ST - Next Gen) and when it finally aired were happy but had to wait until the characters developed.  Sadly, a lot of shows are on for a few episodes and characters never get the chance to develop.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

VeronicaLynn

Any thoughts to the new Star Trek series recently announced with Patrick Stewart back as Jean-Luc Picard?

This was basically everything I was wanting earlier in this thread...and then some, I mean if they want to take it just forward to approximately how far Patrick Stewart has aged since the movies, that's even better than what I was hoping for.

•  

Lucca

Oh, I am very much looking forward to it. I haven't been interested in checking out Discovery (nor have I even bothered to see Enterprise) since I'm not terribly interested in prequels as a general rule, but I'd love to see the TNG/DS9/VOY era continue into the future.
  •  

MichelleF82

TOS changed the way people thought of scifi (still havnt watched the whole thing through), but TNG changed the way people thought. Even early on Gene was using aliens to talk about narratives that other show writers weren't willing to touch. Which brings one of my favorite episodes to mind, the androgynous race and their A2F woman, and Rikers mad crush on her. That, and ALL the Barclay episodes ;) 
DS9 was a tad slow, not being able to leave their station for the first 3 seasons, but that did give room to great character development and world building like we hadnt seen before in a star trek. 

OMG, Voyager!, Janeway is SUCH a strong female role model. Plus, the idea  of being cast out to nowhere familiar, struggling to survive, watching resourses. Gives the Star Trek model so much more of a realistic feel. Akin to Frefly, which I suppose is for another thread.
Havent watched the new ones yet. It's been a long road...
  •  

GingerVicki

Voyager is the best.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Live long and prosper!

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

MichelleF82

Quote from: VeronicaLynn on June 20, 2017, 05:26:33 PM

I would really much rather see a next, next generation that took place after DS9 and Voyager. I guess the writers are too lazy to invent new characters and even more advanced technology.

If you are looking to explore canon content in this era,  Star Trek Online is a 8? year old, free to play MMO game(I havent dropped a penny into it) that they are still updating, and still has a fanbase.
  •  

RabbitSpectre

I love that Voyager had a female captain, finally, and the actress is amazing, but I hated the writing. The writers for that show were a little lacking in comparison to everything before it. I also think having her side with the Borg in the Species 8472 arc was a betrayal of her character. They could have done so much more with Janeway and her crew.

My fav is DS9.

I'd like to ask everyone a fun question
Which characters from your favorite series would you most likely be friends with?

Mine:
Jadzia Dax
Julian Bashir
Worf
Quark

•  

Jin

Quote from: RabbitSpectre on October 04, 2018, 04:20:35 PM

I'd like to ask everyone a fun question
Which characters from your favorite series would you most likely be friends with?

I always want to be Yeoman Janice Rand from the real series. The uniform had the cutest skirts!
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.
  •  

DustKitten

The only one I've watched a lot of was TNG, so that one. I really liked what I saw of DS9 but idk if I'll ever finish it. TNG was part of my childhood, but I think it's harder for me to become a trekkie as an adult, when none of my friends care about the show. :P

I think I'd go with Jadzia Dax for the friend-thing too, and maybe Julian Bashir. The DS9 characters were definitely more relatable for me. Between those two, I like Dax more. If I had to pick a character from TNG I guess I'd say Data or Geordi La Forge-- Picard's personality appeals to me more than theirs, but I kinda have issues with relaxing around authority figures so I don't think we'd make good friends.
  •