Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

School allows male student to wear skirts to school

Started by Kate Thomas, January 25, 2006, 12:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate Thomas

"But who is that on the other side of you?"
T.S. Eliot
  •  

Sara

I get it he was only making a statement about the shorts not that he was standing up for the rights of others who may choose to wear skirts boy or girl.

Sara.
  •  

Dennis

Yep, but he's still made a step forward for others.

Dennis
  •  

Cassandra

I don't know. I think there is more to this guy wearing a skirt than just a protest about a no shorts policy. Seems more like a convieniant excuse to try and have your cake and eat it too. As in wearing feminine clothes without coming out. I believe the motives to be suspect.

Cassie
  •  

Kimberly

Quotes from: http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--skirtsinschool0124jan24,0,24346.story?coll=ny-region-apnewjersey
Quote from: external webpage...
A male high school student from Bergen County will allowed to wear a skirt to school after the American Civil Liberties Union intervened on his behalf.
A as in single, that one in particular. Where is the advancement for the whole?

Quote from: external webpage...
That was when his mother contacted the ACLU, which in turn contacted the superintendent on Jan. 3. The organization protested that all students _ not just girls _ are entitled to wear skirts, and that Coviello's fashion statement is protected by the First Amendment.

Last week, the district agreed that Coviello could wear skirts.
So, all students should be able to, yet they only say one in particular can.

For some reason I am not seeing progress here.
  •  

Dennis

How would they stop another student from wearing a skirt if they've agreed to one?

Dennis
  •  

Kimberly

Yes, but since when has authority of any kind played by the rules and or been reasonable?

Sure, it might be easier now but at a guess the next will have to fight too. Speculation of course though.
  •  

Sara

Cant say Id like to see every guy wear a skirt. My life is already confusing without that.

Sara.
  •  

Chaunte

Quote from: Sara on January 25, 2006, 10:21:19 PM
Cant say Id like to see every guy wear a skirt. My life is already confusing without that.

Sara.

Soooo, we're just skirting around the topic?

(I couldn't resist!)

Chaunte
  •  

Dennis

Now, now, Chaunte. Make sure you ad-dress the topic at hand.

Dennis
  •  

Shelley

Careful next thing you know someone will start getting shirty.

Shelley
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hmmmmmmm from reading the article it just seems like a simple protest that shorts are not allowed in school but skirts are.  It would also seem that the school administration is a little out to lunch on this whole episode.

ShrugI don't see it as being related to the Trans Community.  But that's just me :)

Steph
  •  

michelle

I can't wait until the discussion turns to how short a skirt a boy can wear.   Does it have to be full length,  knee length, or are mini skirts allowed?          :icon_dance: :icon_2gun:
Be true to yourself.  The future will reveal itself in its own due time.    Find the calm at the heart of the storm.    I own my womanhood.

I am a 69-year-old transsexual school teacher grandma & lady.   Ethnically I am half Irish  and half Scandinavian.   I can be a real bitch or quite loving and caring.  I have never taken any hormones or had surgery, I am out 24/7/365.
  •  

Dennis

I don't think this specific case is trans-related, Steph. But it might make it easier for some kid who's dealing with trans issues to hide and claim he wants to wear skirts because he can't wear shorts.

Or, if a kid was trans, he could say that if one kid is allowed to wear skirts, any kid should be able to.

Sometimes in law, the better cases come from side effects of the original decision.

Dennis
  •