News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

I'm a sort of pro but mostly lazy photographer

Started by Raell, November 10, 2016, 08:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raell

Hi!

I am a bird photographer hobbyist, who also uploads more standard type photos to a mini stock photo website, so could technically be called a "pro" although I only have a few hundred pics submitted. Since I only get 25-50 cents a purchase, and only sold a few so far, not really a money-maker.

I hate to mess with my camera, so put my camera settings on auto.

My latest camera is a Canon EOS 7d Mark ll with various sized Canon lenses, including a Canon EOS 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM lens. I take handheld photos, on location in swamps and jungles.

I take more standard, boring photos for the stock photo website. http://www.bigstockphoto.com/search/?contributor=Racheltrvler&safesearch=n

I have a Flickr account, but lately have been neglecting it. https://www.flickr.com/photos/129414978@N04/

I feel good when happily blending into the jungle and getting photos of birds and/or animals who either see me and don't care, or don't notice me.

•  

Dena

There is nothing wrong with automatic settings if they can catch the image you are after. In my case, I sometimes like to go after the image that the automatic settings are unable to capture. These are mostly low light time exposures but sometimes include cases where the light meter in the camera is fooled and manual settings are the only way to bring out the desired image. The real work in photography is seeing the image and properly framing the image. Many people might walk by the image and never see it but a skilled photographer can see images worth capturing everywhere.

The other thing that makes a skilled photographer is knowing which images not to show anybody else. We all take images that we shouldn't but our discard pile should be sizable. If you ever sat through somebodies vacation picture you understand what I mean. I looked at your collection and I see the skill behind it. Yes, not all of your pictures are of interest to everybody but everybody should be able to find something of interest in your collection.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •